Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Re: Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by BCDelica »

Hope this thread keeps growing and going; with regards to sustainability whatever/wherever the discussion goes.

Been in a couple of deep discussion over this thread and D2S’s little trip with a partner here in Thailand. Besides being an expat with over 20 years living in Asia option, he and a close Thai friend both think ‘what a glorified waste of time’. From the Eastern point of view it’s a shameless, self promoting time and resource waster.

All of us agreed that if we had the time it would be a fun road trip to see all the road ways of North America. To make a long story short; the gang of eight last night agreed with Andy’s point of view.

The main matter of discussion last night was how (if possible) to keep all the different groups, organizations, and businesses to stay focused on a single issue that concerns them must and the most feasible solution available practically (or with current affordable technology); without eventually discussing/agreeing/quoting all avenues of resources reduction. Old story of all talk and no action (the more I learn how things are different here the more they seem the same). What I see here and all the literature I’ve reading this last month is nobody stays focused on a single issue. If it comes from underground it is non renewable and if it’s grown it is renewable; but I’d bet every single process/resource production/etc can be improved upon or changed.

I’m going to stop lecturing cause I just deleted most of what I’d written as I found it too negative (feeling frustrated). Just tired of all the talk and very few people trying to actually take some first step towards the old three R’s. And hey if D2S gets a few people looking at there usages and taking steps or action an; then ye-ha! Good on them.

My point: I two would like to see their WVO conversion too.

Regards,
Kevin

And yes I had too many beers last night. :-D :M
Image Call me BCDelica-less
after oil
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Post by after oil »

i have been waiting for you to chime in bro...
too bad you deleted all the negative sounding stuff. how can anybody write positively when faced with the reality that the ship is sinking any way you look at it... (AND the flood waters are rising.... :|
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Being here where everyone drives; even if it’s blocks on quiet alleys or 4 blocks to the gym. Majority drives economical scooters, but there very few cyclist (and man it’s perfect cycling country) and the walkers are almost always Farang. When the dealer sold the new truck we had a deposit on it didn’t bother us at all; we hope to drive as little as possible.

I’ve soured on the idea of ‘driving to sustain’.

You all know I’m a huge WVO enthusiast, so if they can’t even dangle the technical stuff out to interest me…………….

Treading water in a sea of smog buddy!

:M
Fanny Bay Delica

Post by Fanny Bay Delica »

BCDelica wrote:Hope this thread keeps growing and going; with regards to sustainability whatever/wherever the discussion goes.

Been in a couple of deep discussion over this thread and D2S’s little trip with a partner here in Thailand. Besides being an expat with over 20 years living in Asia option, he and a close Thai friend both think ‘what a glorified waste of time’. From the Eastern point of view it’s a shameless, self promoting time and resource waster.

All of us agreed that if we had the time it would be a fun road trip to see all the road ways of North America. To make a long story short; the gang of eight last night agreed with Andy’s point of view.

The main matter of discussion last night was how (if possible) to keep all the different groups, organizations, and businesses to stay focused on a single issue that concerns them must and the most feasible solution available practically (or with current affordable technology); without eventually discussing/agreeing/quoting all avenues of resources reduction. Old story of all talk and no action (the more I learn how things are different here the more they seem the same). What I see here and all the literature I’ve reading this last month is nobody stays focused on a single issue. If it comes from underground it is non renewable and if it’s grown it is renewable; but I’d bet every single process/resource production/etc can be improved upon or changed.

I’m going to stop lecturing cause I just deleted most of what I’d written as I found it too negative (feeling frustrated). Just tired of all the talk and very few people trying to actually take some first step towards the old three R’s. And hey if D2S gets a few people looking at there usages and taking steps or action an; then ye-ha! Good on them.

My point: I two would like to see their WVO conversion too.

Regards,
Kevin

And yes I had too many beers last night. :-D :M

Great - so Kevin and all of Thailand are in agreement "Andy was right" --- Beers all round!!!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D
Cheers!!

Andy

'91 Delica Super Exceed (Jade over Silver) - SOLD!! - SOLD!! SOLD!!

[Image
BCDelica

Post by BCDelica »

Fanny Bay Delica wrote:Great - so Kevin and all of Thailand are in agreement "Andy was right" --- Beers all round!!!!

:-D :-D :-D :-D
I'll buy em'.

