Want to bring 1992 Delica RWD Diesel van from BC to ONT

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

BartBart
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica RWD Passenger Van

Want to bring 1992 Delica RWD Diesel van from BC to ONT

Post by BartBart »

Hi I'm looking at a 1992 Delica 2 wheel drive passenger van on a lot in Richmond. I currently live in BC and the dealer says it's ready to go as far as registering and plating goes in BC and that would be a condition of the sale. I am moving to Ontario though in the new year does anyone have experience with registering these RHD vehicles, Delica Diesels in particular in Ontario? I will have it BC plated and insured for at least a week or two here before I go but what can I expect as far as the provincial vehicle inspection process goes in Ontario?
Also does $6,900 for a 46,000km, 1992 RWD 10 passenger van with a new timing belt water pump and engine service sound reasonable?

Thanks

Alex
after oil
Vehicle: 92 cham-reimo poptop L300. 78MB240D

Re: Want to bring 1992 Delica RWD Diesel van from BC to ONT

Post by after oil »

who is the dealer? check the dealer feedback thread
there are very few 10 passenger 2 wheel drive vans here. i think they are not actually delicas, but L300s
sounds like a great price, as in "what else must be done?"
as for insurance: search ontario insurance here in the forum for discussion.
delidemon
Vehicle: L400 SWB Gasser!!!

Post by delidemon »

My brother imported a Delica and soon a Celica to Ontario. It will be like any other registered vehicle in Canada and just need to have a safety check done. Finding insurance may be more difficult so I would start calling and looking around where you plan to move to.
surfhunter
Vehicle: 1993 Delica L300 Jasper

Post by surfhunter »

Provincial Inspections are not a problem. They check for everything that should be checked for here. Just pick your garage wisely before you put it in there. Meaning, ask them if they have any issues with RHD's. Most will be excited to have a cool van like our Delica's come in but some ignorant A-holes do exist here in Ontario and dont want em in, haha, just ask before ya pay for inspection.

As for Insurance, start calling around. Many will say, hey no problem but when the underwriter gets a hold of the application you might get a call back saying sorry, no go. I had to get an appraisal ($200) and then I had full coverage at $550 a year. That was through Personal.

Oh ya, once you get it here, be prepared for the non stop looky lou's and finger pointing. There isnt a day that passes here that I dont get at least 100 points and weird looks.

Its all part of Delica ownership. The club I suppose.
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

Alex

That is a nice passenger L300. I've seen it and it is very roomy compared to a normal L300.

The dealer has a high/excellent feedback rating here on the forum so you can buy from him with confidence.

He would be able to recommend spare parts, etc .. That would benefit you down the road.

It's a nice rig and rare :M

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”