Newbie in the US with questions

Mazdax605
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 Delica P25W

Newbie in the US with questions

Post by Mazdax605 »

Hello guys,

I introduced myself a couple of months ago on here, but have been silent since. Well I have a 1990 Mitsubishi L300 Wagonvan as they are called here in the states that I had shipped to me on the east coast from California. I finally got around to getting it insured and registered this week, and I have been driving it the past couple of days. So far I must say, Wow I love this little van. Such a different driving experience than almost anything else I have ever driven. I love all the looks the thing is getting as well. It seems all the sheeple around here in south-eastern MA only like to drive big 4wd SUV's and nothing older than 4-5 years old lest you be mocked for driving an antique. All of my vehicles are odd balls and that is what I like.

With all that being said I would like to fix my van up some more to make it look a little better. I may even try to give it a paint job, but I have a few questions. Where can someone in the US get parts for these? I need a new windshield sprayer as one is barely holding on and I know if I remove it for paint it will surely not go back on as it is being held in now with god knows what. Also if I wanted to remove the windows to do a proper paint job is there anywhere that I can get new rubber moldings for these dried in the CA sun pieces? Where can I get curtains for the van as it has tracks for them? How about new front carpets? Mine is missing the passengers side, but my guess is it is one piece and someone messed up the passengers side part and cut it out. Any thoughts on why the rear gate lock button only works sometimes to unlock the gate?

Actually I really need to know right now is how to remove the rear windshield wiper blade as I bought a new one at the local parts store, but can't get the old one off. I figured out the fronts with some effort but the rear is bugging me and I don't want to break it. The owners manual shows the front washer reservoir pulling out to refill it but I couldn't get it to budge and was afraid I may break it so I just used a funnel. It has to come out of there to make filling it easier. Any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for your time,

Chris

Go Bruins!!!!!!!!! Actually that might not help around here.
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
jessef
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month

Re: Newbie in the US with questions

Post by jessef »

Hey Chris

Napa USA carries Mitsubishi VanWagon parts.
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Hi Chris!

Congrats on a very rare beast. I've seen a couple of L300s in California before, though they do look odd with the steering wheel on the wrong side ;-)

Windshield sprayer: it's held on by a spring steel metal clip on the inside, waaay up behind the dashboard. (The door lock cylinders are held in using a similar arrangement, if that helps you visualize it). What happens is someone takes your van through a carwash and the brushes rip the sprayer off, bending the metal clip. I bet all you'll have to do is find the clip, remove it, beat it back into shape, and reinstall it.

Front and rear windshields and front door windows have unique moldings that will have to come from Mitsubishi or another van. The sliding side windows use generic sliding window molding (well, it's generic here in New Zealand) which I bought from a car upholsterer. The kind of shop that also installs sunroofs and soft tops. I'm sure there are dozens on the left coast. ;-)

I suspect your van is missing the passenger side carpet because you have a footwell leak. Have a quick search for "footwell leak" on the forum- the causes and cures are well documented, easily fixed, and worth doing before fitting new carpet. The footwell carpet is indeed supposed to be one piece.

The tailgate switch contacts get burned after a while. Remove the switch, remove the guts by carefully disengaging the tabs at the back, and watch out for the small springs. You'll see which bits are burnt and need cleaning, brush the contact off with a toothbrush and then a light clean with fine sandpaper on the contact surfaces.

Rear wiper blade? There should be a clip at one end, it's usually a metal clip that needs to be squeezed to disengage, or a plastic tab that you pull out sideways. Once the clip is removed you slide the wiper blade out of the holder's claws.

The washer fluid reservoir *does* slide out, but it's a bitch even if you do it regularly. I alternate pulling from the top and bottom, and it eventually wiggles out, but a funnel works fine too.

Good luck!
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

So I still can't figure out the rear wiper blade removal, but I did take the gate lock switch apart and clan up the contacts. They didn't look bad at all but some loving from a pencil eraser did the trick as it works perfect now. The guy I bought the van from included the last remaining complete set of brand new locks for the van from Mitsubishi left in North America. I just have to get around to changing them all out. It looks like it may be a pain in the butt to do, but as of right now the only door I can unlock is the drivers door and that is hard to do as it is. Took my first longish trip with it tonight to go play hockey, and it handled the freeway with ease,and felt stable unlike I thought it would. The heat doesn't work so well and the temp gauge barely moves off the Cold reading. My bet is the thermostat is either missing or stuck open. I bought a new one, just need to find time to put it in. How rough of a job is that?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Chris

Go Bruins!!!!!!!
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
LeeHammy
Vehicle: 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L Turbo

Post by LeeHammy »

Mazdax605 wrote: Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!
:cry:
i like cheese
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

I just had to. Been a fan all my life, and last year was truly sweet for me. Born in 74 so I never saw them win the cup. I thought it may ruffle some feathers around here, but posted it anyway. Yes sometimes I am a child.

