Electrical Issue - Instrument lights on, battery draw

blankenship
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1988 US version Delica/L300

Post by blankenship »

For the last several months, my L300 camper van has been illuminating the battery, brake, and coolant lights on the dashboard when the vehicle is running. These instrument lights kind of 'pulse' and change brightness with some relation to engine RPM. At very high RPM the lights will sometimes fade off, only to return the moment RPM dips.

Background—
This stuff might be unrelated, but:

-I've been through 4 different batteries in the past 6 years.
-I suspected the alternator, but when this dash illumination issue started I was told by a local parts shop that the alternator tested fine.
-I did a 'battery draw' test, and the system draws 20mA when the ignition is off
-I tested the alternator draw/rectifier and it doesn't seem to be the source of the draw.
-1988 L300 (USA version) 2WD 2.4L petrol

Has anyone had similar experience?
Or can point to likely culprits or workflow for solution?
Blankenship
'88 2.4L gasoline L300
Growlerbearnz
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Post by Growlerbearnz »

On Japanese L300s those three lights all come on when the alternator isn't charging. (The brake and coolant* lights are connected to the alternator/battery light via a couple of diodes, because Mitsubishi was too cheap to install a power on self test timer.)

The easy test would be to unplug the 2-pin connector on the alternator, start the engine, and see if the lights illuminate. If the lights stay dark you know the alternator is faulty.

The two pins are battery voltage sense (white/red stripe), and warning light. The white/red stripe wire should show the same voltage as the battery. If it's lower you have a bad connection somewhere, usually near the battery.

Oh and 20mA is completely normal. It'll be the dashboard clock, plus whatever the stereo draws. Try unplugging the two large white connectors under the dashboard (they run everything on the dash) and see how it goes.

*(fuel filter warning on diesel engines)
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

blankenship wrote: -1988 L300 (USA version) 2WD 2.4L petrol

Has anyone had similar experience?
Or can point to likely culprits or workflow for solution?
Sounds like you're driving a Mitsubishi Vanwagon. I'm moving this thread to "Mitsubishi Vanwagon".

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
blankenship
Vehicle: 1988 US version Delica/L300

Post by blankenship »

Growlerbearnz wrote:On Japanese L300s those three lights all come on when the alternator isn't charging. (The brake and coolant* lights are connected to the alternator/battery light via a couple of diodes, because Mitsubishi was too cheap to install a power on self test timer.)

The easy test would be to unplug the 2-pin connector on the alternator, start the engine, and see if the lights illuminate. If the lights stay dark you know the alternator is faulty.
You were right on Growlerbearnz!
Pulled the alternator plug and the lights went out. New alternator in now, and all is well. Thanks much!
Blankenship
'88 2.4L gasoline L300

Return to “Mitsubishi Vanwagon”