More oily turbo mess

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
User avatar
north54
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 P35W
Location: Vancouver

More oily turbo mess

Postby north54 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Lots of oil under the engine so of course I have to investigate. Ugh I put in some new heavy duty bolt clamps to rectify oil leaking and look at this mess.
photo 1 (8).JPG
photo 1 (8).JPG (418.47 KiB) Viewed 222 times


The clamps ended up loosening up a bit and oil is getting through the rubber hose. Either these clamps are a bad idea or it was just the fact that they loosened up a bit ( I could lock tite the bolt maybe....) This blow by is getting out of control I don't even want to know my compression readings!

I've installed some regular old gear clamps (like the kind that were originally on the turbo :-( ) Hopefully that eliminates some oil leaking through.

photo 2 (8).JPG
photo 2 (8).JPG (420.09 KiB) Viewed 222 times


I guess I'll have to install that Provent catch can again!
TRUSTY RUSTY

User avatar
ACKO15
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300
Location: Cape Breton

More oily turbo mess

Postby ACKO15 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 am

No expert on this matter by any means, and feel free to correct me, but is there any possibility that it may be leakage within the turbo? I haven't had mine apart (yet) and I don't know what kind of labyrinth seal and bearing arrangement is fitted, but I've seen a scaled-up version (V-16 diesel generator) chucking oil through a turbo like this, completely coating the air manifold with a heavy, greasy, 1/4" buildup.

Just to ease your mind from the compression readings/ blowby.

Does it burn/consume much oil? My fear would be that this excessive oil pouring out of the turbo outlet is an indication of a failed turbo oil seal coating and choking the air inlet side of your engine.

Good luck,
AC

User avatar
ACKO15
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1991 Delica L300
Location: Cape Breton

More oily turbo mess

Postby ACKO15 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 am

That being said, leakage could possibly occur as a result of higher back-pressure on the oil return line (blow by or blockage), by shaft wear/damage in way of the seals, or a combination of both. Anyhow, just speculation, but a turbo is easier than a full engine overhaul :)

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

More oily turbo mess

Postby Growlerbearnz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Those T-bar clamps are pretty awesome, they shouldn't come loose. All clamps rely on the springiness of the hose for sealing force, and I suspect your rubber hose has lost some of its spring.

I replaced my hose with some generic silicone hose (in boy-racer blue), and it stopped all the oil leaks pretty much instantly.

Do those T-bar clamps have nyloc nuts on the back? if so, you might want to turn them around so the nylocs are facing forwards, away from the hot bits of the turbo.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

User avatar
north54
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 P35W
Location: Vancouver

More oily turbo mess

Postby north54 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 pm

ACKO15 wrote:No expert on this matter by any means, and feel free to correct me, but is there any possibility that it may be leakage within the turbo? I haven't had mine apart (yet) and I don't know what kind of labyrinth seal and bearing arrangement is fitted, but I've seen a scaled-up version (V-16 diesel generator) chucking oil through a turbo like this, completely coating the air manifold with a heavy, greasy, 1/4" buildup.

Just to ease your mind from the compression readings/ blowby.

Does it burn/consume much oil? My fear would be that this excessive oil pouring out of the turbo outlet is an indication of a failed turbo oil seal coating and choking the air inlet side of your engine.

Good luck,
AC


Thanks AC, it actually burns no oil at all! I rebuilt the turbo this year and its a pretty straightforward rebuild. Its a pig to take the turbo out though....

Growlerbearnz wrote:Those T-bar clamps are pretty awesome, they shouldn't come loose. All clamps rely on the springiness of the hose for sealing force, and I suspect your rubber hose has lost some of its spring.

I replaced my hose with some generic silicone hose (in boy-racer blue), and it stopped all the oil leaks pretty much instantly.

Do those T-bar clamps have nyloc nuts on the back? if so, you might want to turn them around so the nylocs are facing forwards, away from the hot bits of the turbo.


Thanks Growler, i've been mulling about replacing that black hose with a silicone one. Guess its finally time to!

As far as the T clamps goes they do not have nyloc nuts on the back which I think attributed to these clamps slowly coming loose. I've had to tighten them several times this year. But with the design of this T clamp I can screw a nylock nut on the reverse side. Then I'll try to install the Provent left of the fuel filter. I think there might be hope of it fitting in that spot!

photo (16).JPG
photo (16).JPG (489.29 KiB) Viewed 188 times
TRUSTY RUSTY

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

More oily turbo mess

Postby Growlerbearnz » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm

north54 wrote:Then I'll try to install the Provent left of the fuel filter. I think there might be hope of it fitting in that spot!


I thought the same thing but couldn't make it work :-( the Pro-vent 200 is larger than you expect. Have you looked at the pro-vent 150 or 100?They're smaller, but still well within the power output of our engines.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

User avatar
north54
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 P35W
Location: Vancouver

More oily turbo mess

Postby north54 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Growlerbearnz wrote:
I replaced my hose with some generic silicone hose (in boy-racer blue), .


Was that hose 2" Inner Diameter by 3" long by chance? I think this measurement is correct just would rather not remove my EGR again to measure....
TRUSTY RUSTY

User avatar
Growlerbearnz
Posts: 1486
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W
Location: New Zealand

More oily turbo mess

Postby Growlerbearnz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.


Return to “L300 Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests