Importing from Japan myself - if anyone can help me.

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

BCer
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: dodge neon at the moment

Importing from Japan myself - if anyone can help me.

Post by BCer »

Hi, I know these questions have been asked alot here, I have read over many of the answers, but looking for more info still.

I am not looking discouragement about my plans, there is enough of that abound, I can do it ! I also don't need warnings about what to watch out for, how hard it is... I can handle it all, if you can do it I can do it !

I want to import to start with a van from Japan, and then maybe put the van for sale as I look for the next.

I am thinking of heading to Japan in person so I can see the cars before I buy them, I love Japan and it is a treat to go there for this, so that is no biggie at all.

I know people are protective of the system they have learned about and I don't blame them, it's like a good fishing spot I guess, but I promise you I will be a drop of water in a lake, so if anyone wants to help with these questions I would LOVE you.

1. What are the best auction websites to order cars from in Japan ?

2. What is the best shipping company ?

3. Would being there in person be useful to me as far as being able to drive the car in Japan to the shipper ? Of course you could check the car out before you buy it, that would be nice.

4. Any useful encouraging tips for newbie about where to start to get this going easy as possible ?

Feel free to Private Message me if you would like to help me get started, I wouldn't blame the people that want to protect their sources and methods, but please don't bother with negative stuff, I have heard most of the pitfalls l

ike _ the shipping went up, there is no room on boats, the radiation in Japan, You have to spend to much $$ it is not worth it, they are hard to turn a profit, you have to change some parts, they turn the kms back on the counter, you need a pro to help you (i want to become a pro see)

Thanks everyone !
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Importing from Japan myself - if anyone can help me.

Post by jessef »

1. What are the best auction websites to order cars from in Japan ? The two I recommend for exporters in Japan that have a long history of positive transactions and satisfied clients:

http://pacificcoastjdm.com/

www.braveautointernational.jp

Both are very thorough and detailed. Communication Excellent.

2. What is the best shipping company ? Default depends on date = NYK, etc.. which boat it will be on.

3. Would being there in person be useful to me as far as being able to drive the car in Japan to the shipper ? Of course you could check the car out before you buy it, that would be nice. Yes and No. Yes for the experience. But No for reality. Picture thousands of vehicles and the possibility to physically go and inspect one yourself on an auction lot is little to none.

4. Any useful encouraging tips for newbie about where to start to get this going easy as possible ? Email one of the exporters above or better yet, speak with one of the local importers.
big6imports.com
Vehicle: JDM

Post by big6imports.com »

Hi BCer,

I can help you importing used vehicles to Canada.
I am in Japan now and I am a direct member of used vehicle auctions.
I know the importing/exporting process in Canada and I know the Canadian regulations.
Please email me for more discussion!!

Taka
kikuchi.tak@gmail.com
BCer
Vehicle: dodge neon at the moment

Post by BCer »

hi Big6,

Thats what I want is to be a direct member of used vehicle auctions and learn about all the regulations, so I doubt you really want to help me with that, because I wouldn't be making you any money, no ?
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Post by jessef »

You can't just walk into an auction house and start looking at vehicles and bidding on them like buying an item at an open auction locally here in BC.

Contact a registered exporter in Japan (like big6) and go from there as I said above.

All of your questions can be answered by a Japanese company in Japan that exports vehicles from Japan.

'Japan' being the key word here. Contact someone/co. there. I listed two that are well known. Go from there.

If you're going to be flipping vehicles, it is best to not openly discuss yourself/your intentions on the internet unless you are a BC registered dealer.
big6imports.com

Hi BCer,

1) Yes, you must be a registered member to enter / buy a car from the auctions in Japan.
To become a member, you need t apply for a business licence in Japan and it will cost you some money and time.

2)NYK is the biggest shipping company but you also need a broker to contact to NYK. You also need to have a bank in Japan to send the car and etc!!

3)First, if the car does not have licence plate then you can't drive the car in Japan. You can't switch the licence plate easily like Canada (There is a special bolt that hold the licence plate in Japan). Inspecting the car in person is a great thing to do

4)If you want to start everything by yourself then you need money, time, and knowledge. But I think getting some help from somebody is the best way to do.
I was able to get the licence because I am Japanese and I used my connections:)
big6imports.com

Lastly, the shipping cost went up because of the currency, there are still tons of available rooms in the shipment, and radiation is only at a certain area. These days it comes with radiation test when exporting from a port.

If you come to Japan, I can take you around :)

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”