Pentiction
5%
Somewhere on the island
32%

Total votes: 22

biozach
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

Post by biozach »

I'm game for a long weekend in April. Whatever works out with everyone, I'm pretty flexible. My 2yr old loves 4x4ing. We rented a jeep in Costa Rica last year for a month and she loved it. Then again, she really didn't have a choice as even the InterAmericana Highway is practically a 4x4 road in the green season. I'm up for Pemberton or Mitch's loop to Harrison and around.
Adrock

Post by Adrock »

The earlier week works perfectly for me. I was planning to leave for mexico on the 15th. But could obviously push it a day or 2, since we planned for 2 weeks just to make it to palm springs. Plus I think my mexico partner wants to come on this thing anyways.

I have a spare room as well, depending on when your flight gets in I could pick you up at the airport and show you around a bit before heading home for the evening and then make the journey to the meet the next day. I live with 2 cats, and my mom. I'd move out but having a free place to keep all my stuff while I explore the world is the plan for right now.

13, 14, 15 is definitely my vote. I'm afraid I can't make it any later without severely altering plans which I hate to do, especially since I gave my mexico buddy shit for it already haha.

Hope we can really make this work!

Adam.
josh
Vehicle: L300 poptop gasser

Post by josh »

I might be able to make the long trip down if it was the last weekend of march/first of april (fri march 30- Sun April 1st) because my wife has a wedding she has to go to down in seattle. Instead of here flying I could drive down to pemby anyhow... just a thought.

Josh
Mystery Machine

Post by Mystery Machine »

josh wrote:I might be able to make the long trip down if it was the last weekend of march/first of april
Well if it means I get to meet Josh as well - I don't mind booking even earlier than the dates already mentioned! :D :D (I get to come over sooner that way! :lol: )

The flights are more expensive, but hire cars are the same price!

Adam, you will also get more time between the meet and your trip to Mexico! :wink: (including a British stowaway if you're not careful! :twisted: )

If it's not too rude to do so (being the outsider!) I'd like to second Josh's decision for the weekend of 30th March to 1st April for the meet itself....

As soon as you guys can fix a date (the sooner the better for me!), I can book the flight then bug you all even more with my excitement at coming over to the big CA! 8) 8)

I'd probably fly out on the 26th/27th March and head back on the 2nd/3rd April.

Adam - if you do have room to house a stray Brit for a few nights I would really appreciate it! (what chocolates does your Mum like?? :lol: ....and my offer of some Metal Monkeys stuff still stands!! :wink: )

Green1, I hope you are able to make it to the meet - or have time to hook up with me in & around Vancouver.....would hate to come all this way and miss out on the opportunity of meeting you! (If I wasn't so busy getting to know the area, I'd drive out to Calgary instead - but I've only got the week there.... :( )

Pete (Pete & Jackie) I'm planning on making it over to the Island sometime during the week - so get the beers chilled, warn the neighbours and watch out 'cause I'll be heading your way! :D :D (might even have to steal a space on the couch for one night if the kids & Jackie don't mind?? :lol: :wink: )

Rock on Canada's first Deli meet!

Regards,

Bruce.
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

biozach

Post by biozach »

Early Spring works but the weather will be a factor. Going through Harrison Hot Springs to Pemberton might be the ticket to take the edge off, if you guys are thinking to camp. My peeps (wife and 2yr old) like a little comfort 8)
ccautos
Vehicle: 92 Delica SE

Coming to Canada

Post by ccautos »

Hey Bruce , what do you do for a living ??? I run a workshop and we are always looking for mechanics . I am from Leicester originally , lived in Jasper AB , for the nine years and then down to Vancouver Island the last two . I have already sponsered one brit over as a mechanic and it seems that this country is getting short of good ones !!!!
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

I'm afraid that's not going to work for me... :( I will be heading back to Calgary on or about the 27th... but I'm sure I'll get to a meet at some point (there WILL be more!)

