Imported with Steven, info on Japanoid, and on CVI

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
Roodman
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica Exceed P25

Imported with Steven, info on Japanoid, and on CVI

Post by Roodman »

I imported my L300 through Steven (Rising Sun Autos). He didn't have his shop setup yet and my experience has been a mixed one.

He got me an excellent van with low mileage from the auction and brought it over. Many things weren't done until his shop got setup. I stayed on top of it and finally got my van into his shop, from my perspective this took threats and such. From his perspective it may have simply been that he was too busy and I slipped through the cracks.

When he and Nick did the extensive amount of work that they did it was done very well. I am happy with the quality of repair that they did and they performed more work than what was initially agreed upon when the van was imported. Butch at CVI has double checked that the work was done and all was well.

My only beef is that the lights were never changed. He wired the existing lights to be daytime running lights and the wire that was hacked in has already come off. So the lights are not DOT approved and somehow a safety was put on the van. I will likely pursue this with him when I have the gumption to do so. So my advice is that he can do a good job but I would stay on top of the situation and be sure that corners are not cut.

When I became soured on Steven's service I started using Japanoid. I've found that they are quite poor at diagnosing issues. I brought in my van with some sort of massive leak. Initially they said it was the turbo. The next visit they said it was the IP. Both were a problem but the majority of it was the IP. The turbo has a drip on it but it'll be okay for now. My second comment on Japanoid is that they are expensive. Very expensive. They seem to be of the mentality of taking a part out and sending it out rather than fixing only what needs fixing. In the end, the job will be done well, but others can do as good of a job for less.

Enter CVI. For the cost of having the IP done by Japanoid, I had the IP seals replaced, they checked the internals and gave them the all clear, setup the IP timing, cleaned my injectors (the Deli tune) and the total cost was about $300 less than just the IP would have at Japanoid. I've been back to CVI and the experience there is awesome. After leaving there I love my Deli more and more every time. They will take the time to go through your van with you and want to keep it running well by educating you. On top of that their prices are very reasonable and they are setup to do everything in house.

So to summarize, I like CVI the best. However I would use all three and be pretty confident that the job will get done. I'm sure that the import experience with Steven could go very well for many, he knows his stuff, but I'm not a fan of the short cuts. I imagine that my experience with him was not typical.
Artacoma
Vehicle: 97 V6 LWB

Re: Imported with Steven, info on Japanoid, and on CVI

Post by Artacoma »

Are you're headlights 'E' code (usually E13 I think)
If not whoever did the inspection is'nt up to snuff and neither is you're dealer and one or both of them should be refunding you some dough.
If they are E code lights you are ok.
There has been a bit of discussion on the requirement of DRL but I am a fan and I appreciate others on the road that have them aswell.
Hope to see on the road.
Thanks for posting
Cheers
Rik
97 Series 2 V6 LWB
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

Glad you found your way to CVI. They aren't only very knowledgeable they are also very friendly and trust worthy. As good as it gets in the Vancouver area!

Cheers!
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
RichD

Post by RichD »

Agreed on CVI. Honest to a fault, fair prices.
Richard Dagenais
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Did you get your headlights sorted out ?

That is a very big deal if you are driving with the original japanese headlights. If you get pulled over, you're at fault.

If they did the inspection without LHD headlights, I would go after them. Inspection facilities have been shut down in the past year due to this issue.

If your lights are e-code for left hand drive, then you are good and can disregard my post.
Roodman

Post by Roodman »

I sent Steven a message letting him know that Japanoid and CVI have both pointed out the headlight issue. He immediately offered to sort it out. Which is great.....but......WTF wasn't it done in the first place!?!?

Buyer beware.....
jessef

Post by jessef »

Demand the inspection certificate that was done here in Canada. He has it unless he gave it to you.

This will show you who the inspection company is and if they noted the LHD headlights on the inspection report.

Very important to have this information in your shoes now.
Roodman

Post by Roodman »

The headlights have been changed now. Depot E-coded. Apparently these lights have moisture issues sometimes, I'll have to see if I can seal it up a bit better, but for now at least it's legit.
jessef

Post by jessef »

There are two types of E-code lenses for the L400.

Genuine LHD headlight (complete assembly / one piece)

or

Purchase the glass E-code alone and modify the RHD casing (remove old lens/replace with new lens)

The genuine Mitsubishi LHD assemblies are not prone to moisture at all. In fact, they are sealed nicely.

Doing the glass/casing modification can be just as good as the genuine Mitsu one's provided the installation is done properly. If it's not done properly, then there is a chance of moistures getting in (not sealed 100%)

Same goes with any headlight assembly similar to these (L300/BMW's/etc...)

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”