All?
jrman
Vehicle: 1991 MMC Delica Exceed - Scoobus

Post by jrman »

Yup...agree with Andy too. Just can't help myself when it comes to typing out my opinions. Do appreciate the civility in this forum though and understand and accept that we all have different opinions and perceptions of the world we live in. Just back from a business trip in Japan and South Korea it's tough to take our own actions to reduce our "footprint" seriously when witnessing what is going on elsewhere. In my own mind, I just keep coming back to the thought that we just need to seriously reduce the number of people on this planet in some way - all the rest is nice and noble, but I fear it won't mean a damn thing if we don't get the population under control. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Well - off to pick up my deli from Mardy with a newly rebuilt IP......hmmm - looking forward to a nice smooth ride!
Cheers everyone.
Sean in North Van
1991 Delica Exceed - Scoobus
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

jrman wrote: I just keep coming back to the thought that we just need to seriously reduce the number of people on this planet in some way - all the rest is nice and noble, but I fear it won't mean a damn thing if we don't get the population under control.
While this is true, I think a bigger problem is the greed of the West - North America is only about 5% of the world's population and yet we take about 25% of the wealth so in essence our current lifestyle makes us seem like more people than we are, by a looooong shot. I read once that if the entire world lived like the average Canadian the planet would have to be 8 times as big as it is to support everyone :? And as for the currently super high population numbers, fear not, it can collapse in a generation... :M
Happy Day!
jrman
Vehicle: 1991 MMC Delica Exceed - Scoobus

Guinness World Record with Delica October 1st Mile Zero

Post by jrman »

Yes, I heard a similar stat about how many Earths would be required to sustain the worlds population to the same standard as the average North American...truly frightening. It will surely lead to more severe conflicts over resources in the future, no doubt at all.

A good read on the subject (though I'm not all the way through yet) is "The War of the World - 20th Century Conflict and the Descent of the West" by Niall Ferguson.
Sean in North Van
1991 Delica Exceed - Scoobus
driventosustain
Vehicle: 93 Delica Exceed

Post by driventosustain »

BCDelica wrote:And hey if D2S gets a few people looking at there usages and taking steps or action an; then ye-ha! Good on them.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxwEVL8uB0A&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxwEVL8uB0A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Great news coverage. :M

Question please :

How are you driving on 100% WVO/SVO ?
loki
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

Post by loki »

jfarsang wrote:Great news coverage. :M

Question please :

well once I'm finished my conversion I will be able to run 100% wvo, single tank conversion :)
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

loki wrote:
jfarsang wrote:Great news coverage. :M

Question please :

well once I'm finished my conversion I will be able to run 100% wvo, single tank conversion :)
But what about starts and warm downs? All the systems in use so far need regular diesel in the lines for starting until the veg is warmed 'cause the unheated veg is too thick for the IP and injectors. This question has been asked of Drivetosustain several times, but they have yet to explain how their system overcomes this... :?
Happy Day!
loki

Post by loki »

konadog wrote:But what about starts and warm downs? All the systems in use so far need regular diesel in the lines for starting until the veg is warmed 'cause the unheated veg is too thick for the IP and injectors. This question has been asked of Drivetosustain several times, but they have yet to explain how their system overcomes this... :?
the single tank system has electric heaters, an extra pump and different injector nozzles, you can start and shutdown on 100% WVO down to -10 50/50 mix down to -15 or so all diesel after that, so not the system you want for cold weather, you can put a small 2nd tank and make it so you can do the 2 tank thing in the cold weather but then can go 100% WVO when it is warmer.

elsbett have been around for 25 years or more and know what they are doing.

http://www.elsbett.com/us/about-us/introduction.html
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Loki,

I'm familiar with the elsbett single tank sys. Coworker's husband has been running one in a Merc for quite some time and loves it.

Drive 2 Sustain I'm not sure they are running a single tank sys. That's why I was wondering how they are heating the WVO throughout the system.
loki

Post by loki »

jfarsang wrote:Loki,

I'm familiar with the elsbett single tank sys. Coworker's husband has been running one in a Merc for quite some time and loves it.

Drive 2 Sustain I'm not sure they are running a single tank sys. That's why I was wondering how they are heating the WVO throughout the system.

ya sorry, I figured that but I feel the need to remind people of the existence of the single tank systems as 90% of posts assume that 2 tank is the only way to do it :).

that said I finally have all the parts needed for my centrifuge filter, just need to find the time to assemble it, should be in a month, then I need to buck up and install the conversion kit :shock: it's a little daunting when it's your only vehicle :)

Return to “Events - BC Vancouver Island”