Bruce: I may be able to meet up with you for a cuppa on the 26th or 27th after you get in (though I bet you'll be jet lagged) but I have to be in Calgary by 10am on the 28th... so it'll depend wether I fly or drive as to when I have to leave Vancouver (I sometimes drive, sometimes fly, if I drive I have to allow a FULL day to get home so would leave early the morning of the 27th)
39Ronin
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz Gelandewagen 300GD

Post by 39Ronin »

Hey Mystery Machine,

I can put you up at my place in Squamish as my wife and daughter will be in Japan until April 10th. I have a spare bedroom, bathroom and the best part I may even have a spare Delica for you. It won't rival the Mystery Machine but at least its a Deli. Can't promise the Delica but I'll see what I can do.
Adrock

Post by Adrock »

any time before the 15th works for me. It is certainly not necessary to give me metal monkeys stuff, but really how could I say no if you insisted. I am impressed with what you have put together and it would only make my baby that much cooler. My mum would probably enjoy your company as much as I would, and absolutely loves a good cup of tea, i'm sure you could teach us a thing or two. She is a high school librarian now, but was teaching for over 30 years before that all over BC. Including a program she ran, which helped kids that needed a little more than the standard class structure due to issues with family and many other things. As I read in your other post you would like to teach but the administration was getting in the way. Well, the program she taught was a little more work than some other teaching jobs but it meant working with kids individually and really helping them make it through some tough times at school and at home. She found it extremely rewarding, although it was a touch exhausting at times. There are many many different jobs in our public schools and I'm sure a few of them would suit you perfectly. I have to say my IT teacher could have been a little (ok maybe a lot) better to learn from had he had some people skills and not just technical knowledge.

Anyways, thats kind of beside the point, but what I'm trying to say is it would be great to have you around, and my mom would definitely be someone to talk to about employment in teaching over here.

If we can cement in the last weekend in March I would be very happy. Hopefully i'll have at least tried running on biodiesel or WVO by then.

Hope to hear from everyone soon. Looks like pemberton is the spot too...
docsavage
Vehicle: Deliless...

Post by docsavage »

So lets set a date for the inaugural Delica.ca Meet:

8) Friday March 30 to April 1, 2007 in Pemberton. :lol:

This goes with the poll results. I guess we need a campground with group sites or something to meet at and some trails to play on.

James
Mystery Machine

Re: Coming to Canada

Post by Mystery Machine »

ccautos wrote:Hey Bruce , what do you do for a living ??? I run a workshop and we are always looking for mechanics . I have already sponsered one brit over as a mechanic and it seems that this country is getting short of good ones !!!!
WOW!!! Thanks for the offer! :shock: :D :D

Unfortunately, I'm not a trained mechanic! :( I'm VERY handy with tools and a VERY quick learner with a VERY good sense of what to do and always getting my hands dirty on motors (or messing about with them! See photo HERE :lol: )

If I could find someone to pay me a small wage while they train me - that would be a good start!! I LOVE working on motors... :D 8)
Green1 wrote:I'm afraid that's not going to work for me...
I'm really sorry to hear it! :( As you say - there will always be a next time... :wink:
Green1 wrote:Bruce: I may be able to meet up with you for a cuppa on the 26th or 27th after you get in (though I bet you'll be jet lagged)

Looking at the latest times, it doesn't look like I'll be landing until 5pm on the 27th! :( GUTTED! I was really looking forward to meeting you! :evil: (possibly coming for a fortnight - but 27th looks like the earliest I'd be able to fly out now! :? Sorry about that!
39Ronin wrote:I can put you up at my place in Squamish as my wife and daughter will be in Japan until April 10th. I have a spare bedroom, bathroom and the best part I may even have a spare Delica for you. It won't rival the Mystery Machine but at least its a Deli. Can't promise the Delica but I'll see what I can do.
Hi Ronin,

Many MANY THANKS for your kind offer!! :D :D I might take you up on your offer of a few nights hospitality! :wink: It looks like I'll be over for 2 weeks now. Adrock says he & his Mum (Mom?) can put me up for a bit - but I'd love to travel around a bit and Squamish is very much on my list! If it is really OK - I'd love to stay for a few nights.... 8)

No worries about the Deli - I'll probably be hiring a car anyway....but you never know - to drive a Deli for an Afternoon might be a cool thing to do! Thanks again....
Adrock wrote:....but what I'm trying to say is it would be great to have you around, and my mom would definitely be someone to talk to about employment in teaching over here.
Thanks Adam - looks like I might be taking you (and your Mum/Mom) up on your offer! I'll probably be landing on the 27th and coming with you on the meet 30th March - 1st April. Maybe stay another night after that??

