Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

driventosustain
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 93 Delica Exceed

Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by driventosustain »

As for the specific time, i am unsure at the moment but Delica owners are encouraged to come and show your support.

October 1st my girlfriend Cloe and myself are embarking on an epic mission to raise awareness on sustainable living. We will be driving 45 000 km all over North America and getting as much media attention as possible. The entire trip will be filmed for a documentary or TV mini series on our return. We plan to interview and discuss with professionals across N. America about 10 critical issues that humans negatively impact. Learn more on www.driventosustain.ca

I am enlisting the help of anyone in the Delica community that is willing to help with conversions this month in Victoria. The WVO conversion will be taking place on the 17th - 20th. I am also installing a bed, that can hopefully fold up to become a couch in the back, flood lights, trailer hitch, and other necessities. If anyone has experience in any of these, or just wants to help tool around and have a beer, then please email me.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, put forward to a good cause, and will be recognized on our website and possibly on our vehicle.
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Re: Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by after oil »

dear tyson and cloe!
i offer you both more respect than you can ever know for undertaking this very important mission! and that youre doing it in the absolute coolest and most practical vehicle for the journey.

as well i offer you an invitation to powell river BC. its only a little out of your way but i bet you can reach a lot of people here. i would volunteer to help with publicity in powell river if you think you can come. and i can fill you up (and then some) with WVO.

pm me if you wanna talk more in detail about an event here.

i will surely be tracking your journey,
godspeed!

after oil
driventosustain

Thank YOU!

Also, thank you for your donation, we will see that this money is positively contributing to our cause. Your request has been processed and is now updated as an Individual Supporter on our site: http://driventosustain.ca/sponsors.html

I would love change our itinerary for you, the only complication with the first leg of our journey is that we are banking a huge volume of oil to drive though northern Canada. If we were to come up to Powell River, that would drain out of our reserve, and would cause problems with not enough fuel down the road.

If you were able to hold +200 Lt of filtered WVO for us then we would be happy to make the visit on October 1st.

Keep us informed on your thoughts...

Tyson
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

I am sad to think that I won't be able to see you off on the 1st of October - I'll still be in Quebec at the military school! :-( I think that will be SOOOOOOOO cool if a bunch of Delicas were to be there with you at the start, maybe even drive all the way to the ferry with you. I would surely do that if I wasn't going away...

Reviewing the route, are you trying to go to all 50 states? Too bad it looks like you're missing Nunavut on the Canadian leg of the journey - no New York Fries up there?

Is your vehicle as elevated as the one displayed on your website? If so, WOW! What kind of trailer will you be towing? What's the trailer for? The WVO and processing plant? Looking forward to seeing the arrangement.
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
driventosustain

I would love to see a bunch of Delicas driving down the highway to see me off on the nightly news. Except a large convoy of vehicles defeats the purpose of raising awareness about sustainability... Although it would look great on the TV, it would give my critics something to go after right from the start!

The American route map is not set in stone, although i would like to visit every state, it may not be possible due to our fuel locations. We are still waiting to hear back from Kahala corp. for our fuel connection in America, as New York Fries doesn't exist in the states (i know). It doesn't look promising though, all large food corporations already have stake holders that claim the oil.... its honestly like a bunch of Texans claiming rights to land back in the wild west 100 years ago down there. We have gone through countless large corporations that would like to be involved but can't due to "binding contracts". Kahala corp is our last option, and if it doesn't pan out we plan on winging it with the the help of fillup4free.com.

Our Delica doesn't have the lift kit yet, and we are still unsure if we will go through with the lift. It would be nice to make it look like our concept photo, but we can get pretty close to the "Look" with out the lift.

As you can guess, 3-4 months living on the road is going to require some equipment, especially on WVO. Because of financial restraints we will be basically living out of the van the entire time, cooking, sleeping, office, pleasure and many other daily living functions we currently take for granted. All these things require some amount of supplies. The primary reason for the trailer is for fuel though. We are attempting a huge stretch (9 000 km) that virtually has little to no guaranteed fuel stops. This stretch can be seen on our site and goes from Prince George - Fort St John. We hope to bank 80% of the fuel required, and the other... well we will see.

So in short, yes... a processing plant. We are going to need a lot of this stuff!
Fanny Bay Delica

Post by Fanny Bay Delica »

What a load of self-indulgent drivel IMO.
Cheers!!

