A New Technical Section.

Report a bug, or request a feature...

Moderator: mark

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5960
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

A New Technical Section.

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 pm

As suggested by Jwfchase, Naderade & Lazy Green Fox, respectively ~ a "how to" dedicated category forum has been on the table with the Moderators. We have been conceiving and deliberating such a facility for "Delica Canada Technical". This is what we have come up with thus far and would like to run it past the membership ~ tell us what you think.

Ultimately it would replace FAQ And Downloads, as far as content at least. On the Board Index you would see the main title, for now we call it FAQ And Downloads. Once in, you would have a choice: L300; L400. In either of those forums you would find:

    Shop Manuals.
    Fuel & Additives.
    Fuel Delivery.
    Intake & Exhaust Manifolds.
    Oil.
    A/C & Heating.
    Suspension.
    Cooling.
    Body Electric.
    Engine Electric.
    Brakes.
    Front Axle.
    Rear Axle.
    Drive Train.
    The Engine.
    Body General.
    Accessories & Ideas.
    Proposed Thread Forum.

The premise of this would be scouring L300 & L400 Technical forums for good comprehensive threads and then move them into the appropriate FAQ And Download forum for convenient archiving and easy access. Every thread in these forums would be locked with the exception of "Proposed Thread Forum" in which members could propose a thread for a forum and a discussion would ensue deliberating whether or not it should go in. Also, we are not 100% sure we can have 18 sub-sub-forums in the platform we are working with ~ so this is still somewhat "ground floor" ~ bare that in mind as you think about this.

The floor is open, discussion...

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

User avatar
FredVenne
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300 Exceed Pop-Top, Pajero Exceed
Location: Quirpon, NL
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby FredVenne » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm

I think it's a good idea. If it could be setup so that you make your search with "How to ... ". Or just have a whole list of How to's that would be alphabetical instead of sorted by time. So anyone thta is working on something and add photos, should name there thread beginning with "How to". I don't know... maybe I'm totally off here hehehe...

Good night
Why driving on well traveled route when you can beat your own path...
-The Mighty Yeti

Fun Long Road Trip on road, dirt and ice - Delica L300 Pop-Top Camper
Fun playing around in the mud and work horse - Pajero GDI 3.5L 6cyl LWB
Best vehicle in all conditions - Subary Impreza WRX

User avatar
CVI
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:01 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://cviauto.com
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Space Gear Royal Exceed
Location: Richmond, BC
Contact:

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby CVI » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey!

Splendid Falco!! That will work! A "how to" or "DIY" section can consolidate all similar issues and cut down redundancy. It'll make it even easier for us to respond to certain issues which can help our community :-D
CVI Automotive
JDM & Imported Vehicles Specialist
104-2353 Peardonville Road Abbotsford BC V2T 6J7
Phone: 604.710.7000 email: ati@atigroup.com.ph
Web: cviauto.com

psilosin
Posts: 1044
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400
Location: BC

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby psilosin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:34 am

Sounds good. One question though: Will the original topic poster still have control over the post once it has been moved and locked? For example to edit/remove/update content and/or pictures. Or is ownership lost?

User avatar
jessef
Posts: 6451
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 pm
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month
Location: Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby jessef » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:28 pm

There was a discussion a while ago and the consensus was that a DIY and Modifications section would be worthwhile to filter those useful and interesting threads into one area. That is one area that I would like to see implemented. I'll try to dig up that thread.

The sub sections are bountiful. You'll get different opinions for certain. A poll may be put to good use.

I would like to see it narrowed down to something like this :


Shop Manuals.
Fuel & Additives (add Fuel Delivery and Oil)
A/C & Heating (add Cooling)
Suspension. (add brakes and axles)
Body Electric. (add engine electrical)
Drive Train.
The Engine. (add Intake & Exhaust Manifolds)
Body General.
Accessories & Ideas.
Proposed Thread Forum.

That's down to 10 manageable sub forums.

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5960
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 am

psilosin wrote:Sounds good. One question though: Will the original topic poster still have control over the post once it has been moved and locked? For example to edit/remove/update content and/or pictures. Or is ownership lost?

The original posters' names would still be on it but due to the style of software he/she would not be able to edit it at will, however ~ why would they? We are talking about conclusive threads that are true. The reason the forum is locked off is because we don't want specious or orphaned query postings. The idea is a sort of wiki reference where proposed threads are discussed in the Proposed Thread Forum and once they are deliberated upon they are potentially placed in the appropriate locked forum for posterity, to which one can courteously direct a noobe when they ask if they are missing a hose, for instance.

I like the idea of a pole for the deliberating process I think that would be very beneficial to the Proposed Thread Forum.

The idea behind the eighteen subsections is reflected from the shop manual. When you think about it ~ "Intake & Exhaust" covers a wide variety of topics, I'm not sure I would want to mix it in with the Engine, which is a sizeable subject in itself. I could see the Engine with Engine Electrical, Body Electrical is a big subject on it's own. I would also think that the axles, especially the front one, are a sizeable concern, as well.

Perhaps something like this:

  • Shop Manuals
  • Fuel Delivery, Fuel & Additives
  • A/C & Heating
  • Cooling & Oil
  • The Engine & Engine Electrical
  • Drive Train
  • Front & Rear Axles
  • Suspension & Brakes (& Tyres?)
  • Body Electric
  • Body General
  • Accessories & Ideas
  • Proposed Thread Forum

There, an even dozen.

