EGR Delete

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
feetforbrains
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300 Chamonix

EGR Delete

Post by feetforbrains »

It's especially rainy today, but the materials I bought to complete an EGR delete showed up late yesterday afternoon, so I'm going to look for a break in the downpour and hope for the best. Maybe tidy up the garage in the meantime.

Yeah, I do plan on removing the EGR on my 4D56t. I have a couple of reasons to do this. First, longevity. As we're all keenly aware a 26-year-old JDM vehicle can make it difficult to find parts. While the EGR is great for combusting otherwise inert NOx emissions it's otherwise a long-term murder tube for your engine. I've already got about 135k on the odometer and there's plenty of gunk on the intake, the sooner this happens the better.

Second, http://dinoevo.de/egr-removed/ Felix at Dino EVO did this on his second transcontinental build to great effect. Once I've got the plates in I'm hoping to clear out carbon to replicate this aspect of his project.
feetforbrains

EGR Delete

Post by feetforbrains »

Okay, the EGR delete is done. It's a time-consuming thing, but not too difficult to make happen.

1) Remove driver's side seat.
2) Remove turbo bay cover
3) Remove air intake channel (including steel middle with 2x 12mm bolts)
4) Unplug all vacuum tubes
5) Detach two 12mm bolts from top of EGR which hold the EGR valve assembly to the turbo
6) Remove both 12mm nuts and washers which hold the lower end EGR to the exhaust manifold
7) Remove EGR assembly from engine bay
8) Use EGR assembly (the seals work really well for this) to template delete plates
9) Fabricate delete plates top and bottom
10) Install delete plates top and bottom
- I repurposed the 12mm bolts that hold the EGR valve to the EGR intake to mount the upper EGR delete plate to the turbo
- The lower nuts and washers will fit over the existing studs on the manifold
11) Reverse steps 4 to 1 and test the engine
Ralph in Winnipeg
Vehicle: 94 Strada

EGR Delete

Post by Ralph in Winnipeg »

A Saturday well spent! The EGR delete was on my to do list when the Strada arrived for all the reasons you noted. My only regret was buying a cheap EGT gauge from amazon. .... How about some pictures?
Ralph in Winnipeg
feetforbrains

EGR Delete

Post by feetforbrains »

Ralph in Winnipeg wrote:A Saturday well spent! The EGR delete was on my to do list when the Strada arrived for all the reasons you noted. My only regret was buying a cheap EGT gauge from amazon. .... How about some pictures?
Ralph in Winnipeg
Thanks Ralph,

I'm having no end of trouble posting pics on Delica.ca today. Keep getting a message that the BBS can't determine the size of the image. Ugh!

"It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."

That said, I have a build page on Exped Portal. Images over here.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

EGR Delete

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

feetforbrains wrote:Okay, the EGR delete is done. It's a time-consuming thing, but not too difficult to make happen. ...
I originally put a mild steel EGR blocking plate in.

What eventually happened was: The bolts failed due to galvanic reaction to the mild steel plate. This occurred climbing out of Kamloops, heading toward Merritt. I limped home to North Van; replaced the elbow pipe that the EGR bolted to with a loaner; took the original elbow pipe to a fab shop and had them seal weld a quarter inch aluminium plate over the EGR mount; they made me a lozenge shaped steel plate to fit over the exhaust manifold end of the valve and I hand-crafted a brass shim to serve as the gasket on the exhaust manifold side, when I installed the plate. My engine's performance improved overall by about twenty-five percent and there has been no issue with it since. Also, there is now more space to work in that part of the engine compartment. Bonus.

Regarding the galvanic reaction, the bolts just "pulled out", nothing holding them in one place. They appeared to have springs threaded around them, which proved to be the actual threads from the female side of the connexion.

feetforbrains wrote:"It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."
I've been speaking to Mark about that, it needs to be addressed. Were working on it.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
feetforbrains

EGR Delete

Post by feetforbrains »

FalcoColumbarius wrote:What eventually happened was: The bolts failed due to galvanic reaction to the mild steel plate. This occurred climbing out of Kamloops, heading toward Merritt. I limped home to North Van; replaced the elbow pipe that the EGR bolted to with a loaner; took the original elbow pipe to a fab shop and had them seal weld a quarter inch aluminium plate over the EGR mount; they made me a lozenge shaped steel plate to fit over the exhaust manifold end of the valve and I hand-crafted a brass shim to serve as the gasket on the exhaust manifold side, when I installed the plate.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm thinking about adding a pair of lock nuts to the assembly on the turbo side to prevent this. I'd like to keep the plate in a semi-removable state so that I can take it out and work on it. Specifically, I plan on tapping-in a pyro probe on the plate (also the reason I went with 1/4" stainless) and keeping the plate separate from the elbow means it will be a lot easier to work on. True welding it on would be more secure.
FalcoColumbarius wrote:My engine's performance improved overall by about twenty-five percent and there has been no issue with it since. Also, there is now more space to work in that part of the engine compartment. Bonus.
I took it for a test drive right after I was done and it feels much stronger on hills. I'm getting ready for the day right now and my son and I will take it up-town for some errands in a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “L300 Technical”