Brake Drum Adjuster

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
Crankshaft Culture
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 Delica

Brake Drum Adjuster

Post by Crankshaft Culture »

Decided to check out the rear drums before heading for Overland Expo in a couple of days (going from Oregon to Arizona). Parking brake has been loose since January. Looks like a broken adjuster; like part of it has been sheared off and it's just sort of dangling in there. Probably explains why my brake pedal feel has been off too and pumping brakes seemed to help. Is the part for the adjuster the same as gen 1 Montero/Pajero? I think it is. I need to source one ASAP!

Issue 2: theres a thin gague metal collar that's come loose between the axle flange hub and axle seal. Not attached to anything and just dangling on there captive. Looks like I'll need to quickly track down an adjuster. The loose collar may have been a dust shield?
Broken Brake Drum Adjuster
Broken Brake Drum Adjuster
32116880_10156385220159851_8020161133841219584_o.jpg (277.85 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
north54
Vehicle: 1989 P35W

Brake Drum Adjuster

Post by north54 »

Ouch! Definitely broken but the adjusters are available. Bit pricy but they are easy to find on Partsouq or Amayama. While you have the drums off you might wanna dismantle, brake clean and regrease the spots where the brake pads touch the backing plate.

The whole dismantle can be done with needle nose pliers.
TRUSTY RUSTY
Crankshaft Culture
Vehicle: 1989 Delica

Brake Drum Adjuster

Post by Crankshaft Culture »

north54 wrote:Ouch! Definitely broken but the adjusters are available. Bit pricy but they are easy to find on Partsouq or Amayama. While you have the drums off you might wanna dismantle, brake clean and regrease the spots where the brake pads touch the backing plate.

The whole dismantle can be done with needle nose pliers.
Yeah, I see I can order them online. Unfortunately, I am to leave in the next couple of days for Arizona and need the van ready!

I am told by another Delica owner that the first-generation Montero/Dodge Raider adjuster will work. He said he used that kit and it was fine. I've called pretty much every autoparts store in the city for that, and I finally found one that can get me the Montero adjuster ($16 USD) tomorrow, so wish me luck.

FWIW, I called my local Mitsubishi dealer (who is quite helpful), and gave them the Delica adjuster part number (MB500831). Of course, they can get it ($85 USD) but he told me the '89 Montero number is MR527193—obviously different than the Delica's. But again, for $16 at O'Reily, I'll give it a shot.

Return to “L300 Technical”