New L300 (87') Delica owner in Seattle!

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
TheMunkyHouse
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300 Exceed

Post by TheMunkyHouse »

delica.jpg
delica.jpg (660.83 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
Long story short, my girlfriend and I had been looking for an adventure van for some time. Seriously considered all the options and had settled on finding a "shorty-tall" T1N Sprinter (The super-high roof 118in wheelbase). But those proved HARD to find in good condition and we'd always harbored a desire for a Delica, which we've seen on trips to BC. So, a guy on eBay was selling a good-looking 1987 L300 and we won! We found a van even more rare than the Sprinter!

We're cleaning it out now, and working on 1.) Finding a mechanic (suggestions?) 2.) Getting used to being on the wrong side of the van (suggestions?) 3.) Planning out our mods (suggestions?)

BTW: For those in Washington, our Delica had already been imported by a dealer and titled in Minnesota, so the process to title and license in WA was pretty easy. Only hiccup was insurance, which required a change from my small mutual company to Progressive. I'm guessing the smaller co just couldn't justify the risk of "grey market" vehicles, but the bigger guys like Progressive can absorb the cost.
Morgonzo
Vehicle: L300

Post by Morgonzo »

Hello MunkeyHouse! Congrats on a sweet van :-) It's almost identical to my '88. Auto or standard? You're in a better spot of the country to find a mechanic than a lot of us in the States, I can't name any off the top of my head but I'm sure someone knows of at least one. I feel though, that the best option is to try and become your own mechanic. That way the mechanic always travels with the van 8-). As far as getting used to the RHD, seat time is the only thing that made me comfortable with it. The worst bit of the RHD Delica is the blind spot on the left side of the van due to a wide B pillar and your passengers head. It defiantly requires triple checking :shock:
Cheers,
M
The "Zanimo Wagon" 1988 Mitsu Delica L300 StarWagon P25W 5spd :M
"Zowie Zow!" :-D
TheMunkyHouse
Vehicle: L300 Exceed

Post by TheMunkyHouse »

Morgonzo wrote:Hello MunkeyHouse! Congrats on a sweet van :-) It's almost identical to my '88. Auto or standard? You're in a better spot of the country to find a mechanic than a lot of us in the States, I can't name any off the top of my head but I'm sure someone knows of at least one. I feel though, that the best option is to try and become your own mechanic. That way the mechanic always travels with the van 8-). As far as getting used to the RHD, seat time is the only thing that made me comfortable with it. The worst bit of the RHD Delica is the blind spot on the left side of the van due to a wide B pillar and your passengers head. It defiantly requires triple checking :shock:
Cheers,
M
Thanks for the advice. Doing a lot of research and downloading service manuals to start the process. It's my first diesel, too, so some learning there. That blind spot really is big, you're right. Even making a right into traffic requires a good peer around the passenger. Ours is the manual, btw. Also takes some getting used to shifting with the left hand!
YogaSlackerSam
Vehicle: Delica exceed

Post by YogaSlackerSam »

We just bought an 88 manual how are you liking yours?

Sam
www.peacelovecar.com

Return to “Member Introductions”