Switch above gas release lever

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Mr. Flibble
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Switch above gas release lever

Post by Mr. Flibble »

I have figured out what all the numerous buttons do in my Delica L400 - except the little black rocker switch directly above the fuel release door lever. Down appears to be off, and up appears to be on... but for what? What does this little round black rocker switch do?
Canadian living in Washington USA
RichD

Re: Switch above gas release lever

Post by RichD »

This will activate the flux capacitor. Be sure not to achieve 88MPH without sufficient fuel to return from the past/future.
fluxcapacitorebay.jpg
fluxcapacitorebay.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Richard Dagenais
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Oh man... I had such an issue with the flux capacitor. I found that "rattling" the flux capacitor switch helps ~ but that is on the Starwagon, not sure about the Space Gear. I always take a jerry can with me to insure I have the correct rating of LSD as often the places I visit have yet to discover it.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

On my L400 there are 3 switches there, depending on what options you have as to what switches you have:

left switch: "A/T mode", this changes your transmission between "power" "normal" and "hold" modes (power holds a gear longer for more power on acceleration, normal is just that "normal", and hold starts the vehicle in second gear instead of first for slippery conditions) lights will appear in the instrument cluster for the "power" and "hold" modes.

middle switch: shows a picture of a windshield with a wavy line at the bottom, this is for the heated windshield, works great to aid in the defrost process, and keep the wipers from freezing up in nasty sleet and such

right switch: "i", this is for the power parking pole, touching this switch raises a pole in the front passenger corner of the bumper so that you can better judge the corner of the vehicle when parking, touching it again will lower the pole (pole does take some time to raise far enough to be seen from the driver's seat) the pole also has a small green light on the top of it to make it more visible at night. the pole will also lower automatically when you shut off the engine.

Now it is also possible on this, or any 15 year old vehicle, that someone has added other switches for after market components. I should also say that just because the switch is there for any of these options does not mean that the option itself is still there (ie you could have the "i" switch, but the pole may have been removed at some point, or the whole bumper changed)

***edit*** re-reading your post, it sounds to me like you are in fact talking about an after market switch added in to what is normally a round blank plastic spot about an inch above the fuel door release lever. in that case, as it is not a factory switch, the only way to find out what it does is to trace the wiring, in many of these vehicles you will find all sorts of wiring and switches leading to after market components that were removed before sale, such as extra spot/fog/flood lights, TVs, radios, alarms, disco balls (yes, I have seen one of those in a delica!), etc, etc. In my L400 there were 2 switches left behind, 1 controlled extra reversing lights (which I have since re-connected) the other one, I have no idea, but it sure tied in to a LOT of extra wiring... I pulled out a ton of wiring from behind the dash, the kick panel by the accelerator pedal, under the carpet, and under the hood, what it all connected to I have no idea, but this thing was wired for a LOT of stuff at some point in the past!
Mr. Flibble

Post by Mr. Flibble »

Green1 wrote: ***edit*** re-reading your post, it sounds to me like you are in fact talking about an after market switch added in to what is normally a round blank plastic spot about an inch above the fuel door release lever. in that case, as it is not a factory switch, the only way to find out what it does is to trace the wiring, in many of these vehicles you will find all sorts of wiring and switches leading to after market components that were removed before sale, such as extra spot/fog/flood lights, TVs, radios, alarms, disco balls (yes, I have seen one of those in a delica!), etc, etc. In my L400 there were 2 switches left behind, 1 controlled extra reversing lights (which I have since re-connected) the other one, I have no idea, but it sure tied in to a LOT of extra wiring... I pulled out a ton of wiring from behind the dash, the kick panel by the accelerator pedal, under the carpet, and under the hood, what it all connected to I have no idea, but this thing was wired for a LOT of stuff at some point in the past!
Yep, that is the spot I was talking about. I totally agree with you on the wiring. I have extra PIAA fog lights and a "backup sensor" on the dash (that does not seem to work) and a bunch of wiring in the right window pillar that makes me think that it was part of a gauge pod or something. There are marks on the top of the dash from stickers, which were probably for a bevy of gauges, and there is a spot that almost certainly held a turbo timer at one point.

I have to head to the US for 2 weeks, so I left Starbug with Mardy so he can take a look at a few electrical bits I am having some issues with. He will probably know what that switch is for after looking at the wiring, but if not, I will trace it when I get back and figure it out!

(For the rest of you L400 owners, you can get a laugh out of this - I was testing my 4x4 this weekend and today, and I could not for the life of me get it into 4X4 Low Range. I knew I had to put it in neutral, but I did not know you have to push DOWN on the shifter to get it into 4X4 Low Range. Looks like the little light that highlights the "PRESS" marker on the shifter has burned out, and I just saw it barely in a difference in color on the shifter. Until I saw this, and figured out how to get it into 4X4 low I was certain that feature was broken on my Deli! :shock: )
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

Mr. Flibble wrote:Looks like the little light that highlights the "PRESS" marker on the shifter has burned out, and I just saw it barely in a difference in color on the shifter. Until I saw this, and figured out how to get it into 4X4 low I was certain that feature was broken on my Deli! :shock: )
Your shifter is illuminated???? mine certainly isn't... mind posting a picture?
Mr. Flibble

Post by Mr. Flibble »

Green1 wrote:
Mr. Flibble wrote:Looks like the little light that highlights the "PRESS" marker on the shifter has burned out, and I just saw it barely in a difference in color on the shifter. Until I saw this, and figured out how to get it into 4X4 low I was certain that feature was broken on my Deli! :shock: )
Your shifter is illuminated???? mine certainly isn't... mind posting a picture?
No, actually it isn't - but it sure looks like it should be. The shift to 4X4 low is written in black on a black background! It says "PRESS" in black on black - which is very much a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy moment.

This lead me to believe that it had a light in it to illuminate the further shift after going into 4X4 Locked High. That, or all the white paint fell off the shifter from the inside...

(In Phoenix Arizona at the moment, or I would post photos)

Return to “L400 Technical”