Might buy a '94 Space Gear: steal of a deal or buyer beware?

Mitsubishi Delica L400 production commenced in 1994 -- After much anticipation, the L400 arrived on Canadian Soil in 2009!
naterade
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 93 L300 Starwagon Exceed

Might buy a '94 Space Gear: steal of a deal or buyer beware?

Post by naterade »

Hey folks,

New to the forum, but looking around, it seems like there are some very knowledgeable people here...

I am looking at purchasing a 94 Delica Space Gear

~90,000kms
3.0L V6 Gas w/Overhead Cam (the "good" engine I've been told)
Needs tires, and has a couple of minor electronics issues (passenger door lock, etc)

Has not been inspected, its been sitting for over a year (waiting patiently for me??)
Owner has driven it and says it is in great shape.
He imported several L400s a while ago, drives one himself, but hasn't had time to inspect and fix this one up.

Selling to me at his cost of around $6000, as is.

My question(s) to you guys:

Is there anything crucial that I should ask about or have checked on the vehicle before purchasing?
Does this sound like a great deal, or could I be in over my head with this van (with potential fix-up costs)?

Any other words of wisdom I should consider before jumping on this van? I have wanted a Delica since the first time I saw one several years ago, and it seems to me that the 'stars have aligned' for me to have this one, considering all the circumstances that led to me finding this van.

Thanks for your help, hope to join the Delica ranks soon!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Might buy a '94 Space Gear: steal of a deal or buyer beware?

Post by jessef »

That's actually overpriced.

I can't understand why anyone would buy the v6 gas model but if you prefer it over the diesel, it's personal choice.

From what I've seen, people are asking far too much for them.

Almost every gas L400 I've seen in Japan is sold for under 1,000 Canadian for the exception of the 4cyl models which in my opinion are better than the V6.

The v6 has a long history of issues with the valves and fuel electronics in the Montero's that have been sold in the US from 91 to 98.

As for the $6,000 price tag and nothing has been done to it.

My advice. Do not get into a Delica unless it has been serviced properly.

If you are set on the v6 for your own reasons,'then you still need this to go through inspection.

I made a list somewhere regarding what should be done before going Ito inspection.

Off the top of my head

$500-900 for headlights, reflectors and daytime running lights
$600-1,800 for brakes (depending on whether or not rotors need to be replaced)
$100-1,400 for suspension (balljoints, tierods, boots, cv's, shocks)
$250-300 for engine/transmission/diff fluid changes

There could be more or less depending on the condition of the van.

There's some real cheap L400's on the market. I checked out quite a few of them for people that have asked me to see what I think. All but one needed most of the work I mentioned above and made it actually cheaper in the long run to buy from one of the local reputable dealers.

If I was set of the gas model, I would buy the 4 cylinder model as it's more reliable than the V6 and gets better mpg. But it's underpowered.
naterade

Post by naterade »

Thanks for the info

I have found a 93 Turbo Diesel 'Exceed' for $8500 and located closer to where I live, with 136,000kms

Looks like it is 'good to go'

Would you recommend this one over the 94 Space Gear?
jessef

Post by jessef »

The L300 Delica and the L400 Spacegear are two completely different vehicles.

There are advantages on both. That will come down to personal preference.
naterade

Post by naterade »

jfarsang wrote:The L300 Delica and the L400 Spacegear are two completely different vehicles.
Understood. I was originally hoping to get the L300 as I like the body style a bit better, but the L400 is more rare, and is pretty unique IMO

I'm going to test drive the L300 tonight and see what I think, ask a lot of questions, and hope that I have a few days to decide

Thanks for your thoughts
naterade

Post by naterade »

Ok, L400 be damned! :-D
I don't think I want to mess with a vehicle to get it all certified, etc, and it is in Grande Prairie, and I am in Calgary... so I don't think it's for me.

I just test drove the L300 Exceed and it is a beaut! Great shape, clean, quiet, smooth, and a great looking van all-around. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!

Thanks for the insights here, and around the entire forum, I've been pouring over it all day.

Excited to be a part of this forum and the growing population of Delica owners!

Cheers :M
jessef

Post by jessef »

Good choice. Better to buy a vehicle that has some Canadian history. :M
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by Golf Cart »

Keep looking. There are better deals out there
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi N, congrats on joining our cult. Put your location on your profile NOW, as then the Calgary herd see it on your posts and can offer you tech and moral support in your decision making.

We often host Calgary Delica Folk at our house in Burnaby when Calg-Deli's trek their way west for annual servicing, CVI in Richmond or CC Autos on The Island are favourite Calg-Deli Destinations for service. Let us know if you want a mini-meet arranged in your honour.

Suggest you now PM Private Message to various Calg-Deli's, is a very active and knowledgeable herd of 'em in Calgary. They are always happy to give their Strong opinions, and you can even crawl around their vehicles and compare. Some names to PM are: Erebus, Green1, Jungle Jon, White Mule, GTexJunkie. PM them all, as some might be off camping etc.

Cheers, Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.

Return to “L400 Technical”