So yesterday I used the van all day running errands and such. Went to get take out for my wife and kids in the evening without issue but then went to play hockey around 8pm and the van didn't want to start. It would turn over and I could smell fuel vaporized in the air of the garage. A few more tries proved unsuccessful as well but then after my brother-in-law came over to the garage while I was under the engine cover looking at things he suggested another try at starting it. Fired right up. We brought it to the rink and it was fine the whole trip, and started just fine for the trip home. Got it back in the garage, shut it down and tried to start it again, but it wouldn't fire. It just turns over but doesn't fire. I will try this morning to see if it starts, but I am confused. I know you guys mostly have diesels, but any help would be much appreciated.

Chris
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Went from bad to worse on Tuesday. Father-in-law was over and wanted to see the van. I pulled it out of the garage so he could see it better,and noticed the low oil level light was lit. Thought it was odd because I had just checked it a week or so ago when I put it on the road and only drove it around 300 miles. Checked the oil and it was down around 2 quarts. FIL asked me if it burned any oil. I said I don't think so. He wondered like I did about where the oil was going. He suggested I check the radiator. When I did I got an answer I didn't want to hear. Out gushed a nasty tan colored mixture of oil and coolant that told me the head gasket is bad. The guy I bought the van from told me the owner before him(he only owned it briefly) had done the head gasket. Well I don't think so as it doesn't look like it has been done. I torn into the engine and have also source some parts to do the job. I also found out why I have no heat in the van as I assumed. There is no thermostat just like I thought and it is probably due to the head gasket issue.

Not real happy about this but once I get it all fixed I will be content in knowing the van is fixed and fixed right.

Go Bruins!!!! Playoff's baby!!!!!
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
LeeHammy
Vehicle: 1994 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8L Turbo

Post by LeeHammy »

Good for you, stick with it. I know its a bummer but having a ride like that where your from is a treat. No one will have one. The looks I get when I go to the states you would swear I'm driving a Lambo. Haha

Once all unknowns are known it should be a joy to own.
i like cheese
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

So I went for bad, to worse, to full on suck this week. I had the head off earlier this week to replace the head gasket that was leaking or so I thought. Had the head looked at by a local engine guy to see if it was still flat before bolting it back on. Well it turns out the head is cracked really badly,and that is why it is leaking. Turns out the head gasket had just been done, but when the shop bolts a crcked head back on it causes problems. Imagine that!!?? Now the search for a new/used head is on. Man this thing is getting expensive!!!

At least I have the NHL playoffs to soothe me. actually it usually isn't very soothing, but fun at least. Best time of the year!!!

Chris
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Well this van may be the end of me working on cars!! I finished installing a new head that I bought from a guy in AZ back on Saturday with the help of my brother-in-law. Actually the job wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but not anything I wanted to do again. Well guess what, I do have to do it all again. Turns out the van wouldn't start after installing the new head. I tried everything, but it just turned over without firing even though it has fuel, and spark. I spoke with the guy who sold me the head who is also a virtual expert in these VanWagons,and he had me trying all sorts of things. After all of those failed he emailed me asking me to call him again, as he knows what is wrong. I guess he or one of his partners used valves from a head that uses mechanical rockers instead of the hydraulic lifters in the rockers that these vans all use. Supposedly they are too long,and staying open no matter the position of the cam. That is probably why I have no compression.

Now the guy wants me to take the head off to send back to him so he can fix it, and send it back to me with a fresh set of gaskets including a new head gasket. Nice of him to offer, but I hate the fact that I have to do the whole job twice, when I should be driving this awesome little van. Add to the fact that the Bruins sucked this playoff season,and I am not a happy camper!!! The good news is I am getting really good at head removal/installation on these vans!! That is a skill I could use in the future!! You know all the vanwagon owners will be beating my door down.

Chris
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
dfnder
Vehicle: '91 Exceed

Post by dfnder »

Well sorry to hear of your troubles, sometimes just talking about it makes you feel better. There are always issues with older vehicles and the Delica is no exception, we love the van so we put up with it.
All the best and good luck.
Mazdax605

Post by Mazdax605 »

Update time:

Well I got the new head back from the guy who built it originally with the wrong valves on Thursday of last week. Didn't have time to get much done aside from mount the intake to the head. Yesterday after getting home from a camping trip with my family my father-in-law and brother-in-law came over to help me get the head bolted on. We did so after I finally got around to replacing the fuel filter. Well I told them they could take off after getting the head bolt on, but they wante dto stuck around as it was a nice day, and they didn't have much else to do anyway. After a few hours we had the thing running!!! Only for about 3 or so minutes to get it timed correctly, and then we called it a night. Now I need to get some water in it,and button things all up, before a road test. Wish me luck!!

Chris

Go Kings Go!!!

Sad Bruins fan.
Chris

89 P25W L300 Aero GLX
74 Mazda REPU
78 Mazda RX-7 GS
bartismo
Vehicle: 1990 L300 2WD

Post by bartismo »

The wiper blade not sure as for the washer tank it comes out by pulling straight up.9

Return to “Mitsubishi Vanwagon”