Searching searching searching....

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
kamifish
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: l400

Post by kamifish »

I have been interested in getting a Delica for a while and am now ready to make the move. I've done a ton of research and have a good idea of what I want (L400 24 valve V6). Still can't entirely decide between swb or lwb, but I think I'll know when I see it.

I live in the interior of BC and know there are a lot of good Delica dealers not far from me. I have also been thinking about importing from auction using Pacific Coast Imports. I'm just not sure that at the end of the day, I am saving any money. I'm thinking of an auction rating of at least 4. Does anybody have some perspective on this? It seems that after fees, the price is still up there. I recognize this depends on the price of the vehicle itself, but if anybody can tell give me a general idea of what it costs these days to bring a Delica over and have the work done to make it BC legal, that would be much appreciated.

James
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Post by BCDelica »

Hi James,

I'll offer up my recent experiences.

Recently Canadian inspections are more regulated, your vehicle inspection office will have to document and submit pictures of all the lights on your self imported Delica. If something isn't E code this may prove difficult, and require some custom modification within the 30 days of the initial inspection. Besides that it is best to make sure that all mechanically is sound with the vehicle because it is common that a low millage Delica will have been sitting for many years.

There are many brokers, I haven't heard of Pacific coast, but most auction brokers will give you not only a translation of the vehicles auction sheet but will be willing to met conditions regarding any bid you make. For example, I am looking for a KEI 4x4 mini truck right now, and at their advice I state "Please proceed to bid IF this truck has Diff Lock". This way they will only bid if the vehicle meets my requirements.

My advice is don't get caught up in the ext and int ratings if you intend to use the Delica for backroad adventures, that is unless the vehicles is going to be a collector vehicle. In the past I have brought in vehicles with low mileage, but had to deal with age related issues on a 16 year old vehicle with 30,000 kms.
Attachments
This is a Nissan Figaro I brought in last year, a 3.5 with some rust according to the translation.
This is a Nissan Figaro I brought in last year, a 3.5 with some rust according to the translation.
20200212_151822.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Surf brought in this year, it was only a 3. I had bid on many examples with 40,000 to 70,000 km's that sold for 400,000 Yen or more, this one with current Shaken and 140,000 km's you have to look hard to find some rust underneath. I bought it for 112,000 Yen at auction, which was a surprise.
Surf brought in this year, it was only a 3. I had bid on many examples with 40,000 to 70,000 km's that sold for 400,000 Yen or more, this one with current Shaken and 140,000 km's you have to look hard to find some rust underneath. I bought it for 112,000 Yen at auction, which was a surprise.
20200123_100215.jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
Image Call me BCDelica-less
Ralph in Winnipeg
Vehicle: 94 Strada

Post by Ralph in Winnipeg »

I doubt you'll save money bringing a Delica in yourself. I just brought in a Nissan D21 four door pick up through Pacific Coast JDM. A rough idea of shipping costs: brokerage $1500, shipping $2000, port fees $1000. I had Fraser Valley Imports pick it up and store the truck $200, then I flew to Vancouver and drove it back. Costs to get the vehicle ready for a safety will depend on what it requires and your mechanical abilities. To me these costs only make sense (and maybe only make sense to me) because there are no trucks like this locally and this truck had super low mileage 7000km.

10k will probably not get you a minty, low km delica from Japan.

10k will be plenty to buy something locally.

Ralph in Winnipeg
kamifish

Post by kamifish »

BCDelica wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 am Hi James,

I'll offer up my recent experiences.

Recently Canadian inspections are more regulated, your vehicle inspection office will have to document and submit pictures of all the lights on your self imported Delica. If something isn't E code this may prove difficult, and require some custom modification within the 30 days of the initial inspection. Besides that it is best to make sure that all mechanically is sound with the vehicle because it is common that a low millage Delica will have been sitting for many years.

There are many brokers, I haven't heard of Pacific coast, but most auction brokers will give you not only a translation of the vehicles auction sheet but will be willing to met conditions regarding any bid you make. For example, I am looking for a KEI 4x4 mini truck right now, and at their advice I state "Please proceed to bid IF this truck has Diff Lock". This way they will only bid if the vehicle meets my requirements.

My advice is don't get caught up in the ext and int ratings if you intend to use the Delica for backroad adventures, that is unless the vehicles is going to be a collector vehicle. In the past I have brought in vehicles with low mileage, but had to deal with age related issues on a 16 year old vehicle with 30,000 kms.
Hi there,

Not sure this is how to respond, but anyway, thanks for your input. I've watched a lot of video reviews by different importers of cars and, ya, it looks like the ratings kind of depend on what you're willing to live with.

Thanks again.
kamifish

Post by kamifish »

Ralph in Winnipeg wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:46 am I doubt you'll save money bringing a Delica in yourself. I just brought in a Nissan D21 four door pick up through Pacific Coast JDM. A rough idea of shipping costs: brokerage $1500, shipping $2000, port fees $1000. I had Fraser Valley Imports pick it up and store the truck $200, then I flew to Vancouver and drove it back. Costs to get the vehicle ready for a safety will depend on what it requires and your mechanical abilities. To me these costs only make sense (and maybe only make sense to me) because there are no trucks like this locally and this truck had super low mileage 7000km.

10k will probably not get you a minty, low km delica from Japan.

10k will be plenty to buy something locally.

Ralph in Winnipeg
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was going to use Fraser Valley Imports as well. Luckily, I live in the Interior of BC, so won't have far to go to get it. From what I've researched, unless I get lucky or go for something with higher kilometres, importing a Delica won't really save me much, if anything. One of the benefits, however, would be choice. There is really not a lot to choose from in BC. Now that I realize what the costs involved are, I'm suspicious of how much the dealer's are selling them for here. Selling a van with 120,00 or less on it for 10k only makes sense if it was bought for cheap. I would have to see the auction papers before buying from a dealer. That would be a different forum thread on its own.

Thanks again.
Ralph in Winnipeg
Vehicle: 94 Strada

Post by Ralph in Winnipeg »

Yes, I've often wondered how dealers are getting these vehicles in and selling them and where the profit comes from. A few thoughts: I need a broker, a dealer may not so there is an immediate saving right there. I'm importing one vehicle - it has to be "the one" ( auction grade 4, minty, needs nothing, low kms). A dealer can buy 20 and if there is a lemon or 2 in the bunch, he can weather that cost. His mechanics can work on it in their down time, scavenge parts off some of his parts vehicles or whatever. Eventually he'll flog it off and if he breaks even no worries. Dealers probably get a deal on shipping and customs and brokerage - again 20 vehicles vs one there has to be some savings. The one advantage besides choice in importing yourself is no rust (if you choose a grade 4). I have been almost giddy loosening bolts on a 20 year old vehicle without a 4' breaker bar or a torch or a torch and penetrant and a 4' bar..... So nice to work on!

Ralph in Winnipeg

Return to “Member Introductions”