Kimberley's newest old Ride

Driving a shiny 91 Delica Super Exceed? This is the section to show and tell!
knight
Vehicle: P35W

Kimberley's newest old Ride

Post by knight »

Here are some phots of my new ride. I took them just outside Hope on my way back from picking her up in Campbell River. Things I learned on the trip. Duke point and Departure Bay are to far to walk bewtween. Hitchhiking is illegal on the island. Islanders are nice. ICBC sucks, and so do canada's major banks. Credit card companies really watch how you are spending. Diesel is hard to find in North Van, espically if you dont know where you are in North Van. The stock bulbs in compliant headlights are brutal. Trains nail the air horn everytime they enter Hope. If you want any explinations for these statements let me know and I can elaborate.

My plan was after picking the Deli up to drive as far as a could then sleep in the van, get up early and keep going. I was planning to make it a little further than hope but as I entered hope I was pulled over by an RCMP officer. No it wasnt for speeding he pulled me over because of "grossly inadequate headlights" He wasnt going to give me a ticket if I pulled over for the night. Nice guy. I do agree with him, those stock bulbs are dangerous on a highway. So as soon as the sun came up I broke camp and started heading home.

I stopped to refuel every 400ish KM's not sure how far I can go on tank yet, and didnt want to risk it. That meant Kamloops and Golden.

About the van. Its a 92 super exeed white with sunroof crystal lite roof (all shades working) Cold weather package, alloys etc. Upgraded stero that works on Canadian CD's just not radio. LoL
I would rather wear out then rust away.
jymz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

Re: Kimberley's newest old Ride

Post by jymz »

I totally understand your first paragraph and people must wonder about the migration route of the Delica. I just took the same route back a couple weeks ago. In a week youll wake up and realize you actually own one. Its a nice feeling.
jrman
Vehicle: 1991 MMC Delica Exceed - Scoobus

Post by jrman »

Not sure if this will be any help to anyone in the future - but just in case - Diesel in Nvan can be found at Mohawk at 4rd and Forbes Ave - and at Petrocanada on Main & Mountain just prior to the 2nd Narrows bridge. I'm sure there are others - but that is where I fill up.
Hope that helps anyone Dely-ing through my neck of the woods!!!
Happy driving new Kimber-Deli!
Sean in North Van
1991 Delica Exceed - Scoobus
jrman

Post by jrman »

Ooops...3rd and Forbes Mohawk!
Sean in North Van
coaxial

Post by coaxial »

jrman wrote:Ooops...3rd and Forbes Mohawk!
Indeed I don't want people showing up at my place for diesel, as forbes & 4rd = my place

On marine drive on the way to the lionsgate there is also a shell with diesel and "ultra" diesel, and petro (I think) at marine & capilano with diesel.

knight, that is a great looking van! how did the rest of the trip go? is that first paragraph things learned from hitchhikers? I don't get it :-(
kb&2dogs
Vehicle: 89 BushBunny

Post by kb&2dogs »

Just for clarification on the hitch-hiking comment, you can't hitch-hike on the Parkway between Nanaimo and Campbell River (the fast route) - there are tons of signs that tell us so, but you can on the highway south of Nanaimo or north of Campbell River. If you want to get there from here, you can hitchhike on the "old" highway, but I don't know how much traffic there would be as I never go that way. I have seen folks 'hiking on the parkway, but I think you can get busted if you get caught. I think the reason is probalby because the speed limit for most of that route is 110, and it wouldn't be very safe to have people stopping randomly to pick up hitch-hikers. Also, if your headed for Port Alberni or points west, you can hitch on #4.
kb&2dogs (one here and one in doggy heaven)
(formerly Kathy Brian Seiko & Tundra)
sean
Vehicle: WVO '91 Super Exceed

Post by sean »

Nice looking van. Delicas are the only vehicle I like in white. Sounds like you had some good stories to take home.
I have hitch-hiked that route between Port Alberni turnoff and Courtenay many times and have never been bothered by police going by. I would always be at an entry ramp and highway so nobody is going 110km. I would have fought it tooth and nail if I was actually charged. How can you make ride sharing illegal?
The funny thing is they seem to target the driver with those signs. They actually do not say hitchhiking is illegal. It say "Pickup is illegal" They probably think they will have a better chance nailing people who are driving and can give them some sort of moving violation. Nowadays I rarely hitch but do give back to the karma pool by picking up hitch hikers, even if the signs telling me not to loom overhead.
Sean
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set,I go into the other room and read a book."
Groucho Marx
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

The 'targeting the driver' comment is correct. The thinking against picking up hitchhikers is that you might impede traffic or create a dangerous impact on traffic in-and-around turnpikes, turn-offs, access ramps, etc. That is why it is illegal. That's also why those signs are near access points to the highway and not on the empty open stretches.

It's a similar line of thinking as prostitution: it's not illegal to have sex with a stranger, it's just illegal to pay for it. Which reminds me of an interesting observation by the comedian George Carlin: "Why is it illegal to pay for something that is perfectly legal to give away for free?"
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

it's not illegal to have sex with a stranger, it's just illegal to pay for it.
Of course once you know the person, paying for sex is simply called a "relationship" (or even "marriage") and is perfectly legal again...
jrman

Post by jrman »

Quote:
it's not illegal to have sex with a stranger, it's just illegal to pay for it.

Actually....true that it's not illegal to have sex with a stranger, and in fact it's not even illegal to pay for sex with a stranger.
My understanding is it's illegal to "Solicit" or sell sex for money. Ie, the illegal part is the act of offering a price for sex.

Personally I could care less whether it's legal or not, but this is just another example of the bizarre hypocrisy of our world no matter where you stand on the subject.

So to put a Deli spin back on this thread...my Mother is still convinced (by the still resident curtains in my van) that the only person in Japan who would buy a deli would be as a portable sin-bin, shaggin wagon, wheeled house of ill repute, etc etc - I'm not too sure that she's wrong, but I don't really care too much. Keep the rubber side down...er, On????
Sean in North Van
mararmeisto
Vehicle: 2018 Ram EcoDiesel

Post by mararmeisto »

Well, there must have been two sinners in Japan because the Moon Machine came with a full set of "sin-screens". We gave them a quick wash and put them right back in place - never know when we might need them. :o
JPL
I still miss my '94 Pajero!
Adrock

Post by Adrock »

So are you in kimberley then? Did you see me there all summer? And 2 months last winter? Living up on Norton ave, at the taxi house, (Tara Boudreau is my cousin) If you're born and raised you will have come across my family i'm sure, If you are a transplant you will have at least seen them driving the taxis around.
"if its so hard to pull on your knob, put some greese/wd40 on the shaft and pull in and out, that should make it happen for you."
-westcoastnewbie

Return to “Member Rides”