Andy

'91 Delica Super Exceed (Jade over Silver) - SOLD!! - SOLD!! SOLD!!

[Image
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:What a load of self-indulgent drivel IMO.
Be that as you may see it, it is THEIR dream. And more importantly, they're not just dreaming it, they're living it.

IMO, I think it is a much more sustainable trip that the one Al Gore is flying about pitching his "Inconvenient Truth" movie. I doubt the aircraft Al was flying about in was even a tenth as green as this van is going to be...
JPL
Fanny Bay Delica

mararmeisto wrote:
Be that as you may see it, it is THEIR dream. And more importantly, they're not just dreaming it, they're living it.

IMO, I think it is a much more sustainable trip that the one Al Gore is flying about pitching his "Inconvenient Truth" movie. I doubt the aircraft Al was flying about in was even a tenth as green as this van is going to be...
Not trying to rain on their parade but I fail to see how driving around the continent on chip fat does anything to improve the environment or raises the profile of anything in particular. If someone wants to drive around for 4-5 months on an adventure, more power to them but to cloak it in some higher purpose is a little bit delusional. Trying to set a record on chip fat distance is a fine objective in and of itself. Again IMO!!
Cheers!!

Andy

[Image
driventosustain

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:
mararmeisto wrote:

Not trying to rain on their parade but I fail to see how driving around the continent on chip fat does anything to improve the environment or raises the profile of anything in particular. If someone wants to drive around for 4-5 months on an adventure, more power to them but to cloak it in some higher purpose is a little bit delusional. Trying to set a record on chip fat distance is a fine objective in and of itself. Again IMO!!
Andy,
you have obviously researched our proposals and goals extremely thoroughly. Congratulations!, you caught us; we ARE trying to gain recognition to a cause we have absolutely no affiliation with… and I thought no one would catch on. I have obviously underestimated the likes of Andy – 91 jade over silver.

Seriously though, YOU (Andy – 91 jade over silver) are the exact demographic we are targeting. The production company that’s representing us in an effort to create a television series is tailoring something with people like you in mind. So don’t fret, you will be entertained and will learn a few things.

I have another critic in Vancouver, you two should meet. Here is that critic’s response:

Quote:
“Will that create like 45,000 tons of CO2? Seems a bit much to be burning oil for a trip, for the environment, no? Is that different from burning cash for a fundraiser? Or hosting dog fights to raise
awareness for the SPCA? Doesn't seem that sustainable to me, especially in a climate of rising food prices, which is what they are burning (vegetable oil). The engine isn't as efficient as a gas car, so am I missing something? I can understand they are going on an awesome trip, but it seems not very well thought out, unless they are cruising on solar/nuclear/wind/wave/superman power its not reallysustainable at all.”

So you both missed some important issues here.

1. No, 1 km driven does not translate to 1 TON of CO2.

2. I am not about to green wash our choice in fuel. WVO is not a viable alternative for a green future. Although Biodiesel corporations will have you think this is true, and will green wash it by calling it “carbon neutral,” it’s not.

a. What WVO is though, is a recycled product that requires little to no rendering, therefore little to no CO2 emissions.

b. Vegetable oil comes from plants that grow, absorb C02, and is then released as we burn it in our vehicle. This is the “theory” of carbon neutral that Biodiesel corporations would have you believe. What they don’t tell you is to harvest, fertilize, pesticide, and process the oil creates C02. Well the studies of exactly how much CO2 it creates is still debatable, but we do know one thing… it is a better alternative than fossil fuels.

c. Because our emissions are in theory far less then what they would be on standard diesel you wouldn’t think we would purchase carbon credits to offset the little carbon we create. But we would. In fact, we are actually offsetting the entire trip if it was done on standard diesel. Doing this actually will give us a negative surplus of carbon.

d. Before you make any more wild allegations and try to discredit carbon credits, I highly suggest you do your own research. If you are still a skeptic on how carbon credits actually work, then feel free to give me a call.

3. I am unclear as to how nuclear is sustainable? There is an entire page on uranium that I’m not prepared to write here.

4. Don’t worry the fact that we are burning a recycled product that grows out of the ground doesn’t mean food prices are going to rise. Yes, there are some issues surrounding the rising cost of food due to the production of ethanol and Biofuels; this doesn’t relate to our system. Unless you can devise a system of converting waste vegetable oil into food for developing nations, then you will become a saint. Until that day, I am burning it in my car.

