4g64 Burning tanker loads of Oil

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Rain_Coast
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica L400

4g64 Burning tanker loads of Oil

Post by Rain_Coast »

Top end was rebuilt at Alecs Automotive before I bought it, nice and shiny. Noticed it was losing oil at a fair clip in city driving, Japanoid redid the valve cover & oil pan seals and it no longer leaks a drop on the ground. Drove it from BC to Ontario back in December, five days on the road, and I put about 11L of oil in it, which seems fairly excessive. I'd reckon it burns about a liter every 300-400km, roughly. Noticed a tick somewhere in there last time I started it up, but I haven't been driving it at all in the past two months, just moving it around the yard here to keep things from seizing up over the winter. Either way, the rate of oil consumption is surely a sign that things are on their last legs?

Valve stems? New Engine? How much do you reckon I'm on the hook for? I'm on the fence about taking it to Right Drive here in Toronto to get the work done before I head back west in a few months, as I'm not sure I'll make it back across the country without the engine blowing entirely, but if it needs a full reconditioned unit I'll probably save a few grand buying on the west coast.

Return to “L400 Technical”