Legal requirements and a garage to inspect an L300/Manitoba

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
Brandelica Winnipegger
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 super exceed

L300 Super exceed safety inspection Manitoba

Post by Brandelica Winnipegger »

Hello,

I am desperately searching for a garage who will do a safety inspection and compliance work for MANITOBA M.P.I. safety certification. If there is anyone who knows a place who will do this, please advise. Frank Motors in Winnipeg has told me that "MPI has instructed them not to do safeties on JDM vehicles". I talked to MPI, who said otherwise, but did say that the Manitoba requirements are different than other provinces and the modifications and requirements for compliance are prohibitive.

The van we have now was certified and up to spec. in B.C., and when we drove to MB, we switched the plates no problem, but to re-sell in Manitoba, there are obstacles of B.S. in the way. The trade-in values are low in B.C. for these L300, and we can sell it here no problem, if only we can get the safety cert. signed off.

So, I would like to sell my van in Manitoba, and purchase an L400 this summer when we go back to the coast. Used vehicles must have a safety compliance certification for resale in Manitoba.

It seems the provincial government and the garages who work for them are in collusion against JDM in Manitoba.

If there are Manitoban JDM dealers out there, or mechanics who will do this safety cert. PLEASE ADVISE A.S.A.P.

Thank you a million, Brandelica.
Brandelica Winnipegger

Legal requirements and a garage to inspect an L300/Manitoba

Hello, I am posting this letter in a few different categories, thank you for your patience, I am trying to get some advice:

I am desperately searching for a garage who will do a safety inspection and compliance work for MANITOBA M.P.I. safety certification. If there is anyone who knows a place who will do this, please advise. Frank Motors in Winnipeg has told me that "MPI has instructed them not to do safeties on JDM vehicles". I talked to MPI, who said otherwise, but did say that the Manitoba requirements are different than other provinces and the modifications and requirements for compliance are prohibitive.

The van we have now was certified and up to spec. in B.C., and when we drove to MB, we switched the plates no problem, but to re-sell in Manitoba, there are obstacles of B.S. in the way. The trade-in values are low in B.C. for these L300, and we can sell it here no problem, if only we can get the safety cert. signed off.

So, I would like to sell my van in Manitoba, and purchase an L400 this summer when we go back to the coast. Used vehicles must have a safety compliance certification for resale in Manitoba.

It seems the provincial government and the garages who work for them are in collusion against JDM in Manitoba.

If there are Manitoban JDM dealers out there, or mechanics who will do this safety cert. PLEASE ADVISE A.S.A.P.

Brandelica Winnipegger

'92 Super Exceed Manitoba

Hello, I am posting this letter in a few different categories, thank you for your patience, I am trying to get some advice:

Brandelica Winnipegger

Manitoba Super Exceed Safety

RichD

Re: Manitoba Super Exceed Safety

Post by RichD »

The etiquette on a forum here is not to spam multiple categories but to use General (this one) and a moderator will bump you into the correct category.

As for your predicament, well you are honest about your motives but I'm not sure its in the interest of any of the parties you mention to help you.

The province is going to want to discourage the practice of private parties "importing" vehicles into the market just to make a buck. That's in the interest of the insurer and the consumer and the dealers, which is central to their mandate.

The JDM dealers aren't looking to help you bring another vehicle into the market unless maybe you put it on consignment with them and they can make a buck.

Perhaps if you put BC plates back on it you will have better luck as you can sell it to another party with compliance as their responsibility?
Richard Dagenais
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Possible alternative is to sell it in BC if that's feasible for you.
Brandelica Winnipegger

Hello, thank you, Rich D.
I appreciate your consideration. If you have the time, please explain how discouraging private parties from importing vehicles from another jurisdiction is in the interest of the insurer, and the consumer. I can see how dealers may not want the extra vehicle on the market, but what interest is served for the consumer or how does MPI benefit from disallowing re-sale? When our dollar is at par with the U.S., many people import vehicles for resale from America, and MPI has no problem with these...And the people who buy these cars benefit too.

In my case, the van we got two years ago and brought to MB did not fit in our garage, it was too tall. So, two winters of outdoor parking is enough for the diesel. We are looking for another van that is a few inches lower in overall height. I looked at changing out the garage door, and looked at lowering the suspension somehow, but we thought we would just get a new van and trade in this one. The B.C. dealers offer low trade in value, so now I am trying to see about selling it in MB. I am no kind of private importer.

Does the province of B.C. discourage private parties from importing from Japan into the market just to make a buck? If so, how? I am not fluent in the business of car dealing.

Thank you for your consideration.
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Post by thedjjack »

I would ask the shop either to perform the inspection or give you in writing they are refusing to provide a service that you are legislate to purchase from private shops.

If they refuse or give you a letter then go after the government since they require in law to get the inspection and the failure of the system to provide it.

There should be no difference for the inspection regardless of what type of vehicle. Either you meet the requirements or make adjustments.

How, did you originally get plates (I have no idea how Manitoba works)?

Also, free enterprise...even if you are an private importer why should you not be allowed to be (In BC you are allowed to sell x number of vehicles per year without being registered as a dealer).
RichD

Post by RichD »

Sorry I misread your post to mean you had brought the truck to MB with the intention of capitalizing on market scarcity. Funny how things read differently on a 24" screen in the evening than they do on an iPhone in line waiting for morning coffee at *$.

I agree with DJJACK's proposal; get it in writing. Since there is no official policy they ultimately aren't allowed to discriminate against you with impunity.
Richard Dagenais

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”