Post your call sign's HAM's

For HAM or CB technical discussions
psilosin
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400
Location: BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby psilosin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:10 pm

RichD wrote:
psilosin wrote:so are phone numbers but some people might not want them posted places (like bathroom stalls) without their knowledge. 8-)

No not the same at all. You are leasing a phone number from the telco. That is a private transaction. The listing of your number is another matter; you choose to list or not. As you get to choose your caller id string.

However Amateur Radio is a public service and one of the central tenets of this is that everything on HAM is fully open including the identity of the operators. You aren't allowed to transmit code or obfuscate things.

The basic notion is that it is public spectrum and Industry Canada wants it to be easy for the clubs to self-regulate. There is potential for abuse and this keeps everyone honest. But the other reason is that the openness encourages innovation which is why you have wonderful things like APRS and so on.


Yeah for the purpose of the point they are the same. Point was that there is a difference between publicly available via directed search or public info posted overtly be others in an alternate location.

People are paranoid about things like Facebook privacy, blocking their liscence plate number from photos, not posting a phone number etc...but as Jesse just pointed out, by posting a call sign you have also revealed your real name and physical address that you may not have intended to, to a crowd of people that you really do not know, who otherwise would never have known. Just making yourself that much easier to mine so it should be your choice to reveal not someone else.

All the info re-pasted by Jesse was previously released on Delica.ca by the individuals so that is fair.

RichD
Posts: 948
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby RichD » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 pm

psilosin wrote:
RichD wrote:
psilosin wrote:so are phone numbers but some people might not want them posted places (like bathroom stalls) without their knowledge. 8-)

No not the same at all. You are leasing a phone number from the telco. That is a private transaction. The listing of your number is another matter; you choose to list or not. As you get to choose your caller id string.

However Amateur Radio is a public service and one of the central tenets of this is that everything on HAM is fully open including the identity of the operators. You aren't allowed to transmit code or obfuscate things.

The basic notion is that it is public spectrum and Industry Canada wants it to be easy for the clubs to self-regulate. There is potential for abuse and this keeps everyone honest. But the other reason is that the openness encourages innovation which is why you have wonderful things like APRS and so on.


Yeah for the purpose of the point they are the same. Point was that there is a difference between publicly available via directed search or public info posted overtly be others in an alternate location.

People are paranoid about things like Facebook privacy, blocking their liscence plate number from photos, not posting a phone number etc...but as Jesse just pointed out, by posting a call sign you have also revealed your real name and physical address that you may not have intended to, to a crowd of people that you really do not know, who otherwise would never have known. Just making yourself that much easier to mine so it should be your choice to reveal not someone else.

All the info re-pasted by Jesse was previously released on Delica.ca by the individuals so that is fair.


Security through obscurity is a myth. Accept that you are incorrect and let it go. No jive.

User avatar
jessef
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 pm
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month
Location: Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby jessef » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm

The mining point moot. All the bot or person has to do is visit the IC link. There is an option to search and also list the entire DB. Any info posted here is readily available to anyone or program to access on the IC database site.

It's all good. Each person who took the examination is aware of this as there is a section that speaks about this very thing. Not relevant to operating a ham radio but on the exam nevertheless.

It's all good fellow Hams :M

RichD
Posts: 948
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby RichD » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

jfarsang wrote:The mining point moot. All the bot or person has to do is visit the IC link. There is an option to search and also list the entire DB. Any info posted here is readily available to anyone or program to access on the IC database site.

It's all good. Each person who took the examination is aware of this as there is a section that speaks about this very thing. Not relevant to operating a ham radio but on the exam nevertheless.

It's all good fellow Hams :M

Mining moot point? I suspect that this is Steven Lee posting as Jesse Farsang. BANHAMMER ACTIVATE!


psilosin
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L400
Location: BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby psilosin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:12 pm

RichD wrote:Security through obscurity is a myth. Accept that you are incorrect and let it go. No jive.

So true, that's why people on the lamb take out 2 page ads in the newspaper with a map to their hideout and a common slogan in WW2 was loose lips float ship and why the bank recommends that you tatoo your PIN number on your forehead. Jive turkey. :-D

User avatar
jessef
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 pm
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month
Location: Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby jessef » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am

Updated the list and added the following for the Ham's that would like their address to remain private.

Your Full name, call sign and type is public information on Industry Canada.

*note. If you don't want your information available to the public, you can email Industry Canada at spectrum.amateur@ic.gc.ca and request to have your mailing address removed from their database (which is open to public in search and DB list format).

