Hello from Florida

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
BalzOnYer4Head
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 91 Delica Exceed

Hello from Florida

Post by BalzOnYer4Head »

Well I needed something that can haul a bunch of crap, be able to go anywhere whilst doing it, sleep in it if I have to, and get decent gas mileage. I remembered these "little" vans from when I spent some time overseas while in the Corps.

I knew about the 25 year import rule, so I started looking. Found some folks in Philly who specialize in importing Delica's. They find clean low mileage (for Delica's) examples, go through them, replace anything that is broken, and slap some fresh rubber on them. I thought that was a much better bet than crossing my fingers and hoping the buyer in Japan didn't screw me.

So after some phone calls, enlisting a faithful friends help as back up and driving relief , a few plane tickets, a few hours of sleep in a hotel, a trip to the garage they are sold out of, lots of coffee and beef jerky, 19.5 hours and a little under a thousand mile road trip...

Here she is..
Delica1resized.jpg
Delica1resized.jpg (447.7 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Delica2Resized.jpg
Delica2Resized.jpg (290.94 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Delica3Resized.jpg
Delica3Resized.jpg (279.88 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Delica4resized.jpg
Delica4resized.jpg (299.85 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Delica5 (2).jpg
Delica5 (2).jpg (314.81 KiB) Viewed 4071 times

As you can see I have filled the void for the front plate bracket :-D, charged the AC with some RedTek (thanks to this forum), fixed the horn, had it professionally detailed (carpets shampooed, paint massaged, and the lot) and am currently getting 20MPG on my daily commute.

EGR Delete is the first mechanical upgrade on the list.

I love driving this contraption. I look forward to testing its 4X4 capability, and taking it on my first prospecting trip with it.
I have only been stopped or waved at this much whilst driving a vehicle when I owned my Mk2 Jetta, but this blows it away. Almost anytime I park it, people are asking me about it.

I also want to thank you all for some great advise that is easily searchable on this forum. I have used many of the great tips already to resolve some little things. Like when I was changing the front dome light to a LED, I accidentally popped the old bulb back into the body of the van, and when trying to retrieve it with a METAL magnetic thingy, I connected the two contacts got a nice spark, and knew I blew the fuse. The technical forum saved the day on that and made finding the fuse simple on my Japanese printed fuse box.

PS: I get this message

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

when I post images from photobucket and using the correct [img] protocol.
Last edited by BalzOnYer4Head on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killbert
Vehicle: 91 Delica Chamonix

Hello from Florida

Post by Killbert »

Beautiful van! Congratulations are in order! I'm in Fort Myers and I'd be happy to help with any technical stuff that goes awry. Furthermore, if you want an off road pal just give me a shout!

I get the same message when copying IMG links. I think the forum software is old and needs to be updated to accommodate us millennials...

Kellyn

Just post up in the USA forum so we can add you to the roster of US owners!
http://www.delicaforum.com/index.php
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Hello from Florida

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Love the plate! Looks like someone watches Mighty Car Mods :-)

BalzOnYer4Head wrote: PS: I get this message

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

Maximum image size is 960 px wide by 900 px tall. Are you making it small enough?

The most reliable way is to resize your image then upload it here using the "Attachments" tab, once it's uploaded select "place inline" if you want it in a particular place in your post, otherwise it'll just show up at the bottom of your text.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
BalzOnYer4Head
Vehicle: 91 Delica Exceed

Hello from Florida

Post by BalzOnYer4Head »

Killbert wrote:Beautiful van! Congratulations are in order! I'm in Fort Myers and I'd be happy to help with any technical stuff that goes awry. Furthermore, if you want an off road pal just give me a shout!

I get the same message when copying IMG links. I think the forum software is old and needs to be updated to accommodate us millennials...

Kellyn

Just post up in the USA forum so we can add you to the roster of US owners!
http://www.delicaforum.com/index.php
Thank you for the offers of tech advice and 4 wheelin, I definitely want to get it on the trails and just test out the 4wd see how capable it is without breaking it.
Growlerbearnz wrote:Love the plate! Looks like someone watches Mighty Car Mods :-)

BalzOnYer4Head wrote: PS: I get this message

Maximum image size is 960 px wide by 900 px tall. Are you making it small enough?

The most reliable way is to resize your image then upload it here using the "Attachments" tab, once it's uploaded select "place inline" if you want it in a particular place in your post, otherwise it'll just show up at the bottom of your text.
Thank you sir for the advice, have made the adjustments and updated the post. Although I won't be "Chopping" anyone in this van, I am a fan of Moog and Marty, and just thought I would have a little fun with the JDM crowd.

Return to “Member Introductions”