Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos
Vehicle: 1994 L400

Outbound Links and rel="nofollow" Tags

Post by mark »

With the growth of this website (currently 1000ish visits per day), I’ve noticed an increase in spam appearing in the forums. As a measure to prevent content spam on this website (discount IPods, running shoes, etc), I’ve modified the forum links to include “nofollow” tags as the default (see Official Google Blog for technical implications).

This alteration is intended to avoid the promotion “bad neighbourhood” domains which sometimes sneak their way onto this board.

This change has no noticeable impact for most users, but may be of some concern to other webmasters. I’m mindful that some delica.ca contributors also have websites of their own (e.g., dealers, other Delica forums, etc), and would like to ensure that such sites continue to receive “link juice” from this forum. To address this, I’ve removed the “nofollow” from all domains listed on the Delica Links page who link back to delica.ca.

By limiting outbound links of the “follow” type, this should benefit our link partners, and ensure that “spam-bot” posts do not receive any benefit. Webmasters who do wish to exclude the “nofollow” tag from their posts can exchange links from the Delica Links page.

Hopefully this tweak works for everybody (spam-bots excluded)! :-D

Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”