WVO fuel line heat

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

loki
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Delica Royal Exceed

WVO fuel line heat

Post by loki »

has anyone ran there WVO supply line close to, touching or even coiled around the exhaust? just curios as that would seem to be an easy way to keep the oil at temp if you have the tank where the spare usually goes. I just had a crazy idea but what about a tank that has channel or aluminum tube running through it that the exhaust could be welded to to help heat the tank? bad idea? haven't though it through, just came into my head, the only issue I can think of is that the tank would be more $$$ but depending on the design and the amount of heat produced you could maybe eliminate some heat exchangers?
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Re: WVO fuel line heat

Post by Schwa »

if it could be done safely, it's a good idea using exhaust heat, for one the exhaust produces heat much quicker than coolant lines... but you'd have to watch max temps, like going up big hills - too much heat? it would be interesting to find out though.
BCDelica
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=10008
Vehicle: WVO Powered Tuk Tuk

Re: WVO fuel line heat

Post by BCDelica »

It could be done, be would be hard to get perfect. I graped this of the Frybrid site:

The other issue which needs to be dealt with is the polymerization of vegetable oil when it contacts metal below an optimum temperature. The simplest way to explain this is with a simple analogy: Imagine placing a pan on the stove, pouring a small amount of vegetable oil in the pan, and turning the heat to high. The pan will begin to heat up and as it does it will heat the oil, around 300F the oil will start to smoke, then turn black, stick to the pan, and destroy it. Now put out the fire, open all the doors and windows and allow the air to clear. Go to the cabinet and choose another $200.00 LeCrusette pan, place this on what is left of your stove and turn the heat on high again. When the pan gets to about 600F throw a tablespoon of oil in the pan, just before it bursts into flame singeing whatever is left of your eyebrows, you will notice that the oil is skittering around the pan on a layer of vapor, none of the oil is sticking to the pan and none of it is turning to carbon.
Image Call me BCDelica-less

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”