L400 Won't Shift From Park In Colder Weather

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
Mr. Fuji
Vehicle: TBD

Post by Mr. Fuji »

It's my first winter with the Delica and I'm super impressed how it has handled things so far, with the exception that on the coldest of days (about -20 below or colder, for you westcoasters :-D ) the shifter has sometimes had trouble shifting from park.

The 2-3 times that this has happened it goes away after about 5-10 minutes. That is 5-10 minutes of 2 parents & 2 kids jammed into their winter gear, sitting in a loaded up idling van, parked outside the house, going nowhere, with the dad frantically shifting and stomping the brake pedal. Quite the sight I'm sure.

On these occasions we've done our usual cold weather prep routine: plugged in the block heater for 1-2 hours and warmed the van up for 15-20 minutes before piling in. When I get in and step on the brake pedal the shift stalk won't get into gear. The feeling is exactly as if I am not depressing the brake pedal and the movement of the shifter is prevented, so it may be that the brake system hasn't warmed up yet?

That's my only guess. Does anyone else have an idea of what it could be? I'll have the shop do some lloking at my next service but want to minimize the investigation time.
Mr. Flibble
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1995 L400 Royal Exceed

Re: L400 Won't Shift From Park In Colder Weather

Post by Mr. Flibble »

Things to try while parking, put transmission in Neutral, engage parking brake, then put in park. It may be that the system is binding under load.

Other thing to look at, there is a solenoid on the left hand side of the steering column. It won't let you shift out of park unless your foot is on the brake pedal. Perhaps the cold it making it sticky.
Canadian living in Washington USA
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Re: L400 Won't Shift From Park In Colder Weather

Post by Big-Bird »

If the shifter arm won't come out of park then its a relay/solenoid issue with the Park/Brake pedal interlock. there is a small switch at the brake pedal arm and sometimes the connector can come loose. if it's the solenoid/relay in the steering column that's also easy to get at with basic tools.

if the arm moves but the Tranny won't go into gear then there are Tranny issues that can be checked with an MUT scanner....no OBD won't work.

I have access to the MUT scanner tool and if needed could help you there.
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

Mr. Fuji
Vehicle: TBD

Post by Mr. Fuji »

Can anyone recommend a good Delica shop in Calgary that would be able to fix this?

Another winter has started, and I need to get this fixed!
Reading a couple previous threads it seems like mine is an issue with the brake/transmission interlock. This seems like a relatively simple fix for a shop to take care of, and I don't mind paying a reasonable cost for quality work.
Big-Bird
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=20974
Vehicle: 96 PE8W Spacegear

Post by Big-Bird »

Mr. Fuji: are you still having this issue once the cabin is warm?

I would try a blow dryer (not a heat gun) pointed at the solenoid and see if this frees he unit.

If it does then the fix is simple and I would be willing to help you out with the repair.
I can also grab my friends MUT system and do a free code scan of your CPU

PM me or I may not see your reply for several weeks as I am not on here as often.

Wade
Yeah I joined the Dark Side because the medical plan is top shelf!

shaner
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300

Post by shaner »

I am having the exact same problem......
how do i fix this solenoid issue??? Can i buy a new one?
Cheers
Shane

Return to “L400 Technical”