Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

driventosustain
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 93 Delica Exceed

Re: Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by driventosustain »

Hello everyone on the Delica.ca forum.

Its been a long time and we've been extremely busy getting things ready for our American Leg of the journey. Just scrolling through the last few pages of this form and it looks as if a few rumors have developed over time which i can certainly clear up.

First i wanted to apologize for not returning to the Delica forum more frequently to post updates. The truth is, during the project we were extremely busy and any internet time was filled with website updates and email responses. It hasn't been easy, and the entire project is much like four full time jobs. Although for the American tour, I certainly want to try and get a few updates over to the Delica forum, even if its just copied from our site.

No we have not quit, unfortunately After Oil is mistaken. We have been down for the past 6 months due to a slipped timing belt (which was new) and its taken this long to have the parts shipped. Not to mention our mechanic miss diagnosed the problem and rather than the top end having to be replaced, we require a new engine due to a puncher in one of our pistons. So after 4 months of waiting for the top end, we had to do some more waiting. And hey, we might as well work while we wait.

The problem occurred more because the driving style than the weight. Due to a gradual incline and Cloe's inclination to accelerate just as the gears downshifted caused the timing belt to skip a couple teeth, which was enough for complete devastation.

Now that the repairs are close to completion, we will be up and back on the road in a couple weeks.

I assure you we're not trying to get a vacation out of this deal. Even if we wanted to take a vacation, we couldn't as The Sierra Club of BC is managing all donated funds. So far, we have visited just about a thousand students in Canada and have reached out to over 2 million possible impressions in the media. And with school out in the next couple months we are considering targeting Scouts.

Thanks again, for your continued support

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_91ybUakvs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_91ybUakvs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
driventosustain

after oil wrote:i asked them a couple of times about their filtration process.. i was worried they werent sufficiently dewatering and might have trouble down the road... they didnt seem to care. i never heard from them
Thanks a lot for your concern, although we haven't been pulling sources with water. Only independent sources and cubies.

Thanks again
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Hello everyone on the Delica.ca forum.

Its been a long time and we've been extremely busy getting things ready for our American Leg of the journey. Just scrolling through the last few pages of this form and it looks as if a few rumors have developed over time which i can certainly clear up.

First i wanted to apologize for not returning to the Delica forum more frequently to post updates. The truth is, during the project we were extremely busy and any internet time was filled with website updates and email responses. It hasn't been easy, and the entire project is much like four full time jobs. Although for the American tour, I certainly want to try and get a few updates over to the Delica forum, even if its just copied from our site.

you know how it is never having a spare moment on a road trip.

No we have not quit, unfortunately After Oil is mistaken. We have been down for the past 6 months due to a slipped timing belt (which was new) and its taken this long to have the parts shipped. Not to mention our mechanic miss diagnosed the problem and rather than the top end having to be replaced, we require a new engine due to a puncher in one of our pistons. So after 4 months of waiting for the top end, we had to do some more waiting. And hey, we might as well work while we wait.

Sorry buddy, guess again.

The problem occurred more because the driving style than the weight. Due to a gradual incline and Cloe's inclination to accelerate just as the gears downshifted caused the timing belt to skip a couple teeth, which was enough for complete devastation.

He blames the failure on his girlfriends driving habits openly on the web!!!!! Nough said. btw, I drove that way also.

Now that the repairs are close to completion, we will be up and back on the road in a couple weeks.

Delica.ca should start a betting pool on that.

I assure you we're not trying to get a vacation out of this deal. Even if we wanted to take a vacation, we couldn't as The Sierra Club of BC is managing all donated funds. So far, we have visited just about a thousand students in Canada and have reached out to over 2 million possible impressions in the media. And with school out in the next couple months we are considering targeting Scouts.

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that statment - BUT thoughs are super duper intentions. We would love to see proof to otherwise.

Thanks again, for your continued support

Sorry but I think that'll be hard to come by; ie. that bridges is smoldering - but if they stay involed and tap the fantastic resourse that is Delica.ca and it's awesome collection of members things might just go smoother for em and free up some minutes for the forum.
driventosustain wrote:
after oil wrote:i asked them a couple of times about their filtration process.. i was worried they werent sufficiently dewatering and might have trouble down the road... they didnt seem to care. i never heard from them
Thanks a lot for your concern, although we haven't been pulling sources with water. Only independent sources and cubies.

Thanks again
They need to do some research on water and oil; as anyone whom has done the crackle test in a frying pan can tell you - not all water floats to the top. Hard not wanting to turn into Bill Nay the science guy answering that!

I know replying like this classifies me as a troll but; there really are the most fantastic people on this forum and they would have possibly eased your troubles if you’d just asked, and having spent the last six months hearing environmental horn blowing bullstinky stuff personally my patience sucks in the area.

Good Luck!
Image Call me BCDelica-less
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

driventosustain wrote:We're staying in relatively warm areas so we can start on our Oil. Plus with the added benefit of having an electric heater installed just before its injected.
jfarsang wrote:Great news coverage. :M

Question please :

How are you driving on 100% WVO/SVO ?
Hi again.