Then head off to stay with Ronin in Squamish for a little bit, then head over to the Island (if anyone there wants to 'tolerate' some British humour for a day or two :twisted: )

Looking to head back on the 10th/11th/12th now depending on how things go.... :wink:
Adrock wrote:If we can cement in the last weekend in March I would be very happy.....looks like pemberton is the spot too...
Sounds good to me! :D
docsavage wrote:So lets set a date for the inaugural Delica.ca Meet:

8) Friday March 30 to April 1, 2007 in Pemberton. :lol:
Looks like I might well be meeting you there then James! :D :D

It was good to talk to you yesterday....might call again next week... :wink:

Regards to all from windy & wet UK,

Bruce.
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

Kuan
Vehicle: 94' L400 SWB

Post by Kuan »

Bruce,

If you make it over to the island I will definately try to meet up with you. Unfortunately, I wont be able to host you as our baby will have just arrived but I could probably take an afternoon out to show you around. But that depends if you come over to the island and also where you get to. The island by the way is about the length of England (w/o Scotland).

Hopefully I will have my leaks sorted by then! :)
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Great idea Adrock, if I can get the time I'll be there. Pemberton would make a great local, nice place to go for a Delica rendezvous. I haven't made it up that far up in over 15 years, it'll bring back some great memories. The drive is fine with me, I don't have to pay for fuel :).

The last weekend in March would be good, I should be off work still, I had cervical fusions surgery recently - my ability to sit at the puter is up to 10 minutes now!

And Bruce if you decide to do the circle route (Vancouver to Vancouver Island returning via the Sunshine Coast), please accept my invitation for a place to stay here in gorgeous Powell River. We have a spare bedroom with a great bed, would love to entertain some Brit humor, give me someone to take out crabbing and fishing, to have someone else over that would actually have a Guinness with me, and you'd feel welcome amongst two other Delica fans (My wife and I - she is the biggest Delica lover, along with old VW vans - and me of course).

Regards,

Kevin

Wow there's 109 members now! I have been out of it for a bit and it doubled in size around here, great - hope to see more then 12 votes for a the Delica meet!
Image Call me BCDelica-less
Adrock

Post by Adrock »

As you have noticed, mom is the correct spelling over here, but I prefer mum anyways. So from now on i'll go with that haha.

Green1 if you do fly out, you are certainly welcome to come over to my place when Bruce gets in. I am 10 minutes from the airport and wouldn't mind dropping you off if you need it. Just a thought, it could work out well.

So, march 30th to April 1st is the date. Pemberton is the place. Anybody with a knowledge of the area have any ideas? I've got a friend with a deli who lives up there, when he's not living in Tofino. I'll try toget him out too.

Bruce, I may have to work on tuesday wednesday or thursday, thing is sometimes I don't know until the day of or at most a day or 2 before. I work in film and it could be a busy time. But that won't really be an issue. The room is yours, the kitchen is yours, and you can have all the free time to explore, with or without me, if you want to be alone or I have to work or whatever is the case. I'd love to show you around, but duty may call, and with taking 2 months off for mexico I can't be denying work in the busy season.

Fact is you'll have a ride home from the airport, you'll have a place to stay, it won't make a difference to meals because we really don't cook at set times or anything. The fridge is yours too to do whatever you like with it. I won't take any work for friday obviously so the worst that can happen is a couple days to explore the city alone.

I am very excited about this whole thing. It is going to be awesome!

Adam.
redmond
Vehicle: 91 Exceed

Post by redmond »

Way to go Adam! March-April Weekend is great and I've always wanted to do the Harrison-Pemberton route. The inside's still apart so I've got to get moving and make it livable - my wife calls driving it "roughing it" right now.

Return to “Events - BC Lower Mainland”