About to buy 1993

New to Delica Canada? Please introduce yourself and your van!
Kalin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1993 Delica L300

About to buy 1993

Post by Kalin »

Hey, I don't actually own a Delica.. Yet. I'm about to buy one in Calgary, but before I pull the trigger, I was hoping to hear from everyone here, how hard it will be to find parts, and do the maintenance and repairs myself?
I'm hoping to make this my daily driver. I put in about 300km a week to work and back, as well as 250km round trip ski trips on the regular.
Thanks in advance!
Mr. Fuji
Vehicle: TBD

About to buy 1993

Post by Mr. Fuji »

I'm a chequebook mechanic so I can't speak on ease of maintenance & repairs, but I have been pleasantly surprised that there are at least a few shops where Delicas are regularly seen -even welcomed- in Calgary.

Welcome to the club, soon!
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

About to buy 1993

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Parts aren't difficult to find, Mitsubishi still seem to have stock of just about everything, though you might have to wait a while and pay a bit extra for things that are not available locally and have to be ordered from Japan. The basics (brake components, filters, bearings, some suspension parts) were used on many similar Mitsubishis, and tend to be easier to find at a local parts place.

They're fairly basic mechanically so repairs are well within the scope of your average backyard mechanic though (like anything) there's a learning curve, especially if you're not familiar with diesel engines. Thanks to the engine being hidden away under the seat, repairs can be a bit fiddly and take longer than you expect. They're getting old now and most of them have a varied ownership history. I'd be wary of expecting *any* freshly-purchased 22 year old vehicle to be a reliable daily driver immediately, unless you know it's been maintained correctly.
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

Return to “Member Introductions”