Turbo Rebuild

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
kurtiswilk
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 97 L400 super exceed

Turbo Rebuild

Post by kurtiswilk »

Hey Guys,

Doing a rebuild on my turbo because it's passing oil pretty bad. All in all removal went fairly well took about 1.5 hours to do. Had a small incident when i slipped of a bolt and broke the little orange vacuum part off the top of the intake manifold. In the attached picture with the arrow pointing at it.

2 questions what is the part called (circled in red)? and 2nd is it a generic bit i can likely find at napa or similar??

The next thing i've discovered is that the top half of my engine is caked in oil. Including the inside and out side of the EGR vavle. Which is capped of but im going to replace with plates.

Could this be a side effect of the turbo passing oil? It seems to be coming from the 90 degree pipe where it meets the engine circled in green. Comes off the intercooler.

the names escape me at this moment.

Also its a 97 gen 2 l400 with the 4m40

20180409_234938.jpg
20180409_234938.jpg (452.11 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Deli Duncan
97 L400 gen 2
poochike
Vehicle: 1999 L400 Chamonix Gen2

Turbo Rebuild

Post by poochike »

kurtiswilk wrote:Hey Guys,

Doing a rebuild on my turbo because it's passing oil pretty bad. All in all removal went fairly well took about 1.5 hours to do. Had a small incident when i slipped of a bolt and broke the little orange vacuum part off the top of the intake manifold. In the attached picture with the arrow pointing at it.

2 questions what is the part called (circled in red)? and 2nd is it a generic bit i can likely find at napa or similar??

The next thing i've discovered is that the top half of my engine is caked in oil. Including the inside and out side of the EGR vavle. Which is capped of but im going to replace with plates.

Could this be a side effect of the turbo passing oil? It seems to be coming from the 90 degree pipe where it meets the engine circled in green. Comes off the intercooler.

the names escape me at this moment.

Also its a 97 gen 2 l400 with the 4m40

20180409_234938.jpg
The Orange thing you broke is called the map sensor filter aka boost sensor filter. It is not a generic part, but I'm sure Steven Rising Sun Auto will have one.

Part# MD176361

The oil around the egr and intake manifold is probably from the turbo oil, but could also be half moon seal/valve cover gasket. Once you fix your turbo seals you will probably still see oil residue on the inside of the intercooler inlet/outlet and intake. This is caused by blow by gasses from your crankcase and is normal. Some people will fit an oil catch can to "catch" the oil from the blow by, but unless it's excessive it's not necessary. On that note if it is excessive then something else is wrong and needs investigating.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
kurtiswilk
Vehicle: 97 L400 super exceed

Turbo Rebuild

Post by kurtiswilk »

Hey you are correct, and I did reach out to Steven and a few others. She an gas a few at his shop.

Now got the turbo disassembled the hardest part of that was the bloody huge snapring and the rusted together exhaust half.

Disassembly went well except that my rebuild kit has 2 extra little snaprings that weren't part of the turbo I disassembled. I will double check after the parts are clean but otherwise the kit seems to be on spec with what came out.
Deli Duncan
97 L400 gen 2

Return to “L400 Technical”