5. We haven’t told you what engine we are using yet, so it’s difficult to make a statement like “The engine isn't as efficient as a gas car.”

a. And our 93 Mitsubishi Delica is extremely efficient. The 2.5 Lt engine gets 28.22 Miles per US gallon, or 8.33 km per Lt. Not too bad if you compare it to other vehicles in its class.

6. You’re right, the trip will be awesome!

7. Driving to break a world record on longest journey doesn’t sound very sustainable, correct. The method in which we are using to do this is the most sustainable option available to us. We are using systems such as carbon credits that make it sustainable and are available to everyone. You can’t expect two well intentioned individuals to attempt to break a world record for no cause. Our cause just happens to be one of the most urgent on our planet.

8. The awareness and change we hope to invoke will offset anything we do within those 4 months and even you can’t predict what that change will be. You certainly wouldn’t slander David Suzuki for driving across Canada to create awareness.

So to summarize, you are both the exact reason why people like us do things like this: the type that jump to conclusions, state foolish proclamations, adopt others’ thoughts, and NEVER do their own research.

As for your poppycock, well you need to research what exactly we are proposing before you such make wild allegations Andy – 91 jade over silver. I’m sure our partner Sierra Club would have something to say about your drivel. And it’s for these reasons, people like you will see the sustainable projects Driven to Sustain visits, adopt their thoughts, jump to conclusions, and begin going around stating sustainable proclamations. Goal Achieved!

Although I am flattered to have you as a critic, unfortunately I believe your time would be better spent becoming an individual supporter by donating at http://driventosustain.ca/Support.html or by donating with our partners such as http://www.sierraclub.bc.ca/quick-links/donate
Last edited by driventosustain on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanny Bay Delica

Yet more pontificating prattle, what you are doing is going on jaunt with your girlfriend and tarting it up as some noble cause. Save the diatribe and enjoy what it is you're actually doing - a post university adventure before you have to settle down and earn a living. We all did the same thing, back packing across Europe, skiing for a year in the Rockies, etc, etc.

On this forum I'd be far more interested on what you did with the Deli to prepare for the trip of this length. 45K Kms would be impressive and I assume you've spent much time and money ensuring the vehicle is ready to go. Please give us a run down - with respect to the rest (political and environmental objectives) not so interested.
Cheers!!

Andy

[Image
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

driventosustain wrote:b. Vegetable oil comes from plants that grow, absorb C02, and is then released as we burn it in our vehicle. This is the “theory” of carbon neutral that Biodiesel corporations would have you believe. What they don’t tell you is to harvest, fertilize, pesticide, and process the oil creates C02. Well the studies of exactly how much CO2 it creates is still debatable, but we do know one thing… it is a better alternative than fossil fuels.

don't forget, that all the emissions created to harvest the plants and process and ship and the like are not really attributable to the person using WVO as a fuel as those emissions will happen whether or not you use it, people are going to eat tempura, fires, jalapeño poppers and what ever other deep fried crap they want regardless of what happens to the oil after. just my 2 cents.
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

loki wrote:
driventosustain wrote:b. Vegetable oil comes from plants that grow, absorb C02, and is then released as we burn it in our vehicle. This is the “theory” of carbon neutral that Biodiesel corporations would have you believe. What they don’t tell you is to harvest, fertilize, pesticide, and process the oil creates C02. Well the studies of exactly how much CO2 it creates is still debatable, but we do know one thing… it is a better alternative than fossil fuels.

don't forget, that all the emissions created to harvest the plants and process and ship and the like are not really attributable to the person using WVO as a fuel as those emissions will happen whether or not you use it, people are going to eat tempura, fires, jalapeño poppers and what ever other deep fried crap they want regardless of what happens to the oil after. just my 2 cents.
precisely! driven to sustain are diverting a product from the waste stream, and turning in to something that people are literally shedding blood for.
Fanny Bay Delica wrote:Yet more pontificating prattle, what you are doing is going on jaunt with your girlfriend and tarting it up as some noble cause. Save the diatribe and enjoy what it is you're actually doing - a post university adventure before you have to settle down and earn a living. We all did the same thing, back packing across Europe, skiing for a year in the Rockies, etc, etc.
they say dont feed the troll, but anyways:
andy, sounds like you believed the hype from the boomer generation that everybody needs to settle down at some point and get a job. maybe you fell for it and now you want everybody else to follow suit. well the times they are a changin' and some of us are getting ready for whats to come while others are also raising awareness and showing there is another way. i hope for tyson and cloe that this adventure is only the beginning of a lifetime of activism and inspiration in these times of uncertainty.

