Standard/5Speed Transmission to Automatic Transmission? Delica L300

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
drarnold
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 Delica Starwagon

Post by drarnold »

Hey all,

New to the forum and thinking of changing over from a standard/5speed to an automatic transmission (with some sadness, as I love my standard/5speed). Parts have been impossible to locate to fix my standard/5speed transmission and I found an automatic that fits my vehicle's engine, van year, 4x4 and diesel for sale. Any thoughts anyone? Could use some advice or people's input on this decision. Thanks so much ahead of time.
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

I actually prefer the automatic on a diesel van. A torque converter makes the best use of a diesel's low-end torque while helping mask the slow-revving nature of the engine.

Anyway- converting to automatic shouldn't be too hard if you can get all the bits. Off the top of my head, as well as the gearbox you'll need the shifter mechanism and cables, transmission crossmember and mounts, dipstick tube, engine flexplate (replaces the flywheel), and a transmission cooler (a generic aftermarket one will do), and the kickdown/throttle position cable linkage for the injection pump.

You may need the driveshafts from the automatic, but I'm not sure. I'm happy to measure a bunch of things on my automatic van if you want to compare.

Before you start, check that your fuel tank won't get in the way. Automatic diesels have the double fuel tank setup, presumably to make room for the transmission. I'm not sure if manual diesels have the same setup.

Wiring: You'll need to add wires for the overdrive solenoid. Factory autos have the PRNDL lights on the dashboard, I doubt your van has the wiring for those but they're not critical. There's the overheat warning light switch, again not critical but possibly desirable.

This is all off the top of my head. I've not attempted a conversion. Your mileage may vary. See a doctor if symptoms persist. Etc.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

Return to “L300 Technical”