CVI in Richmond: A cautionary tale.

Forum rules
Please refer to Site Rule 1.1.1 prior to posting in this forum.
BenLumley
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1993 Delica L300

CVI in Richmond: A cautionary tale.

Post by BenLumley »

I found CVI and the 'Delica tune' on the web. I read only good reviews of the 'Delica tune' and booked an appointment shortly after importing my 1993 Delica this summer.

My van was running well to begin with but I wanted to make sure it was in as good condition as possible before I undertook a big trip. I also read the folks at CVI were very friendly and helpful at acquainting one with the Delica.

They were friendly on the phone and showed me some basics of the Delica engine.

In retrospect I don't think I really needed the 'Delitune' because it was already running well. Judging by others experience it seems it is worth the $325 if your Delica is suggish or running rough.

For me $350 turned into $850 after 3 1/2 hours of work. The only parts included in the price were an air filter and bushing totalling $45 plus some fluids.

This works out to over $200 an hour.

(I went back a week or two later and asked him if this seemed fair to him and he said it did.)

And that's not all.

The van was squeeling and I asked them to check the belts. They did and tightened them. When I did my first big trip in the Delica (from Vancouver to the Okanagon) the squeeling continued and I barely made it as the lights dimmed and the battery died.

After getting it checked in Oliver, BC it was discovered the alternator belts were extremely worn and cracked and slipping so much they did not charge the alternator.

My question is how could a mechanic (who specializes in Delica's!) fail to notice that and inform me?

I make no pretences to knowing what is necessary work to be done on my new Delica and what is optional and what is critical.

That is why I take to someone who is a professional to help me make those decisions.

I felt that the folks at CVI were totally unhelpful in that regard and was left with the impression that they valued making money more than giving me good value for my hard earned money.
wetcoast

Re: CVI in Richmond: A cautionary tale.

Post by wetcoast »

Is this what's keeping you up late at night??
CVI
Member's Photo Album: http://cviauto.com
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Space Gear Royal Exceed

Post by CVI »

Good Morning Ben,

What it takes one mechanic to do in 6 hrs will only take 3 hours for two mechanics to do as a team.

I do remember telling you that your drive belts will need to be replaced then when you went back to the shop. You said you will come back to have them replaced the week after but you never did. I'm sorry to hear that your battery died on you.

At any rate, if you are not completely happy or satisfied with your Delica tune, in all honesty, come back to the shop and we will refund your $325. If you recall, after inspection, we recommended some other services needed on your delica and informed you the expenses it would entail. It was only after your approval that we proceeded with the work. CVI has a policy of doing service only for jobs approved by the customer.

I hope you get to sleep well after. :-)

Best regards,
Butch
delicat
Vehicle: '92 Exeed '93 Safari '94 Pajero

Post by delicat »

Hi Ben,

Well, can't go wrong with CVI's offer to refund you but if I were you I'd feel I'd be taking the food out of their mouths... Delica tune is not about parts but cleaning and re-adjusting your injectors which isn't cheap. They also do other adjustments (valves?) that has nothing to do with parts. If you're after spending money on parts vs labour then just buy some new tires!

As for the rest (belts...) if you were advised to change them and didn't go back then why complain here? Anyway, It's always better to open your can of warms in private and deal directly with CVI but since you opened it here I guess we're also alloyed our opinion.

I've been taking my van to CVI from the day I bought it and my initial bill was over $2000. And you know what, it was the best money spent. And, it wasn't so much in parts but mostly labour. But my van has been running flawlessly since then (almost 2yrs ago). I haven't met many places so helpful.
'93 Nissan Patrol
'94 Mitsubishi Pajero

"If it ain't broken, modify it!"
Spearo
Vehicle: 92 Smellica Exceed

Post by Spearo »

I think the last business I'd ever start would be a vehicle repair shop. The main problem being that the customers that need you the most, understand the least, and complain the loudest, no matter their level of understanding.

If you as an owner are incapable of being able to see for yourself that a 15$ belt is in need of replacement then best to take the word of the guy who you are paying to tell you. If you chose to cheap out then it's hardly their fault. Usually it's minor, cheap things that break you down on the road and that stuff must be monitored and serviced at all costs.

