Hams in Delica -- the licenced variety

For HAM or CB technical discussions
Erebus
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Hams in Delica -- the licenced variety

Post by Erebus »

THREAD continued from hijacked "how many made the switch from vw's to delicas" topic.

I too have been considering APRS. I've been running with GPS and moving map (both in the GPS and on computer) for years, just don't have an HT handy for doing APRS. If you have some gear you want to get rid of ... or maybe I'll finally sacrifice and modify the RS 202.

I'm thinking of getting a Yaesu 8900 quad-band, not that I need the other two bands, but the price difference between the 8800 and 8900 isn't worth not getting it. Then I could mount the head just in front of the altimeter pod. Right now my Icom is mounted the same place that Green1 has his Kenwood (blue display). Problem with that is that I have to disconnect power and remove it to open the hood (both are quick releases, but still), since I haven't had a chance to properly wire it in yet (it connects to the rear cig lighter outlet at the moment).

While I have my advanced licence, I haven't gotten any HT transmitters. I do like the 706 tho. With interests in search and rescue flying, event communcations, and computers, my budget doesn't need more temptations. :o

73s
Last edited by Erebus on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
Green1
Vehicle: 1994 L400 Royal Exceed PF8W

Re: Hams in Delica -- the licenced variety

Post by Green1 »

I went with a very sturdy 2m radio with very good out of band characteristics (FT-1802) and my old dual-band (kenwood V-7 (lousy radio btw, but I already own it, and it does have the cross band repeat which is the big thing I need from it) I have routed the wiring a bit better than Ruminante though so I don't have to unplug anything to open the "hood"

For APRS I was going to go the DYI route with a tinytrakII and an old crystal radio, but I discovered that I really had no use for my Kenwood D-7 any more and it has a built-in TNC, so I've rigged it all to that instead.

I still have to play with it a bit more to get it to behave like I want, I'm struggling with the antenna placement balance of keeping the tracking system hidden, vs having good propagation... (so far it's well hidden, but the range is limited) I'm also debating when I want it transmitting, I've discovered if it's always on the Delica's battery only lasts a few days in extreme cold weather, but if I have it on the ignition the last position broadcast can be up to 10 minutes old and therefore quite inaccurate, I think I will probably end up adding some form of a timer in to the mix to keep it online for an extra broadcast or 2 before shutdown....
TardisDeli
Vehicle: 1991 L300. 1997 L300.

Post by TardisDeli »

Hi All, co-incidentally and funnily enuf, The TardisDeli crew and Falco-Delica were talking yesterday about getting our ham licenses, before I saw this post. The Tardis-Deli already has VHF Marine, as we volunteer with Coast Guard Auxiliary Search & Rescue (will we sound truly very sad people if I admit the home base radio is in our bedroom -- honestly we do have a life -- merely the shortest line from the roof top antenna). Falco checked into ham courses, but doesn't seem to be much at this time of year, and the ones that are are every Saturday for many weeks, which kinda cuts into our volunteer time. Does anyone else in the lower mainland want to get together (our house) and start teaching ourselves the basics until we can find a course? Cheers, Christine and Jay of the TardisDeli.
Erebus
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed

Post by Erebus »

Good to see other SAR people here. As the Aussies would say "good on ya".

You don't have to apologize on this thread for having radios in the bedroom. I may not have any INSTALLED there, but it isn't unusual for there to be one or two handhelds laying on the dresser (or the dining room table or bathroom counter for that matter).

If you think you are pretty knowledgeable on radio -- which I would suspect if you already have your marine licence -- then you can download a practice exam from Radio Amateurs of Canada website, and practice it a bunch of times. Once you feel confident, then you find an examiner and just write the exam.

If you were closer to here (Calgary), I'd offer to help!
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".
marsgal42
Vehicle: The Mighty Gumdrop

Post by marsgal42 »

I have Advanced and 12 WPM (done before they dropped the Morse requirement).

Some day I'd like to do a Delica-based Field Day station. Probably Class B, camp out somewhere, string some wire in the trees and fly at it. I like the idea of being able to set up shop and be on the air in a few minutes, not the hours of preparation some of the Field Day stations I've been involved with do.

...laura
JMK
Vehicle: 92 Chamonix

Post by JMK »

If you want to stick w/VHF only...the Alinco's are still nice, and have good, strong front ends. The TM-271A Kenwood is very popular for the same reason, and the Yaesu FT-2800M because of its hardiness.

Return to “Radio Communications”