User avatar
jessef
Posts: 6455
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:27 pm
Vehicle: JDM flavour of the month
Location: Vancouver
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby jessef » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 pm

updated

Any more Mitsu maple hickory smoked ham's out there :M

User avatar
almac
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: '91 Delica "Tessen"
Location: Okanagan
Location: Okanagan, BC CANADA

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby almac » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:01 pm

basic with honors.
tardisdeli jay helped me do the ceiling install of my very old duel band kenwood. ;)
Image
Image
sometimes i carry my wouxun handheld...
Image
hmmm, ... pics are a bit blurry. i should take better ones... :-(

i'm now working on a mount for a larger antenna mount for a receiver hitch. ;)

'73
Ve7NML
Roads!? Who the hell needs roads!?,
al
Image
91' Delica "Tessen", 5spd, RS9000XLs, camperized.

yojimbo
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:14 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1994 Delica L300 - Jasper
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby yojimbo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:39 pm

M0YOJ Image
1994 L300 Jasper
1986 Scimitar 1.8Ti

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Location: Edmonton (was Calgary until 2017), Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby Erebus » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:26 pm

I have three call signs:
VE6 FVD (my usual)
VE6 NCF and VE6BCB (the initials of the cats I had at the time I got the callsigns)

First licenced as VE2FUD in Quebec. Trivia: I wrote my exam on 16 January 1995, during the premier episode of Star Trek Voyager.

Now have Basic, Advanced, and Morse.

Also have Marine - DSC as well as Aeronautical radio licences, and am an authorized examiner for Aeronautical licences.

As for privacy, as has been pointed out, if you google a call sign, you will get name, check Canada411 and you will probably get address and phone number. Am I worried? No, because if you google my name, you will get hits from all kinds of dead e-mail and snail addresses.

Stalking people is no longer difficult in the slightest. The major protection you have is that there are so few stalkers and so many people. Much like "burglar-proofing" your house. You only have to make it less attractive than the house next door, you don't have to have bars on all the windows. That's more likely to kill you in a fire than save you from a burglary. Any decent burglar can pick your door lock and disable your alarm faster than you can use your key and punch in the code.

Paranoia won't help you anyway! :-D
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".

VE7LHM
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 am
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: L300
Location: Delta BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby VE7LHM » Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm VE7LHM my name is Leonard and i have a L300 with both VHF/UHF and HF mobile equipment.

73,s

RadarGrrl
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=22564
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Chamonix
Location: Comox, BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby RadarGrrl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Here is VE3TUX/VA3PSB. Obviously once I'm on the Island (six more weeks), these'll change.

Nata
It's not just a van, it's an entire subculture!

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Location: Edmonton (was Calgary until 2017), Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby Erebus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 pm

RadarGrrl wrote:Here is VE3TUX/VA3PSB. Obviously once I'm on the Island (six more weeks), these'll change.

Nata

You can keep your call sign when you move, if you want. So it doesn't have to change.

73s de VE6FVD
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".

RadarGrrl
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=22564
Vehicle: 1998 L400 Chamonix
Location: Comox, BC

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby RadarGrrl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Erebus wrote:
RadarGrrl wrote:Here is VE3TUX/VA3PSB. Obviously once I'm on the Island (six more weeks), these'll change.

Nata

You can keep your call sign when you move, if you want. So it doesn't have to change.

73s de VE6FVD


When did that change? I understood I had 30 days to inform IC and obtain a new call for my new area.
It's not just a van, it's an entire subculture!

User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:55 pm
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1992 Super Exceed
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Location: Edmonton (was Calgary until 2017), Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Post your call sign's HAM's

Postby Erebus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm

RadarGrrl wrote:
Erebus wrote:
RadarGrrl wrote:Here is VE3TUX/VA3PSB. Obviously once I'm on the Island (six more weeks), these'll change.

Nata

You can keep your call sign when you move, if you want. So it doesn't have to change.

73s de VE6FVD


When did that change? I understood I had 30 days to inform IC and obtain a new call for my new area.

I heard that about 10 years ago. I suggest calling the Industry Canada office and asking. If you don't like the answer, call another office. I'm sure you have the 30 days to send a change of address, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to change callsign.

From the radio.reference forum I found this dated Dec 2012:
"Just putting in my two cents worth re call signs. The worst thing that ever happened in both USA and Canada was when it became acceptable to move from one district to another and keep your existing call sign. It is as if personal vanity and history have replaced the former clarity that if you are for example in contact with a W1, you know for sure their QTH is in the Northeast US, unless they add mobile or portable to the call. Here in Canada same thing.... an operator can start out in one of our most obscure districts like the Yukon and get a VY1 call and then move to Ontario which is VE3 and now be an instant celebrity and I think tht verges on being a cheat, on dx especially. Oh boy I am in contact with a VY1.....but they are in Toronto... what a letdown. In the days when QSL's were maybe of greater interest it was wonderful to see all the different prefixes and know they meant something for sure. Same In the US, I think that other than the special two letter prefixes for the outlying territories and states (like KH6 for Hawaii), a 6 for example ought to 100-% mean California, not some guy who moved to New Jersey."

That would indicate it has been in effect for a while.

When I moved here from Montreal (VE2 land) I did change, but I don't remember whether I had to, or I did it because I wanted to get my initials.
Image "I could be just around the corner from heaven, or a mile from hell." -- Jackson Browne, "The road and the sky".


Return to “Radio Communications”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest