Quebec RHD Ban

RHD-related issues ONLY please (NOT for general political ads!)
Green1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Re: Quebec RHD Ban

Post by Green1 »

The current "ban" does not apply to any plated vehicle, in Quebec the plates stay with the vehicle even if sold, so for the time being all existing vehicles are "safe".

However, I think it is quite reasonable to assume that if they get away with the current mess, the next step will remove that same "loophole"

Unfortunately, the way our legal system works, it is very hard to take legal action until something is actually done to you. The best people to bring a legal challenge for this one are those who have bought a vehicle and are not being allowed to register it (there are many of these due to the complete lack of any notice on this change.)

For the rest of us all we can really do is support those people with words of encouragement, research, and funds if needed. We can (and MUST) also all write to our elected officials and let them know that this isn't acceptable!
drrod
Vehicle: 93 Exceed

Post by drrod »

I am wondering if any of the "registered dealers" on this forum are members of the CADA? If so, do they have any more insight regarding the current meetings taking place?
Rod
Tom1976
Vehicle: I wish...

Post by Tom1976 »

I read the whole thing this morning and I had been inquiring with the Quebec SAAQ on the RHD, the engineer refered me to the link to the 16 page research (interesting in a way) and slammed the 40% reason even before I asked for it.

Now, one HUGE detail with the whole RHD being unsafe in Quebec or any other province is the following.

How many Celicas, Skylines, Pulsars, Imprezas and other speedters like these are imported versus the more tame DElicas, Pajeros, Hilux and so on.

I would agree that a reckless 18 year old in Quebec or any other prov is more prone to crashing into me or into a wall behind the wheel of an Sports RHD rather than behind the wheel of a Pickup or a SUV.

THAT is what the study lacks in detail.

That also is why the SUV/VAN category of RHD pays the price, we pay because RH SPORTS cars are making the RHD imports look bad.
That is to me the most probable cause why Quebec wants to ban them and why BC has decided to launch the investigation for a potential ban or Driving rights increase for those who buy RHD.

I'm telling you, we pay for those who speed and who think the roads are their own personal Fast and Furious Movies.

What do you think? :? :M
Green1

Post by Green1 »

I would agree that a reckless 18 year old in Quebec or any other prov is more prone to crashing into me or into a wall behind the wheel of an Sports RHD rather than behind the wheel of a Pickup or a SUV.
poor excuse. Those same reckless people, if not in an RHD sports car, will be in an LHD sports car, and for the same money they will be in one that is in much worse shape, this means these people will be even MORE dangerous if they didn't have their RHD.

pointing fingers within the RHD community doesn't help anyone's cause.

The REAL problem with the 40% report isn't what the vehicles are, it's what they were compared to. they compared a skyline to things like an sentra, they compared people with full coverage insurance to people with liability only, they compared 16yo drivers to those in their 30s and 40s.
The report made no attempt whatsoever at a fair comparison (no surprise being that it was paid for by a special interest group with a vested interest in preventing all imports)
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Maybe it's time we (RHDrivers) came together financially and pay for a legitimate report on RHD in Canada.
Green1

Post by Green1 »

Maybe it's time we (RHDrivers) came together financially and pay for a legitimate report on RHD in Canada.
money isnt' the problem, the raw data is. To get enough data to do a legitimate report is so onerous that there isn't a single government on the entire planet that has bothered (most simply state that it's a non-issue, so they don't see a need to investigate)

What we really need to do is get the crooks out of ICBC... that place is the main problem nation wide, between them and CADA (who hand picked the head of ICBC) there is an enormous bias against imports, even american ones.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

I see your point and agree.

Filtering out the bad apples unfortunately I think is an impossibility. :evil:
Tom1976

Post by Tom1976 »

Hi Green1, of course I did not want to start pointing fingers within the RHD community, I'm actually trying to get in it but can't because of the ban in Quebec.

I do think though that like in ANY research, you have to compare apples with apples and including a skyline driver with 250 horse power engine with a 16 year old behind the wheel and me (33yrs old) behind a DELICA @ 85 hp is a HUGE difference. You WILL get wrong result (or the perfect result depending what side of the fence you're on).

What should be done is a research that only includes RHD drivers.

Show their reccord before they got themselves a RHD, and the reccord SINCE they have their RHD, that to me would show clearer result.

To be honest, unless a very neutral party does a very clear research and shares the actual data, we'll never get true/honest results.

The 26th is the end date of the temporary ban in Quebec and their own research on the matter will be made public and they'll have a decision but like everyone else, I fear the worst.

Quebec, or BC or Ontario or wherever we are, I think money is behind this...and the money comes from the people who's business gets taken from them.
Money goes a long a way unfortunately, it can corrupt everyone.

Let's just hope Quebec does not give an example to the rest of the country...although I would not be surprised.

