What Fuel Additive Do You Use?

Does your Mitsubishi L300 make a strange noise? Need wheel alignment specs?
mcbeaven
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 91 delica L300

Re: What Fuel Additive Do You Use?

Post by mcbeaven »

Im simply quoting the study i read, what ever the numbers, we can all agree adding life to your fuel pump and engine is a good thing at the end of the day.
legionnair
Vehicle: delica L300

Post by legionnair »

Well after chatting with guys at work and reading a ton of threads I will be switching to 2 stroke oil, the proper mix ratio is about 500-600 ml per fill up for 200:1.
I do not expect any increase in fuel econmoy, I am strickly looking for longevity and injection system maintenance.

Have a great weekend

Dustin
Measure it twice, cut once. Dam still cut wrong
bassnailer
Vehicle: '92 L300 Super Duper Exceed

Post by bassnailer »

:oops: I have never added anything to my fuel.
thedjjack
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!

Post by thedjjack »

I would think using high quality 2-stroke oil would be an idea.

I had a few friends ride and race 2-stroke street bikes and running lawnmower 2-stroke oil resulted in seized motors (few times that they forgot to pack good oil and bought gas station oil).

I know in my chainsaw I only run good quality oil and it runs all day being abused without complaints.

Just a thought....
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

The XPD sounds interesting.

I use Howes. Howes has at least two products: Diesel Treat; Meaner Power Kleaner. In both cases the engine performs well. With the Power Kleaner I noticed that my mileage decreased. All round I think the Diesel Treat is pretty good stuff. Typically in the city I get 11.7 litres per 100 kilometres, on the open highway I get 8.7 litres per 100 kilometres. I run Yoko's (Geolandar A/T-S LT235/75R15s @ 42 PSI).

One thing I think is worth pointing out: We are talking about 2.5 & 2.8 four bangers in the Delica Community. Many of these tests were done on 7+ litre American diesel engines. I'm wondering what the performance differences are between a Mitsubishi 2.5 four cylinder in-line engine and a 7.3 V8 Ford Power Stroke?

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
legionnair

Post by legionnair »

thedjjack wrote:I would think using high quality 2-stroke oil would be an idea.

I had a few friends ride and race 2-stroke street bikes and running lawnmower 2-stroke oil resulted in seized motors (few times that they forgot to pack good oil and bought gas station oil).

I know in my chainsaw I only run good quality oil and it runs all day being abused without complaints.

Just a thought....
Completely different applications in my Gasgas trails bike I run 100:1 synthetic but in a 2 stroke it lubes the rings, wrist pin, piston rod bearings, but i believe buying the synthetic for diesel mix is wasteful simple 2 stroke mix will be enough for that added lube for the injection pump

Dustin
helibrian

Post by helibrian »

i run my van on jet fuel, it is dry meaning no lubricant so I use stanadyne I have been doing this for over 4 years with no problems with my injector pump I buy the 20l pale which cost about $270. I use more than it asks for but more lubricant the better.
Onesweetvan
Vehicle: E350

Post by Onesweetvan »

Interesting thread. I don't own a Delica, but sure like them and all vans in general, except for (soccer mom type) mini vans.

I have owned 4 large bore Diesels and estimate to have burned about 400,000 US gallons over the last 2,000,000 miles. I've never lost an injector or fuel pump for any reason and have never used any additive for the purpose of adding lubricity to the fuel. I have used "Diesel 911" from Power Service once when I bought some fuel contaminated with water. It worked as advertised and solved my problem, but water in Diesel is not really a problem these days like it was 15 years ago or even further back.

But as far as lubricity goes, I'm convinced that fuel system failures are a direct result of poor maintenance (i.e. dirty/ cheap fuel filters not changed often enough), poor fuel quality (probably not an issue in any major center in Canada) and wear (things do wear out).

Old time truckers used to put a quart of ATF in each tank at every fill up and were convinced they were "doing something" for their engine. These days there is a shelf full of products to chose from. IMO the only thing you will accomplish by using them is to have less money. Better to buy a quality filter and change it early. Everytime.
Fishtank
Vehicle: 1994 Spacegear Exceed LWB Tall

Post by Fishtank »

Onesweetvan wrote:Interesting thread. I don't own a Delica, but sure like them and all vans in general, except for (soccer mom type) mini vans.

I have owned 4 large bore Diesels and estimate to have burned about 400,000 US gallons over the last 2,000,000 miles. I've never lost an injector or fuel pump for any reason and have never used any additive for the purpose of adding lubricity to the fuel. I have used "Diesel 911" from Power Service once when I bought some fuel contaminated with water. It worked as advertised and solved my problem, but water in Diesel is not really a problem these days like it was 15 years ago or even further back.