andy, you dont have to like it, and you can pout all you want while others are adventuring, but i dont think this is the place for debate about the legitimacy of driven to sustain. if you dont wanna play, then take your ball and go home.

i believe this thread is a forum for anybody who wants to celebrate and support these guys on their historic record breaking journey in a
MITSUBISHI DELICA L300

ride on!
Fanny Bay Delica

after oil wrote:
loki wrote:

precisely! driven to sustain are diverting a product from the waste stream, and turning in to something that people are literally shedding blood for.
Fanny Bay Delica wrote:Yet more pontificating prattle, what you are doing is going on jaunt with your girlfriend and tarting it up as some noble cause. Save the diatribe and enjoy what it is you're actually doing - a post university adventure before you have to settle down and earn a living. We all did the same thing, back packing across Europe, skiing for a year in the Rockies, etc, etc.
they say dont feed the troll, but anyways:
andy, sounds like you believed the hype from the boomer generation that everybody needs to settle down at some point and get a job. maybe you fell for it and now you want everybody else to follow suit. well the times they are a changin' and some of us are getting ready for whats to come while others are also raising awareness and showing there is another way. i hope for tyson and cloe that this adventure is only the beginning of a lifetime of activism and inspiration in these times of uncertainty.

andy, you dont have to like it, and you can pout all you want while others are adventuring, but i dont think this is the place for debate about the legitimacy of driven to sustain. if you dont wanna play, then take your ball and go home.

i believe this thread is a forum for anybody who wants to celebrate and support these guys on their historic record breaking journey in a
MITSUBISHI DELICA L300

ride on!
The left always loves a debate unless someone disagrees with them!!!!!!
Cheers!!

Andy

[Image
mararmeisto

Post by mararmeisto »

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:The left always loves a debate unless someone disagrees with them!!!!!!
Funny thing is, you're still typing. :?
JPL
driventosustain

On this forum I'd be far more interested on what you did with the Deli to prepare for the trip of this length. 45K Kms would be impressive and I assume you've spent much time and money ensuring the vehicle is ready to go. Please give us a run down - with respect to the rest (political and environmental objectives) not so interested.
Not quite aimless banter, nor is any of this unprovable. If you were an advocate for sustainability or the environment you would understand and agree with everything I just talked about in the previous post.

You have no evidence to suggest our age other than pictures, nor can you support the fact that we have been to school. I guess you can say I have been doing these “post university adventures” for several years now. I have no intentions to “settle down” and full intentions to continue raising awareness, continue doing things like Driven to Sustain, and continue to change opinions like yours. Not sure if we still fit the category of those baby boomers you have us so well portrayed.

I suppose it may be time to settle down, have a kid, and put up the picket fence. That sounds like a grand idea, we all might as well and after all, everyone else is! If everyone decided to dedicate their life to the global economic machine, nothing would really get done especially surrounding ecological concerns.

Allow me to exhibit my excitement for your dismay:

Although you have assumed this is diatribe, we, and many others see it as an amazing opportunity and will ultimately lead to the greater. Youth already look up to Driven to Sustain, we invoke change in adults, and we certainly have you awfully disgruntled. Evidently our system is working and we haven’t even left our drive way. Success! Although disgruntled people may not be our most favorable first objective, it is still the ladder of options. You will continue to grown about this for the next few months, then eventually change.
It is human nature to categorize things they don’t understand before they attempt to process or acquire evidence to support their case. Prejudice is a favorable tool for the ignoramus.

If you ever suddenly feel the desire to become sustainable, we suggest you learn more at fine sites such as:
http://onesky.ca/
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/NatureChalle ... nateSplash
http://www.sierraclub.org

Remember it’s a two part process and requires action. You must put your new found knowledge into action. These sites should give you enough “pontificating prattle” until your heart’s desire!

Bon appétit

P.S
Don’t fret you will undoubtedly see many posts on how we modified our Delica. But to your dismay, it will be laced with plenty political and environmental “mumbo jumbo”.

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”