Keep the spirits high!
Tom
Green1

Post by Green1 »

a skyline driver with 250 horse power engine with a 16 year old behind the wheel and me (33yrs old) behind a DELICA @ 85 hp is a HUGE difference.
But not really any different than a 16 year old in a mid 80s firebird vs a 33 year old in a vw microbus...
Let's just hope Quebec does not give an example to the rest of the country...although I would not be surprised.
Lets hope that the rest of the country doesn't roll over like Quebecers did. Not a single court case, not even an organized protest!
Tom1976

Post by Tom1976 »

You have to look at it this way.

The people who have the RHD currently in Qubec have an aquired right to operate it, so why would the sue?
I do not currently own one and the idea of owning one crossed my mind 3 weeks ago, I get in forums, I notice the ban in Qc, so be it, nothing I can do for now so why sue if i have not incured any expenses yet, right?

BUT! If I had spent my 11,000$ on a van and told no way buddy, you can't drive that in QC, then yes, a protest or a fight would have occured.

Don't blame RHD owners in QC, those who have the vehicle, they can still own it and drive it, why would they do anything? Has anyone who own a vehicle anywhere else gone to court?
Green1

Post by Green1 »

the only people with legal standing to sue are those who have been denied registration, being that the ban was put in place without ANY notice, I can guarantee that a LOT of people fell in to that category. But apparently they all preferred to have $10,000 lawn ornaments than to actually fight for their rights.

As for a protest, one was organized, and it looked big... then at the last minute the organizers cancelled it for no apparent reason... go figure...
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

Green1 wrote:the only people with legal standing to sue are those who have been denied registration, being that the ban was put in place without ANY notice, I can guarantee that a LOT of people fell in to that category. But apparently they all preferred to have $10,000 lawn ornaments than to actually fight for their rights.

As for a protest, one was organized, and it looked big... then at the last minute the organizers cancelled it for no apparent reason... go figure...

wouldn't the people that have vans have a right to sue because the ban will make it much harder to sell their vans at some point?
Tom1976 wrote:You have to look at it this way.

The people who have the RHD currently in Qubec have an aquired right to operate it, so why would the sue?
I do not currently own one and the idea of owning one crossed my mind 3 weeks ago, I get in forums, I notice the ban in Qc, so be it, nothing I can do for now so why sue if i have not incured any expenses yet, right?

BUT! If I had spent my 11,000$ on a van and told no way buddy, you can't drive that in QC, then yes, a protest or a fight would have occured.

Don't blame RHD owners in QC, those who have the vehicle, they can still own it and drive it, why would they do anything? Has anyone who own a vehicle anywhere else gone to court?
Same point, why do anything? there would be a huge stink from the existing owners of civics if they where banned and longer allowed to be registered as it would make it next to impossible to sell them that is the same thing here. I'm guessing the people that are currently driving RHD in Quebec don't know about the ban as they haven't tried to register one and it seems the community there is small and probably not very active.
Green1

Post by Green1 »

wouldn't the people that have vans have a right to sue because the ban will make it much harder to sell their vans at some point?
You only have legal standing if you have already been denied registration (until they deny you registration they haven't done anything illegal)
But Quebec is also a little weird that way, unlike other provinces, when you sell a vehicle in Quebec the plates go with the vehicle, it's considered a transfer and as near as I can tell, that is still allowed under the current ban, I believe that only vehicles being brought in to the province for initial registration would be denied.
Tom1976

Post by Tom1976 »

Green1 wrote:
You only have legal standing if you have already been denied registration (until they deny you registration they haven't done anything illegal)
But Quebec is also a little weird that way, unlike other provinces, when you sell a vehicle in Quebec the plates go with the vehicle, it's considered a transfer and as near as I can tell, that is still allowed under the current ban, I believe that only vehicles being brought in to the province for initial registration would be denied.

Nah, unfortunately I asked this very question.
I had my eyes on a nice 93 in Ontario.

Qc will not allow any registration at all of RHD...even if owned by an Ontarian into QC.

the guys said, and I quote "Quebec will tolerate RHD already licenced in other provinces to circulate on Qc Roads as long as they are just visiting"...

Shocking...to say the least.
I'm just heart broken really...I've been looking at home videos of owners and their Delica's in BC for weeks...these trucks are amazing...
Green1

Post by Green1 »

Tom1976 wrote: Nah, unfortunately I asked this very question.
I had my eyes on a nice 93 in Ontario.
Qc will not allow any registration at all of RHD...even if owned by an Ontarian into QC.
You completely missed what I said.
What I said was any existing vehicle REGISTERED IN QUEBEC can be re-registered by anyone else in Quebec with no problem, it's only vehicles coming in to the province that are affected, (what you asked about was a vehicle coming from a different province)

Return to “RHD Political and Legal Matters”