Newbie checking in with 88 2WD USA Van Wagon

IdahoDoug
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1988 Mitsubishi Van Wagon

Newbie checking in with 88 2WD USA Van Wagon

Post by IdahoDoug »

Just thought I'd check in and say hello here on the Technical board as that's where I'll likely spend the most time. I have not even picked up the vehicle yet. It has a hole in the trans pan and the sellor says it can make it cross town to my home but I am thinking of pulling the pan and having it welded (and possibly add a drain bung at the same time) and then a proper refill before moving it off. Like many of you, I have developed an odd affliction of driving unique little vans and I'm looking forward to poking around on this unique vehicle.

Parts wise, I'm looking for two interior parts. One, the large plastic trim panel around the rear air conditioning controls. Looks like something fell against it and it is cracked with a couple bits gone. My interior is brown-ish though I'd gladly take another color as I have had great luck repainting plastics to match. I'm in the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho area and often get up to British Columbia on vacation if that helps. I am also looking for a driver's seat cushion as it is the only worn bit. This trim color I would charitably call brownish pinkish -heh. And I think I'll be looking for a factory service manual, and an owner's manual if anyone has sources on these.

As for me, I also have a Vanagon and I'm looking forward to driving the Mitsu and seeing how they compare. A couple very unique vehicles.

Thanks for contributing to this site and making it a resource. I've already been lurking here for a while and read most of the threads as I've been thinking about this Van Wagon for the better part of a year.

Regards,
teamtestbot
Vehicle: 1989 Mitsubishi Van/Wagon

Re: Newbie checking in with 88 2WD USA Van Wagon

Post by teamtestbot »

Awesome, welcome to the dorky 80s van club. I see you have membership already with your vanagon though! :-D

I saw your other thread regarding transmission and oil pan stuff. I've been in and out of most corners on my 1989 one, so feel free to ask - I'm not a "car guy" by hobby or trade but have picked up a fair bit of trivia about these models in particular.

Based on your description I would also rather tow it rather than try to drive. Transmission fluid is very detergent-like and highly penetrative (low surface tension, creeps everywhere) so I wouldn't recommend trying to field-fix it. Have the pan removed, cleaned thorougly, and welded. Better yet, get a new pan.

It's interesting that you mention the interior, because my van has basically the same interior pieces damaged - by the A/C controls in the middle row which came that way, and in the very back left. The latter was my fault, with loading a big electric scooter without securing it and then taking city corners "enthusiastically". The 1980s era plastic seems very brittle.

I got a service manual from eBay and my van came with the original owner's manual, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was eBayable also.
IdahoDoug

Post by IdahoDoug »

Thanks for the offer. The drip is so slow that the appeal of filling it and running across town with a chase vehicle is there. The alternative is retrieving my trailer, pulling a truck out of storage, etc. So question is out there, but do you know if I can use a common trans oil like Dex II? Whatever I fill it with is going to be dumped within a few days. Thanks. Also, I was thinking of getting the trans filter and gasket kit on Rock Auto - a source I've had good luck with. But I don't know if they have the right trans kit, etc. So two questions - filter/gasket, and trans oil?

Thanks,
Doug
Yokohama

Post by Yokohama »

The rear interior parts of the these vans are very easy to break (old 80's plastic), and Mitsubishi of course does not carry anything any more. I am planning to remove the lower plastic panels and do something like replace them with something like wood vernier panels. The rear climate control panel is going to be the issue.

It will be noted that there are photos of the Canadian Delica's with really nice custom interiors!

As you may have noted in my posts in the other thread, that the transmission is the same as certain Montero's and the Mighty Max's.
So you should be able to get a transmission oil pan off one, or order a new one if needed.

Autozone has the transmission oil filter and gasket kit. It is a Duralast unit made in Taiwan, and appears to be of good quality. The kit comes with a gasket, and I have used the kit's gasket in other cars, and it works well. The original was "import gray" silicon gasket maker (also at Autozone) if that is desired.

