One post wonders

Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

39Ronin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz Gelandewagen 300GD

One post wonders

Post by 39Ronin »

Since this is a community of Delica enthusiasts I think you should contribute to the community, posting info, asking questions ect... For some reason it bothers me the amount of first time posters that post a private vehicle for sale. Other sites I am a member of you would get flammed for it. Some sites have a minimum post rating before you can post in a for sale section. It is in my opinion most of these one hit wonders don't care about Delicas or the Delica community and have just jumped on a bandwagon to try and make a $$. Any others feel the same? Comments please.
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Re: One post wonders

Post by Golf Cart »

I do have to agree on that point. People riding the coat tails of dedicated members here who have invested time, money and a lot of hard work.

On the other hand, what it does do is let our community know that there is another vehicle on the market, but would hate to see is the site becoming a "Buy N Sell" dumping ground.
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

x2

but this is quite a tame community/forum compared to many other's on the net. I don't have any beef with them so far. If it gets out of hand where one post wonders take up a page or two, then it may get a little squishy in here. :M
Adam
Vehicle: RIP WVO '91 Super Exceed

Post by Adam »

In one regard it is nice to see them on the forum where you can ask questions and new users can easily compared prices for past vans versus the amount of prep work they've had done. New users quickly realize by comparing postings that having "All inspections are done" is just the tip of the iceberg in getting these vans properly road ready. I too am very suspicious of new users posting vans for sale, but at least here people have a credible place to get questions answered.
The Pinkfingers
Vehicle: '94 Exceed

Post by The Pinkfingers »

I would hope the community doesn't resort to flaming one hit wonders. Delete the spam, but delicas for sale attract potential delica buyers, who are also potential forum participants. This forum contributed to our decision to buy a delica. If I we saw people getting flamed when they posted, it wouldn't have changed our mind to buy, but we would be scared to meet other deli owners. :shock:

Besides, when there's a great thing - such as this forum - it always attracts hangers-on and people who ride the coat tails of those who put in the hard work before them. They are the remoras of the jdm world. But they don't have to detract from our enjoyment of the community, especially when they are simply posting a delica for sale in the proper section.

I don't know about you, but even though I own one and am not looking to buy another, I almost always look at the posts to see the delica and the price. But as always, buyer beware, especially when you don't know the one hit wonder seller.

All that being said, I think it's fine to have certain sections where you have to be a member for a certain amount of time or have a minimum number of posts in order to post. The dealer feedback thread has those guidelines. I'm not sure, though, that I'd make private sales one of those sections, unless it got way out of hand.

With all the more delicas coming in, I think we should expect more and more delicas being sold by private owners.

My 2 cents.
konadog
Vehicle: 1992 GLX L-300

Post by konadog »

I'm with The Pinkfingers - I always look at the sales posts out of interest, they are delicas, after all. Kinda like the classifieds adds. I'm not really bothered that people one-time post and do it to sell a bus, though I sure would like to see more people post more often about more things. LOTS of really cool mods and adventures are happening out there that never get posted. I know indirectly of one WVO converted delica that that has gone from one end of Canada to the other and back - Vancouver Island to the Maritimes - TWICE, with it's musician owners, bumming oil at bars and restaurants, and playing gigs along the way. Wish they would post about it, at least a little bit. Or those that appear in a time of distress, get all kinds of advice and offers of hands-on help, then disappear. I still wonder about the guy whose bus crapped out in the middle of the night in the middle of Mexico. Maybe he's still there :?
I sure do appreciate the positive energy of those that do contribute. Very much a reflection of the personality and vibe that is so attractive about the delicas themselves. Really enhances the pleasure of owning one, so thanks everyone! (Even you one-time posters, (sorry 39Ronin :?) though I would encourage you to post more often!!) :M :-D
Happy Day!
jrman
Vehicle: 1991 MMC Delica Exceed - Scoobus

One post wonders

Post by jrman »

I agree with Jesse about the forum is overall a kinder / friendlier forum compared to others I've used and perused. I'm sure some of the bigger forums must have their reasons for attempting to control the amount and type of posts from certain users - eg, forcing them to develop a minimum knowledge base before posting. I think in more technical forums it helps avoid "grenades" that may diminish the usefulness of the forum relative to its original intent.

I'm not sure that applies here though - most people on this forum tend to simply enjoy sharing their experiences with others while others enjoy sharing more technical information. I enjoy it all and appreciate it all, including the advertisements up to now.

Death to spam - but everything else seems good so far to me....
Cheers,
Sean
Sean in North Van
1991 Delica Exceed - Scoobus
Delicanadabc
Vehicle: Super exceed 91

Post by Delicanadabc »

I kind of miss the dude that was only posting adds trying to sell runners... Not. I wonder if he might have bought a Delica by now.
Golf Cart
Vehicle: 1992 Exceed

Post by Golf Cart »

Delicanadabc wrote:I kind of miss the dude that was only posting adds trying to sell runners... Not. I wonder if he might have bought a Delica by now.
He runned out and bought a Delica :-D
By the time you realize that my signature has no real message or life altering words of wisdom, you're too far into it to stop reading until you are finished

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”