Importing my Deli's

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

Daveckj
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300 Super Exceed

Importing my Deli's

Post by Daveckj »

Hello all,

first post here so go easy on me...please!

Jut wondering if you sage lot could offer some advice. My good lady wife has decided to go an buy a house in NB near Fredericton (which I am allegedly to pay for :o :shock: ). She is Canadian by birth and is wanting to relocate to Canada from the UK taking the kids and me with her (poor women!).

Anyhow we have two Delicas - mine a 1993 L300 Super Exceed (I love the bus) and the wifes a 1996 L400 LWB Exceed which I would have to say is quite frankly the best vehicle we have ever owned. The whole family fits in (6 of us) with all out holiday stuff to boot and the Deli never misses a beat...ever....even after 264000 miles!

I am therefore loathed to part with either of them and dearly want to put them on a boat to Canada also. Is importing these things to NB going to be a nightmare? Is insuring them in NB going to be so ludicrous as to also be prohibitive?

So in short I guess do we bring them or leave them here in the UK?

Any and all help and advice appreciated.

DaveJ
Lapprentis
Vehicle: Delica L300 StarWagon 1990

Re: Importing my Deli's

Post by Lapprentis »

Hum, dot not know of an active Delically Owner, but maybe there are in NB ????...I have seen an L300 for sale in NB about 2 years ago, do not know about the reason...Try to get in touch with member fredvenne, I think he is from Nova-Scotia; he may have some clue for you. For sure it may be more expensive for you to insure it here than in GB but I am sure you can afford it. I also heard about RIGHTDRIVE in Ontario is actually trying to set PanCanada insurance plans, at a good price (you may give thenm a phone call if no-ones reply to you accordingly) for RHD véhicule ownars so stay tune, there is hope :)

Now, when I wanted to get a LHD L300 from Europe a while ago, I did got in touch with BUSMAN (or something close to that) that knows about shopping véhicules from Europe to NA. I think a few RHG importer from here, even from Ontario, can help you bring your cars overhere. I Know of someone doing it in the Maritimes but cannot find its website again....

Anyway, final décision will be yours based on Pros ans Cons...Keep in touch anywhay :)

Lapprentis
Daveckj

Post by Daveckj »

Thanks Lapprentis.

I had seen that there were/are some articles about relating to RHD cars in BC and the apparent likelyhood of their increased chances of being involed in accidents etc. I think that some of those articles were discussed on one of the forums here also.

As far as the shipping cost go we have to get a container sent over anyway with our household goods and the prices we have been quoted are for the container whether it is full or half empty the price is what it is, it is not done on its weight etc (they can weigh upto 36tons). As we will be getting a container there will be room inside for one of the Deli's (by that read L300 :-D ) anyway.

Was just wondering about the ins and outs once it gets to Saint John?

Cheers

DaveJ
lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Post by lrp374 »

There are a number of members from New Brunswick. If you do a search for Brunswick you'll be able to find a few names such as liquidmonkey and others that can @ least let you know about compliance and insurance. I did a quick review and I think @ least 1/2 a dozen guys are from New Brunswick.
Brave Auto a broker in Japan used to have an importer in Atlantic Canada. He also may be able to provide you with a contact.

Good luck don't leave them behind!!
Daveckj

Post by Daveckj »

lrp374 wrote:There are a number of members from New Brunswick. If you do a search for Brunswick you'll be able to find a few names such as liquidmonkey and others that can @ least let you know about compliance and insurance. I did a quick review and I think @ least 1/2 a dozen guys are from New Brunswick.
Brave Auto a broker in Japan used to have an importer in Atlantic Canada. He also may be able to provide you with a contact.

Good luck don't leave them behind!!
Cheers Lrp

I shall try to PM a few of the NB forum members. I see that a few of them have not posted in a while mind :-(

DaveJ
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I'm moved this thread to "Import, Inspection & Registration".

Welcome to the Canadian end of the cult, Dave.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
Daveckj

Post by Daveckj »

Thanks Falco.

I have some prices for getting the blunder buster to Saint John....just have to figure out what I need to do with the paperwork and insurance.

I am looking at puting a new engine in it before I coe over as there is a company over here that does them (mainly for the L200 pckup) but they will work in the deli for a good price (including all the ancilliarys - turbo, power steering pump etc etc.

Too the docks!.... Well not yet. I am feeling a little more optomistic about snowy coming on the trip though.

DaveJ

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”