On a related note, and as stated in the other post, I know of a 88 Van in the salvage near here. It is the cargo version, so it has no interior in the rear. It is not in the best shape, but I am taking parts off it to fix my van, and to get spare parts. If anyone needs parts I can look to see if they have them. I would move fast, this van will only be there for a short time.
Whenever On-Road and off-road; on duty and off duty, it is DELICA Moment. -CMC

"Practical vehicle fitting wide occasion from personal use to commercial use.
Many can ride / many can be loaded." -Official Mitsubishi L300 product website
IdahoDoug

Post by IdahoDoug »

Yokohama,

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in parts from the van you speak of, though certainly location limits what makes sense. So feel free to PM location info if you would.

As for interior panels, I'll cross pollinate a bit from the Vanagon world. I recently made a couple panels for my Vanagon out of a material Home Depot sells at 9 bucks for a 4 X 8 sheet. It is an outdoor grade (water proof) hardboard composite that is super easy to cut and shape, drill and paint. Ideal, really. If interested, I will track down the specific product name. It's an eighth inch thick and comes in indoor and outdoor grade and is similar to melamine.

Speaking of interiors - heh - the material on the A pillars is in horrible shape. Any suggestions? It looks like off white Christmas flocking. I'm thinking of a stiff brush to remove the rest of this bad idea and painting it the same color.
teamtestbot

Post by teamtestbot »

I think I've eaten a double digit % of the total amount of Van/Wagon parts left on Rock Auto. I used a 5 quart jug of Autozone-branded "Dex/Merc" which was DEXRON III compatible - they're backward compatible by design - when I did my own transmission flush a while back.
IdahoDoug

Post by IdahoDoug »

Thanks, works for me. Then after fixing the pan, i will fill it with the mitsu fluid i got...
Yokohama

Post by Yokohama »

As for the interior pillars, I have the same issue. It maybe possible to take them out, and then get the fuzzy stuff off, and just paint them with plastic compatible spray paint.

As for the location of the parts van, think central USA. So, shipping would be the only way to do anything.

Rockauto is OK for some of the more cross-model compatible van items, but not really much else. Don't forget that this van has been made in many parts of the world, and is still very popular in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, so parts are out there. The best way is to find a parts seller on ebay out of some place like Taiwan (where they where making almost this exact van until just recently).

Of course, one can always get parts shipped from Canada.

IdahoDoug

Post by IdahoDoug »

Yokohama,

Dang, was hoping you were somewhere in the PNW. Seems like we are a haven for hip little vans so was hoping. Yeah, on the interior flocking, that's exactly what I think I'll end up doing - pulling them and wire brushing down to plastic and repainting. I've had great luck with that. Modern plastic rattle can paints have become durable and colors widely available. SEM makes a full line, and I've also used Krylon on exterior plastics. They are more akin to permanent dyes than scrapeable paint.

What color is the interior and can front seats swap side to side?
teamtestbot

Post by teamtestbot »

Hey Yokohama,

I was wondering about the eBay sellers too. What Mitsubishi model code (L300, Delica Starwagon, etc.) have you found give the best cross compatibility to the U.S. models?
Yokohama

Post by Yokohama »

As for the parts van interior; it is the kind of brown that may of them are.
It has the multi-tone type fabric seats. I can ship a seat if needed.

The left and right seats maybe able to be made to interchange. However, the rails would have to be changed around from one to the other because the passenger's seat has no adjustments (and no lumbar support).

I search on ebaymotors using search terms such as, "delica ball joint" or using a part number (MBXXXXXX). You do have to know if the part works for the USA van though. Also, you can also try just searching with "Mitsubishi Van ball joint".

Be very careful about Chinese made parts on ebay. The seller may not even be able to tell you were they are made. One thing to do is to never buy Mevotech and MAS chassis parts. I first try to get a USA or Japan made parts, and if I can't find them, then I get Korea or Taiwan (and sometimes HK).

There are some sites and other ways of viewing the parts/part number breakouts for the van. I think there is a Russian site that lets you view what is essentially the Mitsubishi ASA (After Sales Support).

IdahoDoug

Post by IdahoDoug »

Yokohama,

If its not too much trouble, could you check to see the seat conditions or snag a picture? And eyeball how much trouble it would be for you to just pull the padded seat cushion and back cushion vs the entire seat frame. While you are in there, thepanel that surrounds the rear a/c controlls is cracked badly on mine, and then the panel all the way back on the same side is also cracked. As is the panel opposite this rear one. Thanks in advance for checking into these.
Doug

Return to “Mitsubishi Vanwagon”