Quebec RHD Ban

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5973
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 am

It was from the second one that I copied and pasted the "NOT FOUND" notice. Tried again just now, no joy.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Green1
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:18 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Contact:

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Green1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am

mararmeisto wrote:Try the second one Falco.

My question still remains: who's interest was this in? Reading the 'announcement' (which seemingly has no link to the study) I see two things: kei vehicles are being specifically targeted because of lack-of-crash-testing (okay, that sounds fair), and JDMs between 15 and 25 years old are being targeted (notice that the notice indicates that vehicles over 25 are not subject to the prohibition). So, who's got a burr under their saddle because of the influx of JDMs?

This is being pushed by CADA (Canadian Auto Dealers Association) they have been pushing hard in every province. They are also the ones behind ICBC's BS on the subject (It becomes pretty obvious when you see that the upper management in ICBC comes directly from CADA)

Kei vehicles are being targeted not for lack of crash testing, but because the minister doesn't eve know what a kei vehicle IS, she admitted this point blank when confronted in meetings. as for "sounds fair"... what part of ILLEGAL ban don't you understand? there is nothing "fair" about this. the minister has broken the law to ban vehicles in support of third party financial interests. she should be held accountable for this! the quebec study was done studying only high power sports cars, and only young, male drivers. in other words, it tells us the same thing every insurance company in the world has been saying for decades, young kids in high power cars have more accidents. nothing to do with RHD!

User avatar
Profister
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 PE8W Chamonix, EFI
Location: North Vancouver, BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Profister » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 am

right-hand Drive Vehicles

On October 26, 2009, the prohibition against right-hand drive vehicles operating on public roads was once again in effect. The prohibition is valid for a period of 180 days and will allow the SAAQ to receive comments from the public for the first 90 days.

The SAAQ wishes to remind drivers that imported vehicles that are over 15 years old are covered by the prohibition, since they have not been subject to Transport Canada standards concerning motor vehicle safety because of their date of manufacture. Vehicles equipped with right-hand drive are not designed to operate on the Québec road network. Drivers do not have an optimum field of vision, which can interfere with driving manoeuvres, especially passing.

A study carried out by the SAAQ concerning accidents in 2007 and 2008 shows that operating these right-hand drive vehicles increases accident risks by 30%.

Vehicles not covered
Even if they have right-hand drive, the following vehicles are exempt from the prohibition:

* vehicles already registered in Québec before April 29, 2009, except those that have a temporary registration certificate;
* vehicles registered outside of Québec (visiting Québec);
* vehicles manufactured 25 years or more before the date on which they were imported to Canada;
* trucks with a net weight over 3,000 kg, tool vehicles and vehicles required to stop frequently along a road performing work for a public service;
* vehicles belonging to a driving school.

The SAAQ discovered that certain “light-duty” vehicles imported from Japan (known as “Kei”) had not been subject to any crash tests before October 1, 1998. Thus they do not meet minimum safety standards for travelling without restriction on public roads. These vehicles, registered before April 29, 2009, are therefore prohibited from using public roads where the posted speed limit is over 70 km/h, if they have the following features:

* 3.4 metres long or less;
* 1.48 metres wide or less;
* 2 metres high or less;
* a cylinder capacity of 660 cc or less with engine power of 47.7 kilowatts (64 hp) or less.

Owners of these types of vehicles have until December 29, 2009 to exchange their commercial or regular licence plates for a licence plate for restricted use (with the prefix C).

For the first three months of the prohibition, any interested person can send their comments to the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (choose Road safety).

And here comes the "study": http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/documents/pdf/research_report/analysis_righthand_drive.php
Image

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5973
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 am

Wow..... Isn't it amazing who and what money can buy.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Green1
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:18 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Contact:

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Green1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 pm

FalcoColumbarius wrote:Wow..... Isn't it amazing who and what money can buy.

everyone has their price... doubly true for politicians.

User avatar
mararmeisto
Posts: 3275
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 am
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Tacoma
Location: Langford, BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby mararmeisto » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Green1 wrote:Kei vehicles are being targeted not for lack of crash testing

According to the release, this is stated reason, which if such is the case makes sense. Think of it this way: what is the purpose of the kei class? High fuel economy, small-sized vehicles for an urban centre. This is exactly the same reason for the proposed LSVs here in Canada, which would be restricted from high-speed highways. Problem in Canada is that regulators are trying to crash test LSVs in high-speed situations, which they are failing horribly (duh, 'cause their not designed for it). Little different than the kei class.

One last question: what is the suggested illegality of this prohibition of inspection? Government makes the rules, now they've changed the rule, how is that illegal? It's not nice and it's inconvenient for those who were importing vehicles to QC, but that's how government works. At least they didn't outlaw them completely and require the removal of those vehicles already inspected and registered for road use.

I still think it's interesting that the prohibition is only for those vehicles within the 15-25 year range. I would concur with the thoughts it was CADA involved because they've argued for the 25-yr-rule for years (same as the Americans).
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!