Repeating my question twice.

How are you running on 100% WVO ?

Simple answer would be appreciated.

Thanks
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

BCDelica wrote: He blames the failure on his girlfriends driving habits openly on the web!!!!! Nough said
YIKES! Wow - if I pulled that on Hazelnut she'd, well, be pissed off - and rightly so. Good luck with the rest of your holiday DTS - and with keeping your girlfriend your girlfriend... Wow. I still suspect an overloaded trailer as the root cause of the wrecked motor myself, but what do I know... :?
Happy Day!
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

driventosustain wrote:
No we have not quit, unfortunately After Oil is mistaken.
sorry, i misunderstood. didnt mean to spread a rumour.

driventosustain wrote:
i have my doubts that your sources are free of water . i have processed thousands of liters of WVO several different ways for 3 years from different sources. it almost all has some water in it. did you test your oil?

it breaks my heart that you guys havent had success so far in your adventure to break a record and open some minds. the thing that bothers me is that you said in your introductions that you actually didnt know much about this stuff and you hoped to learn as you educate. i invited you to my house for 200 liters of free (de waterd) wvo. when you were in powell river you spent hours in a cafe sipping lattes and working on your computer. when you finally made it to my house, you had not a moment to spare save for getting the oil and then you burned off to the ferry. too bad you couldnt have stuck around for half an hour, maybe i could have learned you a thing or two.

i hope you have success. it was sure fun to drive 8775 km of 13,500 km on WVO on our trip to mexico, and to blog here at delica.ca and ask questions along the way. maybe my message didnt reach 2 million people, but i made plenty of friends and inspired more than a few people along the way.

godspeed!
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

well I think you could have saved yourself many months of waiting for parts if you didn't avoid this site like the plague. If you came on here you would have fond that CCautos at the very least would have all the parts you need and would ship them anywhere in NA wouldn't take 4 weeks let alone 4 months. Anyways have fun on the rest of your vacation, and I have driven timing belt cars just as old WAY harder then that with out slipping a belt, sounds like maybe your mech only replaced the belt and not the tensioner, again something that you would learn from this site if you used if for more than just free advertising.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

konadog wrote:
BCDelica wrote: He blames the failure on his girlfriends driving habits openly on the web!!!!! Nough said
YIKES! Wow - if I pulled that on Hazelnut she'd, well, be pissed off - and rightly so. Good luck with the rest of your holiday DTS - and with keeping your girlfriend your girlfriend... Wow. I still suspect an overloaded trailer as the root cause of the wrecked motor myself, but what do I know... :?
Well she is crying in that video.......................................................... :-(
Image Call me BCDelica-less
Chewy
Vehicle: 1995 Suzuki Every VW

Post by Chewy »

That's exactly how I drove my Delicas, you can get it to downshift quite nicely based on throttle position. I know for a fact it wasn't driving style.
FS: ' 95 Suzuki Every VW Kombi EFI.
driventosustain

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/52jg-So84tI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/52jg-So84tI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

It's hard not to be critical considering they completed their goal with so little help from this community. I can't help but remember how they didn't want us to give them a Delica send-off from Victoria, to show-case the vehicle (not necessarily the fuel), and they panned on that idea: "Wouldn't present quite the right image" was something like what they said.

Anyway, congratulations, you've made achieved your goal - you did as you said you would. Gotta acknowledge that. When you can spare the time, drop by one of our meets. There's always room for one more Delica.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
driventosustain

mararmeisto wrote:It's hard not to be critical considering they completed their goal with so little help from this community. I can't help but remember how they didn't want us to give them a Delica send-off from Victoria, to show-case the vehicle (not necessarily the fuel), and they panned on that idea: "Wouldn't present quite the right image" was something like what they said.

Anyway, congratulations, you've made achieved your goal - you did as you said you would. Gotta acknowledge that. When you can spare the time, drop by one of our meets. There's always room for one more Delica.
Thanks for the words of support at the end there. In regards to the Delica Send Off idea: we never said NO to it; we did however voice our concern about what others may have thought.
driventosustain wrote:I would love to see a bunch of Delicas driving down the highway to see me off on the nightly news. Except a large convoy of vehicles defeats the purpose of raising awareness about sustainability... Although it would look great on the TV, it would give my critics something to go after right from the start!
Also, we have been getting a ton of help from the Canadian Delica community. I would like to thank everyone who posted kind worlds of support on here and I would also like to thank Ari Neimand and would especially like to mention Glenn at Coombs Country and John at Rocky Mountain imports. Their support and sponsorship have been a critical element to this project.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Good to see you two made it to the end. :M

As far as critics when you started out and what they would have thought about the Delica, why would it matter ?

When you look at the past alternative fuel/driven vehicles, many are very unique like the Delica and many had been criticized about not being able to complete their said journey's.

Food for thought.

If you guys did this solely for environmental purposes, they critics and what people thought about your journey should not have been a consideration.

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”