Rough Idle/Stalling

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
MattieB1
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 92 Pajero Exceed

Rough Idle/Stalling

Post by MattieB1 »

hey everyone!

I just finished putting a new head on my 92 4d56 turbo, and since then he has been running really well and then not at all. It has been getting worse the last few days with a really low idle RPM and stalling out if I don't have the little idle adjuster pulled part way out. Now looking under the hood, there seems to be some puddles of diesel around the injectors. Could this possibly be the source of my issues. When I start him up there is definitely some white smoke but it settles off but still idles really low when it comes to drive time. I'm just thinking it could be my injectors. Thanks for the help, if this things wasn't such and awesome truck all these littles things would make me hate it. But I love it still.

Thanks again,
Matt
jrrodger
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Pajero

Re: Rough Idle/Stalling

Post by jrrodger »

Seeing and confirming that Diesel is leaking out is never a good thing. Identifying the source of the leak is important. It sounds very likely related to your issue of Idling. From the description you give of recently changing the head/gasket; it sounds to me like you had everything working fine and then something has come loose after a short period of use again.

Depending on the source of where the diesel is leaking, I would recommend trying the easy places first:

-lift/remove the intercooler and see if you can see if the injector pump has leaks coming from any of the connections on the high pressure side and examine all the metal injector tubes

-verify that the fuel filter is has no leaks and is tightly secured to the top and bottom fixtures and not leaking and the water drain valve has not become partially open

-Identify all rubber hoses are properly connected feeding to/from the fuel filter and injector pump on the low-pressure side and none of the hoses are cracked/old. If Air is getting into the system and diesel is leaking out, you would see rough idle-ing conditions

-carefully look at all the injectors to see if they are screwed in the same depth into the heads. If there is one that is either x-threaded or has become loose tight that could be it

I hope for your sake that it is something that can be corrected easily above as it is much easier than tinkering with injectors and/or the fuel injection pump rubber.

regards,

JR

Return to “Pajero”