Green1
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:18 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Contact:

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Green1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm

mararmeisto wrote:
Green1 wrote:Kei vehicles are being targeted not for lack of crash testing

According to the release, this is stated reason, which if such is the case makes sense.

No it doesn't make sense, the statement is that these vehicles don't meed north american standards, well of course they don't! they meet the MORE STRINGENT Japanese standards instead! CMVSS is NOT the "gold standard" they make it out to be, it is simply a protectionist measure which only masquerades as a safety standard. If safety was truly it's goal, it would include pedestrian safety standards (like the rest of the world) and would be alligned with UNECE standards, or at the very least, the US FMVSS standards upon which it is based. In fact it is simply there to protect big business (and not even Canadian big business, because very few "domestic" vehicles are at all domestic in origin)

One last question: what is the suggested illegality of this prohibition of inspection? Government makes the rules, now they've changed the rule, how is that illegal?

The government can only change a law through the democratic process, to do this there must be a vote of all the members of the Quebec National Assembly. No such vote was held, instead, they took an existing law that allows them to ban unsafe vehicles, and used it to ban a perfectly safe class of vehicles. This is ILLEGAL. they broke the law. someone needs to take them to court. because it is the ONLY way they will change it.

User avatar
Strada 92
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:26 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Strada 1992
Location: Quebec City,QC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Strada 92 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm

The SAAQ remove the link in english during the day.It's no more possible to have the link in english
SORRY,MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT THE REST OF CANADA KNOW'S IT!
Mitsubishi Strada Ralliart 1992 (sold)
Mitsubishi L400 Spacegear
Mitsubishi I-MiEV 2012

User avatar
Profister
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1999 PE8W Chamonix, EFI
Location: North Vancouver, BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Profister » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:24 pm

It looks like their IT department or at least the webmaster is not any better; you can still retrieve that page from cache as shown below.
Attachments
RHD_Q_1.JPG
RHD_Q_1.JPG (73.07 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
RHD_Q_2.JPG
RHD_Q_2.JPG (129.98 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Image

Green1
Posts: 3257
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:18 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Contact:

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Green1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm

exempt vehicles:
-trucks with a net weight over 3000kg

The delica is 2500... guess it's time to start importing Canters!

psilosin
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400
Location: BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby psilosin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Green1 wrote:exempt vehicles:
-trucks with a net weight over 3000kg

The delica is 2500... guess it's time to start importing Canters!


Thats a funny exemption... How does the mass of a vehicle has anything to do with the apparent safety of the steering wheel location. lol. Wonder what arm of business had a role in making sure that exemption was written in?

User avatar
mararmeisto
Posts: 3275
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 am
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Tacoma
Location: Langford, BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby mararmeisto » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:22 pm

psilosin wrote:
Green1 wrote:exempt vehicles:
-trucks with a net weight over 3000kg

The delica is 2500... guess it's time to start importing Canters!


Thats a funny exemption... How does the mass of a vehicle has anything to do with the apparent safety of the steering wheel location. lol. Wonder what arm of business had a role in making sure that exemption was written in?

I'm a little appalled they didn't consider colour: everyone knows that red cars go faster, so they could have prohibited ONLY red cars, allowed the others and things would be safer for everyone in Quebec. In fact, they should not allow ANY red cars, not just those that are between 15 and 25 years old, RHD, from Japan. Wouldn't that be better for all? I mean, really?
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!

User avatar
loki
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby loki » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm

mararmeisto wrote:
psilosin wrote:
Green1 wrote:exempt vehicles:
-trucks with a net weight over 3000kg

The delica is 2500... guess it's time to start importing Canters!


Thats a funny exemption... How does the mass of a vehicle has anything to do with the apparent safety of the steering wheel location. lol. Wonder what arm of business had a role in making sure that exemption was written in?

I'm a little appalled they didn't consider colour: everyone knows that red cars go faster, so they could have prohibited ONLY red cars, allowed the others and things would be safer for everyone in Quebec. In fact, they should not allow ANY red cars, not just those that are between 15 and 25 years old, RHD, from Japan. Wouldn't that be better for all? I mean, really?



yup, and cleavage causes earthquakes! (google boobquake if you don't know about this)

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5973
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Whoa.... easy Loki ~ that could have something to do with Eyjafjallajokull. Oooo I think I cracked-my-toa on that one!

You heard it first here on Delica Canada.... we're here 'til Thursday.... :?

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

User avatar
Strada 92
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:26 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Strada 1992
Location: Quebec City,QC

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Postby Strada 92 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:01 pm

The page you have is the second ban.It was just for six month.Now,they have make the third ministerial decree and that one is permanent.It's impossible to have it in english.
The info in the second are not the same in the third.Kei no more need to have a special license plate and many other things.Anyway it's bullshit.

Your point is good about truck over 3000kg.Buy a Delica and put plates of lead under the seats and wherever possible to reach 3000kg during weighing inspection 8-) !
Mitsubishi Strada Ralliart 1992 (sold)
Mitsubishi L400 Spacegear
Mitsubishi I-MiEV 2012


Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests