l400 stutter

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
kurtiswilk
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 97 L400 super exceed

l400 stutter

Post by kurtiswilk »

Hey Guys and gals

Trying to suss out a new problem. I'm leaning towards injectors but wanted to get some other insight.

1997 L400 Gen 2
4m40
Cylinder head was replaced by mechanic
turbo rebuilt by myself with a kit - Was professionally balanced
EGR Plate blanked off with 1/8"steel

The van has developed a since doing the egr and turbo when going from load to idle. An example would be going from 60km/h to a stop light. It stutters a few times and then levels out. It's also started blowing black when accelerating and going up hill. It doesn't seem like tons to me but definitely noticeable in the drive side mirror. The stutter does seem to be getting slightly worse.

The injector pump main seal was changed about 40,000 km ago the one in the pump was still good, but it was trouble shooting for white smoke on startup that is still a thing.

Any ideas where to check or if i'm on the right track.
Deli Duncan
97 L400 gen 2
poochike
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2

l400 stutter

Post by poochike »

kurtiswilk wrote:Hey Guys and gals

Trying to suss out a new problem. I'm leaning towards injectors but wanted to get some other insight.

1997 L400 Gen 2
4m40
Cylinder head was replaced by mechanic
turbo rebuilt by myself with a kit - Was professionally balanced
EGR Plate blanked off with 1/8"steel

The van has developed a since doing the egr and turbo when going from load to idle. An example would be going from 60km/h to a stop light. It stutters a few times and then levels out. It's also started blowing black when accelerating and going up hill. It doesn't seem like tons to me but definitely noticeable in the drive side mirror. The stutter does seem to be getting slightly worse.

The injector pump main seal was changed about 40,000 km ago the one in the pump was still good, but it was trouble shooting for white smoke on startup that is still a thing.

Any ideas where to check or if i'm on the right track.
White smoke on start up could be your glow plugs. I gave a 1999 series 2 and I kept blowing through glow plugs until I had my injectors rebuilt, now all is good. Not sure why the injectors were causing glow plug issues, but there you go. Check your throttle solenoid isn't shot. You can bypass the solenoid by supplying constant vacuum to your throttle valve. There's a thread on here somewhere about it I believe.

Even after a new turbo, rebuilt injectors, blanked egr, new head, front IP seal, replaced throttle solenoid, new MAP sensor, new air filter, etc I still blow some black smoke under load around 2500 rpm.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
kurtiswilk
Vehicle: 97 L400 super exceed

l400 stutter

Post by kurtiswilk »

Hey Poochike,

I'm still having some issues. Been distracted for awhile, But have solved an oil leak or two, But still have the throttle issues. I did some searching tonight and came up dry on the throttle solenoid. Just wanted to check a thing or to.

I'm assuming bypassing the throttle solenoid makes the car un-drivable well its bypassed.

To bypass it. Unplug the hoses from the solenoids and connect them together?

Thanks
Kurtis
Deli Duncan
97 L400 gen 2

Return to “L400 Technical”