Pajero Trouble

A close "cousin" of the Mitsubishi Delica
GISdood
Vehicle: 1993 Mitsubishi Pajero

Re: Pajero Trouble

Post by GISdood »

deli1733 wrote:Ive been having an issue with my pajero stalling about 5 minutes after it is started, it has been getting worst, it was usually when idling now it does it when im driving. the batteries were bagged and i thought that was the problem so i replaced them and its still stalling. Im not driving it right now but ive tested the alternator and its putting out 14.2 volts. I bought a fuel filter yesterday so ill try that. Im kind of thinking its the front seal on the injection pump but not really sure because it starts really well in the cold with little to no smoke. Any ideas?
I had these exact same symptoms, and after searching around and asking the very same question on the UK-based Pajero owner's forum, the consensus was the same as what you're hearing here. Injector pump seal on the input shaft.

I had a local diesel mechanic do the work, and the part was sourced locally as well. IIRC, the total bill was about $300 for the labour, parts and taxes.

Here's the seal they removed and replaced (punched and drilled for extraction):

And here's the exploded parts diagram showing the part in question circled in red:

Since having the work done, the Pajero hasn't stalled once after starting under normal conditions. I forgot to plug it in one night at -35 here in Prince George, and it stalled once immediately after start-up, but no more of the usual "run for 5 minutes then stall for no reason" nonsense any more at all.

Hope this helps!
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

The seal gets rock hard and oil/air seeps in causing the stalling after sitting overnight.

Every 2.8 4M40 should have it replaced when they come over from Japan.

As far as I heard, every dealer is doing this now but it would be good to check just in case as it's just a $15 part but $3-400 in labour that you don't want to be stuck with after buying an L400 or Paj.

You can tell whether it has been done or not by the cold start/stalling, fresh sealant between the IP body - timing case and once removed the rubber will be like a rock compared to the pliable soft rubber on a new one.

Last edited by jessef on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
GISdood
Vehicle: 1993 Mitsubishi Pajero

Post by GISdood »

jfarsang wrote:The seal gets rock hard and oil/air seeps in causing the stalling after sitting overnight.
Exactly. That rubber portion of that seal I posted the picture of feels like brittle plastic. Definitely not very effective at keeping air out anymore.

Return to “Pajero”