But as far as lubricity goes, I'm convinced that fuel system failures are a direct result of poor maintenance (i.e. dirty/ cheap fuel filters not changed often enough), poor fuel quality (probably not an issue in any major center in Canada) and wear (things do wear out).

Old time truckers used to put a quart of ATF in each tank at every fill up and were convinced they were "doing something" for their engine. These days there is a shelf full of products to chose from. IMO the only thing you will accomplish by using them is to have less money. Better to buy a quality filter and change it early. Everytime.
If you did some searching on this forum you'd find there is very well documented evidence of the North American ULSD causing leaking seals on our Japanese imports. Not just hear-say from your average owner or shade tree mechanic, but backed up from ALL the importers and maintenance shops that specialize in JDM. For a vehicle to start on, and run it's whole life on ULSD it's not an issue. The problem comes with the change over from running Japanese diesel then switching to the NA ULSD. This shrinks the seals and causes leaks, hence the additives.

But just because you haven't had a problem in 2,000,000 miles, doesn't mean almost every trucker on the road is using diesel additive and wasting money. If anything, this is a sign of preventative maintenance.

2-stroke oil is probably one of the more common, non-specific, additives among truckers. Howes probably being the most popular additives designed specifically for ULSD lubricity compensation.
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

A continuation of what Fishtank is commenting on, the same thing is happening for some of the performance gasoline vehicles that are being imported to NA from the JDM market. Their gasoline has a higher octane rating, and some of their performance cars require 94 or higher gasoline to run properly. Considering 91 or 92 is generally considered "Supreme" on this continent, that is a bit of a problem for those cars.

The same can be said about our diesel. Not only is it poorer quality than pretty much everywhere else in the world (why the new VW's coke up so badly over here, but not in Europe), but it also no longer has the lubricant in it (sulfur) that our 15+ year old engines were designed for. It only makes sense to add something.

As a sidebar issue: when I tried 5W30 during the winter here in Victoria, it did help with starting on those 'colder' mornings. But, after spring had sprung and I was into summer, my engine dripped at least a teaspoon of engine oil a night onto my driveway. Changed it back to 15W40 - no more dripping. Point is, the tolerances on these older diesels is obviously not as tight as the newer engines, and this is just another example.

Just something to consider.

PS: I either use WVO (when I can get it), waste engine oil (after an oil change), or now 2 stroke engine oil. WVO only in the summer when the nighttime temperature doesn't get below 10 C, but other than that I'm just blending in the main fuel tank (no auxiliary system installed).
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
Onesweetvan
Vehicle: E350

Post by Onesweetvan »

OK, adding a clean oil to your fuel in hopes that it will be of some benefit is one thing, (not convinced) but adding used engine oil to a fuel system, thinking you are doing something good for your engine?

The oil was judged too dirty to remain in the crankcase (that's why you changed it) so now it's suitable for the far more delicate fuel system?
What am I missing here?
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Onesweetvan wrote:OK, adding a clean oil to your fuel in hopes that it will be of some benefit is one thing, (not convinced) but adding used engine oil to a fuel system, thinking you are doing something good for your engine?

The oil was judged too dirty to remain in the crankcase (that's why you changed it) so now it's suitable for the far more delicate fuel system?
What am I missing here?
No, the oil is changed because the particulate is too great - filter it and then burn it.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
legionnair

Post by legionnair »

Onesweetvan wrote:OK, adding a clean oil to your fuel in hopes that it will be of some benefit is one thing, (not convinced) but adding used engine oil to a fuel system, thinking you are doing something good for your engine?

What am I missing here?
I wrench on the transit buses when we switch to ULSD we went thru a rash of dead injectors on detroit 50 series and cummins m11 also hammered injection pumps on 5.9 cummins VP 44 injection pumps. All the new engines or once the injectiors were replaced and ran on the new fuel no problems

If adding an extra $2-3 bucks a tank makes the system live problem free then that is cheap piece of mind

Happy driving

Dustin
tonydca
Vehicle: 95 L400 Exceed - yeah, baby!

Post by tonydca »

Pretty comprehensive study with results at johnfjensen.com:

http://www.delica.ca/forum/seafoam-disc ... tml#p74021
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the elementary-school-aged boys...
legionnair

Post by legionnair »

Very interesting read, than you for posting.
I have been using the 2 stroke oil now for 4 full tanks and the deli seams to like it

Return to “L300 Technical”