Don't forget that there is in excess of ten thousand threads in Delica Canada, in L300 Technical alone there are currently 1657 topics. That's a lot of wading. Also, I'll bet one could create an ongoing forum dedicated to fuel and additives, I've seen it in other forums.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

User avatar
thedjjack
Posts: 2025
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/forum/ucp.php?i=164
Vehicle: 1989 L300 HITOP!!
Location: Port McNeill
Location: Port McNeill
Contact:

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby thedjjack » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:24 am

FalcoColumbarius wrote:The original posters' names would still be on it but due to the style of software he/she would not be able to edit it at will, however ~ why would they? We are talking about conclusive threads that are true. The reason the forum is locked off is because we don't want specious or orphaned query postings. The idea is a sort of wiki reference where proposed threads are discussed in the Proposed Thread Forum and once they are deliberated upon they are potentially placed in the appropriate locked forum for posterity, to which one can courteously direct a noobe when they ask if they are missing a hose, for instance.[/color]


Not sure why you ask if you do what ever you want anyhow...

But the problem if the original poster cannot edit the post is they do some great mod and drive around for 3 months and than find out that the mode doubled the exhaust temperature and they totalled their motor.

Vehicle modifications are like science their are no truths only the pursuit of truth. I just spent the weekend re-designing a bunch of modifications that I would have thought were Conclusive when I made them. A web form discussion does not equal peer reviewed as most members think all mods look great and most unlikely have done or will do the modification.

Or they forgot a key step like putting engine oil back in...Or adding 3 cargo boxes on the roof was not as good of an idea as they originally thought and all the form members thought looked great.

Or the OP did the mod for someone else and the parts are no longer being made and needed changed suppliers.

Sure they could ask a Moderator to fix it, but does the site have any anymore?

Edit:

Who will decide what modifications should be locked (I will argue that the current active moderators do not have the knowledge base to decided this (no offence intended)). Example their are lots of variations on installing a Pyro. A better thread for that would be an article written that includes the various variations with links to those modifications. Oil by-pass, WVO, intercooler, camper, etc are all examples of this.

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5960
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:53 am

thedjjack wrote:Not sure why you ask if you do what ever you want anyhow...

Well, let's take a look at the facts: Prior to your post ~ Delica Canada is petitioned to create a new system of retrieval for technical data by three different members; it is brought up and discussed in the Moderator's Forum; it is then published in the Site Suggestion Forum (next to the original petition); there have been three responses promoting the idea (one from an accepted authority on mechanics); one query, which has been answered; two suggestions, that are in the process of being discussed. The only thing that I have done in this is answer the request, some arrangement based on original request and promulgating the request.
thedjjack wrote:But the problem if the original poster cannot edit the post is they do some great mod and drive around for 3 months and than find out that the mode doubled the exhaust temperature and they totalled their motor.
This is a potential issue. This is why the forums are locked off, thus avoiding specious or orphaned query postings. Not every thread is going to make it into these forums.
thedjjack wrote:Vehicle modifications are like science their are no truths only the pursuit of truth. I just spent the weekend re-designing a bunch of modifications that I would have thought were Conclusive when I made them. A web form discussion does not equal peer reviewed as most members think all mods look great and most unlikely have done or will do the modification.
thedjjack wrote:Or they forgot a key step like putting engine oil back in...Or adding 3 cargo boxes on the roof was not as good of an idea as they originally thought and all the form members thought looked great.
Modifications go into one of the forums (Accessories & Ideas). Perhaps we should make a disclaimer, although the club being an amateur society should be notice in itself when you think about it. Updating a thread is possible ~ just not sure if the OP can do it by themselves in a locked forum, I will look into that. Either way, the OP can make adjustments, just has to contact the administration. As far as peers go ~ the peers in this club range from diesel mechanics, amateurs, novices and clueless. I suspect the discussion will unfold as it has always done in this club, primarily between the amateurs and the mechanics.
thedjjack wrote:Or the OP did the mod for someone else and the parts are no longer being made and needed changed suppliers.
This would be subject to discussion in the Proposed Thread Forum.
thedjjack wrote:Who will decide what modifications should be locked (I will argue that the current active moderators do not have the knowledge base to decided this (no offence intended)). Example their are lots of variations on installing a Pyro. A better thread for that would be an article written that includes the various variations with links to those modifications. Oil by-pass, WVO, intercooler, camper, etc are all examples of this.
Smiles... well, it's a good thing that we have you, Thedjjack! This is what the Proposed Thread Forum is for. I would like to clarify ~ the thread itself is not locked, it is the forum that is locked. I will check into the parameters of a locked forum.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

User avatar
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Posts: 5960
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)
Location: North Van, BC, eh?

Re: A New Technical Section.

Postby FalcoColumbarius » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Okay, I've done a view tests with Psilosin and yes ~ the thread is locked off in a locked forum. So ~ should an OP on the off chance decide to modify or edit his/her post, they will have to notify the board.

Are there any more comments or queries before we take it to the next stage?

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb


Return to “Site Suggestions & General Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests