Delicas pulling to the right?

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Miloki
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 Super Exceed

Delicas pulling to the right?

Post by Miloki »

Okay, I test drove my first Delica. Now I really have to get one!

I have a question for y'all, though. The one I drove felt like it was pulling to the right. I had looked the body over fairly carefully and didn't *notice* any misalignment that would indicate an accident repair. The owner said that he had a wheel alignment done on it when he put new tires on and the mechanic said it was all to spec. (the tires were too new for me to tell if there was any uneven wear). The owner said that it might just be a function of the way the van is built and how it handles the road.

I can't see how that would be (and that's all I'm saying on that point), but want to throw this out to you guys to make sure. Do any of you find the same thing? The vast majority of driving I'll be doing is highway, sometimes 12-18 hour trips, and I don't care to drive a vehicle for stretches that long if it's going to be pulling to one side all the time.

(btw - I plan on buying a van that I *know* has not been in an accident specifically so that I don't face a problem like this, but if there is still a chance I'll still have to deal with this, I want to know now.)

Thanks,
Valerie

EDIT: it has been brought to my attention that this post might come across as negative about the owner of the vehicle I looked at. I want to make it clear that was not the intention, and I certainly have no negative thoughts about the owner at all. My suspicion was that the vehicle had been in an accident (no auction sheet that would let us know).
I just assumed that all the rubber bits would be changed as seems to be the norm for vehicles being imported. It may well be the case that once this is done, the vehicle won't pull any more.
It was definitely a nice van - as I said, seeing it convinced me that I had to have one!
Last edited by Miloki on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
39Ronin
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz Gelandewagen 300GD

Re: Delicas pulling to the right?

Post by 39Ronin »

The pull you describe is usually associated with not having the alignment done. Ask to see the reciept for the alignment and maybe you will find the true problem. If they can produce the reciept for the alignment, check tire pressure as it can cause the pulling.
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi Valerie,

The alignment must be done to suit the camber of the road (different here than Japan). So if they havent done that, what else havent they done? Bad people. Just doing the lights and stuff to bring to minimum code is not enuf, you'll get thousands of dollars in problems later. We didnt get our alignment & shocks fixed right away, and had to replace 2 front tires as the edges got chewed up by the road.

Before buying, as a way of checking condition, Also check that the vehicle sits level. Older ones will often sit a bit nose down, check the exact height from the ground to the top of the wheel opening on all 4 wheels. If it isn't level, is POSSIBLY the torsion bars need adjusting (swearing and time consuming job). Shocks & ALL the rubber mountings have not been replaced ( mechanics bills and parts). A good dealer will do "All the Rubber" cuz it NEEDS to be done, this is 15 year old rubber we're talking about, rubber on gasket seals also, and on timing belts. and seals on the fuel pump are always bad (see the # of posts about hard starting) and so on..

If you're buying from a proper dealer make sure you get a warranty for 3 months, so as the bits are discovered you can take it back.

If not, then make sure your price reflects ALL the work you'll have to do, and the courier fees to gt parts shipped from Vancovuer. One of the local dealers was recently advertising $6500 for fresh off the boat - U fix it yourself. Versus $10,500. for private ones that have had everything done to the baby. Versus $12,000 & higher for full dealer fixed and warranty.

If you want to come to Burnaby and visit us, I'll get a few local delis over here for cookies, and you can drive ours. Maybe check the local shops for comparison.

Cheers, Christine.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

If it's not the alignment, check the brakes.

Seized caliper, air in lines, etc.. can have that same effect of pulling to one side or another.

Jesse
marsgal42
Vehicle: The Mighty Gumdrop

Post by marsgal42 »

Fresh off the boat Delicas often pull to the right. Driving on the left, on heavily cambered Japanese roads, they go straight.

Talk to your importer.

...laura
Profister
Vehicle: 1999 PE8W Chamonix, EFI

Post by Profister »

Pulling to the right because of the seized caliper, this was my experience.
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

To prove that ours does not pull at all ... I know, cuz everytime I see another Deli I get so happy that I take both hands (yes, sad but true) off the wheel to wave enthusiastically until they are merely a vanishing spec in my rear view mirror. Absolutely no pull at all, still merrily driving along over the speed limit, in my lane. We got new tires, shocks, and the proper alignment done, the Full Spa Treatment. Cheers, christine.

Return to “L300 Technical”