MPG // WVO

WVO filtering, WVO conversion information, biodiesel fuel issues, etc.

Moderator: BCDelica

TallGuy
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 Super Exceed (Jade/Silver)

MPG // WVO

Post by TallGuy »

MPG:
I previously posted regarding my turbo whistling a little louder than usual. There has been no apparent loss of power; but I have been hyper-vigilant about MPG as a result.

On 28 litres of reg. diesel, I got just over 220 km (with some climbing but also long descents, Kelowna to Vancouver). Converting, this gives me roughly 19mpg (US). My buddy at work gets only slightly better for his Delica (also a '92 low-km Super Exceed). I have seen various mileage claims of 25-28mpg (JDM Wholesale) and one post with a claim of as much as 40mpg.

Note that, if one uses the UK conversion, my mileage would be 22mpg. Perhaps this is one reason for higher mileage claims, or is my Deli a poor performer in that regard?

//

WVO:
I haven't yet fully researched this topic... With an WVO conversion, can one still use diesel/biodiesel?

Regards.........jamie
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Re: MPG // WVO

Post by Schwa »

You're getting typical fuel economy, but if you haven't had your injection timing checked and set it could probably improve as well. The fuel economy numbers tossed around are probably the Japanese rating, which is typically higher than north american test results on the same vehicle, and then even the US ratings are significantly higher than what people get because the tests haven't changed along with everyone's more aggressive driving style.

With a WVO kit you can still use regular diesel or biodiesel if you've changed the fuel lines, just don't switch to WVO. The vehicle will need to start and shut down on petro/bio-diesel anyhow, so the whole stock system is left pretty much intact.
TallGuy
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '92 Super Exceed (Jade/Silver)

Post by TallGuy »

Thanks for the info, Schwa. I suppose the smoke when I start up in the am's is due to injectors, as well?
Schwa
Vehicle: 1992 Delica Exceed

Post by Schwa »

Yes, injection timing makes a big difference for starting and idling properly, but there may always be a puff of smoke when it first starts.

Return to “WVO and Biodiesel”