L300 Brake Swap Question

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Lanky
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400 Shamonee

L300 Brake Swap Question

Post by Lanky »

Hello lovely community.

I have finally collected my parts to swap the fronts to l400. However after all of my research I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my last question. I was wondering if anyone has fitted the l400 calipers with the stock 15 inch l300 rims. Every build or thread I have seen this swap on has had aftermarket jams and the topic doesn't seem to have been covered except for a statement saying "they may be difficult to fit". I'd typically be happy to just send it but I figured someone has insight on this before I go for it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
If they don't work, is it an offset issue or diameter issue?
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

L300 Brake Swap Question

Post by Growlerbearnz »

I have 15"x6.5 20p rims and the L400 calipers fit with plenty of clearance: 10mm in the diameter direction, 40mm in offset. Stock rims are 15"x6 32p, so that 40mm would reduce to 22mm clearance, which is still plenty. The L400 caliper is designed to fit under a 15" wheel (it's the same base casting as fitted to Montero/Pajero, Evo 2-4, FTO, GTO, Galant, Lancer, most of which were available with 15" wheels) so I would expect any fitment issues to be offset related.

You could always temporarily unbolt one caliper from the hub, tie it up away from the wheel, remove the dust shield and fit one of the L400 calipers and see if your wheel fits.

The trickiest part is routing/orienting the brake hoses so they don't kink or pull with the wheel at full lock. I had to modify the bracket and steel brake line at the caliper to get the short lower flex hose pointing in the right direction.
IMG_20121212_104544b.jpg
IMG_20121212_104544b.jpg (459.27 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
When I eventually replaced the brake hoses with stainless braided, I used a single-piece hose 400mm long (about 15"), routed it loosely through the middle bracket (with a piece of rubber tube to prevent rubbing) so it can move a little as the suspension and steering move.
IMG_20180926_104125.jpg
IMG_20180926_104125.jpg (485.21 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
You've probably come across mention of the L400 calipers being prone to binding up. Be sure to clean the sliding pins and channels well, remove all the old grease and muck, and re-lubricate with silicone grease. Make sure the dust boots are in place. I'd also pull the pistons out, clean them and the piston bores, and reassemble (if you use brake fluid and care when reassembling you should be able to do it without damaging the seals).
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
Lanky
Vehicle: L400 Shamonee

L300 Brake Swap Question

Post by Lanky »

Cheers thanks so much

Return to “L300 Technical”