L300 power to only 1wheel on each axle

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
DGSabo
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 L300 - Belinda

Post by DGSabo »

My L300 is having some issues. My overdrive is no longer working and it seems while under stress I only have power to one wheel on each axle. When the power to the wheels problem first arouse I had it taken to Rising Sun Automotive in New Westminster. He couldn't replicate the wheel problem and said all 4 wheels had power to them but had fond the OD not working. He replaced the solenoid hoping to fix the OD to no avail. I have since again had the issue of only my back right tire spinning when trying to move off gravel (I was able to tell as there was only one place where a tire had spun in the dirt).

Has anyone run into this problem either themselves or through someone else? I am told my next step is to replace the tranny but I am skeptical to do this for the OD alone and without the mechanic being able to replicate my wheel power problem (that I have no been able to confirm from the original time when I decided to first take it in after getting stuck on a snowbank in 4WD and only my front left and back right wheels turning, and again with the back right wheel in the gravel).

I am also currently driving around with no OD. Only to and from work (~15mins one way). I think this is fine assuming i'm not doing any long trips?
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

Your 1 wheel situation is normal. If you have limited slip diff both rear wheels will turn. If you add an Aussie Lokka to the front diff both wheels will turn.
To see if you have limited slip jack up both rear wheels. Put it in gear if both wheels turn the same direction you have limited slip. If they don't you have a normal diff.
sk66
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 Delica L300

Post by sk66 »

The lack of overdrive could be transmission oil pressure... a transmission shop should be able to check it and adjust it if necessary. It might also need the oil/filter checked/changed.
The front does not have a limited slip differential, it will spin one wheel. Not all of the rear axles have LSD's either; if your's is there should be an orange sticker in the driver's door opening.
Steven
1991 L300
Harrisburg, PA

Return to “L300 Technical”