White and blue smoke when starting up with rattling engine

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
shaley
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 2001 L400 Delica

Post by shaley »

Hello everyone!

Recently I had an oil change and ever since I have had issues starting it up when cold. When it was first done the start up would be smokier than usual with a lot of white smoke and rattling that would go away after it had warmed up. I brought it back into the mechanic and they ensured me that it was the correct oil put in and the levels were correct as well. A week later I am still having the same issues however I am noticing a light blue smoke as well. It also smells terrible and I just had a guy drive by and tell me that I am burning oil, we checked the dip stick and the oil was at the correct level. I called the mechanics who did the oil change and they again said they were 99.5% certain that they put in the correct oil.

I really don't know what to do! It is difficult to find people in Whistler who work on these vehicles and I don't feel competent to work on it myself. Has anyone had this issue before? Is it bad to drive it when it smells like burning oil?
Khrolar
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/VD
Vehicle: 1994 L400, LWB, Super Exceed

Post by Khrolar »

Well something is definitely wrong, it should not be smoking that much or smell like burning oil.
First off what year and model is your deli, and is it gas or Diesel?
Can you ask the shop what grade oil they used?
You said it clears up after the engine warm up, if it's a diesel, do you feel confident/comfortable checking the glow plugs for a bad plug? If you search the forums there's a couple good reads on this.

Return to “L400 Technical”