Did you at least talk to these guys before you posted this? From what I've read (until now), they're a good shop and very accomodating.

*edit* I read my post and it looks a little rude. I don't mean to be, and I don't like arguing about anything really, but you've called into question the ethics of a man's business- and with the limited info available, it seems like a knee-jerk reaction to post on this forum without a really valid concern.
Last edited by Spearo on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different" - Kurt Vonnegut
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

sounds like you need to sit down with the guys at CVI and a calculator (and maybe bring an elementary school math teacher) to help explain that 2 people working for 3 hours = 6 hours of labour costs. Also, as others have stated, if you don't know anything about this stuff and you refuse work or say you will come back to get it done and don't you are the one to blame not them.

oh and I have never used CVI and I'm not a CVI fan boy, I live on the island and go to Coombs for service, but I have heard lots of great things about their service and know that they really know how to do their jobs.
fexlboi
Member's Photo Album: http://dinoevo.de
Vehicle: -

Post by fexlboi »

BenLumley wrote:.. the folks at CVI were totally unhelpful ... they valued making money more than giving me good value ...
That is the most false statement I have ever read on this forum. Go and deal with Butch directly before you post stuff like that.
Last edited by fexlboi on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

The postercomplained about services rendered.

Mechanics are human and humans can make mistakes from time to time. This may or may not be one of those instances. Or it can just be miscommunication which happens.

Regardless, that is up to the shop and the customer to sort out.

The shop offerred to talk and remedy the customer's situation which is rare in today's mech. service industry.

The majority of people who have had experience with that shop have positive experiences over the past few years.

Volumes and good standing history speak loudly in the service industry.

I recommend you take the shops offer. You don't see that these days. It's a good gesture on the shop's part.
Last edited by jessef on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi Ben, sorry you're having a tough time with your new Delica.

I see this is your first and only posting on this website.

As these Delica's are older vehicles, often with minimum paperwork history, it is hard to know exactly what needs fixing on a newly purchased delica.

Alternators are difficult to troubleshoot, on any vehicle, as one cannot "see" a failing alternator part like one can see a worn tire.

Be assured that CVI is a great place, and Butch and Edwin are very genuine, very hard workers, and many delica owners go there and are repeat customers due to their knowledge and service. I see from this posting that Butch (Mitsubc) has offered to help you resolve this, and I recommend you take his offer.

If you want to meet up with me as a neutral sounding board, I am happy to do so, you may send me a PM Private Message. I am not associated with any of the repair shops or dealers, I merely organize meet ups etc for the delica forum members to learn more about our babies. It is nice to keep delica's and their owners happy.

Please keep in touch on this forum, as many of us have learnt to troubleshoot the delica's as these are rare beasties, and we are all happy to share our knowledge.

Regards, Christine.
Christine
Of The TardisDeli My TardisDeli travels thru time and space. Our house is nicknamed the TardisDeli Motel, as so many delii owners visit to share delii stories.
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

jfarsang wrote:The postercomplained about services rendered.
the poster also implies that he was over charged for the time spent, not taking into account that there were 2 mechanics working on the van at the same time.
pajerry
Vehicle: 94' SWB Pajero, 94' LWB Pajero 3.5L

Post by pajerry »

IMHO if he even talked to you to confirm the price, you should be grateful that you have a good technician working on your truck. I myself hate it when they go ahead with work when you specifically ask them to call you first with details, and they dont. Then you show up to pick it up with a huge bill waiting. (EDIT: See, I too could go throwing names of the last shop that didnt contact me first, ranting all day until Im blue in the face.. but that doesn't solve anything.) Plus he says that's not the case, and that you notified and agreed, so shame on you really.. sorry about your battery though. Shoulda bought a honda!

Hows the truck running now with the new belt? I bet its great!

I sometimes like how the dealers and service reps are on this board, but other times it allows people to take things too far and get way too political.. Oh well.
'94 SWB Pajero 2.8L ITD, '94 LWB Pajero 3.5L DOHC 8-)

Return to “Dealer Feedback, Beefs, and Bouquets”