This may seem dumb, but ..........

Issues relating to the purchasing, importing, and inspection of JDM vehicles in Canada

Moderator: mark

Sikorsky
Vehicle: Chick Magnet

This may seem dumb, but ..........

Post by Sikorsky »

If I were to buy a Deli from one of the importers on this site, have they already taken care of the inspection and paperwork with all the applicable government bodies?

I want an easy life where all I need to do is go to the Government Agent to register the vehicle and then give my haard earned bucks to ICBC and wander off home! :-D
Adrock
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/

Re: This may seem dumb, but ..........

Post by Adrock »

that is certainly possible if you buy from a dealer. However the importers here that don't actually stock vehicles and sell oyu vehicles direct from japan may not be compliant and oyu may have to deal with it. If oyu go somewhere like japanoid or max overdrive, i guess you could ask but i'm fairly certain they will be fuly compliant, ready to insure.
"if its so hard to pull on your knob, put some greese/wd40 on the shaft and pull in and out, that should make it happen for you."
-westcoastnewbie
EnviroImports.com
Vehicle: 94 ROYAL Exceed LWB W/air bag

Post by EnviroImports.com »

I know that if you buy from me your vehicle is 100% legal, but just a note, in the last few weeks i have found over a dozen delicas that have inspection papers and the owners belive that they are 100% compliant, however they dont have the reflectors , dont have day time running lights, dont have e code headlights, and some dont even have legal tires, everyone should check their vans, most people dont know it , but if you have more than 10% of your compliance missing , icbc can deny your insuance claim if your in an accident , even if its NOT your fault.so how many people are driving around without valid insurance? and not even knowing it.

this has been popping up more and more often , for the 30 seconds it takes to check, you can save your self ALOT of hasle.
Noel
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Post by Green1 »

Unfortunately many inspection places used to pass vehicles even if they weren't compliant, as a result BC really started cracking down on inspections, and now a vehicle can't pass without the inspector taking pictures of all the key points and submitting them online to the government... anything inspected in BC in the past 6 months (approx) has had to go through that process and will be compliant (unless modified after inspection) anyone inspected before that, may not be compliant, even if they have an inspection certificate to show that they are (I know I was guilty of that when I first got the vehicle, I have since brought it up to full BC compliance (even though I live in Alberta where they aren't (yet) as strict))

To answer the original question though, any reputable importer will have done all the compliance modifications and the inspection before you take possession of the vehicle, however it doesn't hurt to confirm this with the importer you plan on dealing with, ask them if they will have it fully compliant and inspected before you pick it up, it will make your life much easier if they do.
EnviroImports.com
Vehicle: 94 ROYAL Exceed LWB W/air bag

Post by EnviroImports.com »

there has been some developments in the last few months, the imports used to have to submit the picts to motor vehile inspections and were available online to the police/rcmp to confirm on road side . but that was also with the BC asigned vin numbers as most of us have had those put on. but since the number of jdm imports has been increasing every week motor vehicles had become overwelmed with all the j-pegs and running out of assignment tags. So now the inspection facility has to store the 2meg j-pegs on at their facility on hard drive or disk and the vehicles get a copy of their inspection form with the decal on the back of that and MUST be kept in the vehile for 1 or 2 years. the problem that has come from that, is some sellers with vans that have inspectors working in their facility have been taking old picts or and attacheing them to the file for the new import, I have confirmed that as alot of people have not co-operated to get their vans Re-inspected here in vic where kanga actully works from and the inspection forms they owner has have been only a few days old to a month old, so its been made VERY clear what is going on, but with out naming names, one sellers vehiles are ALL going to be getting re inspection notices and fines have allready been flying.
sorry to high jack the post a bit, but alot of people dont know why they are starting to get inspection notices and the best way to help ( I think ) is to inform the buyers either current or future of what to look for.
Noel
Fanny Bay Delica

Post by Fanny Bay Delica »

Noel,

Who is the imported/seller of which you speak?

Andy
Cheers!!

Andy

'91 Delica Super Exceed (Jade over Silver) - SOLD!! - SOLD!! SOLD!!

[Image
MardyDelica
Vehicle: DL#30843 /92 Delica Super Exceed

Post by MardyDelica »

in short they just dont want to spend money for safety of the car.
they want cheap;
cheers everybody:
ImageImageImage
marsgal42
Vehicle: The Mighty Gumdrop

Post by marsgal42 »

How much the importer does for you depends on the importer, and how much money you give them. I got my Delica from Japanoid. I gave them a deposit and they found and brought brought over a Delica for me. I gave them the balance and they handed me the keys and B.C. inspection and registration documents, ready to talk to an ICBC agent. Just like buying any used car.

For my own interest and protection I have verified the compliance work and all the stuff on the out of province inspection report myself. This isn't difficult: E-coded headlights that dip to the right, daytime running lights, side markers, brakes that work and have some meat on the pads, and so on. My Delica is compliant, and I know it's compliant.

...laura

Return to “Import, Inspection & Registration”