Why Do Mice like Delicas

An off topic forum, where you can talk about things other than Delicas. Site Rule 1.1.1 still applies.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

lrp374
Vehicle: 91 Super Exceed

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

Yeah I think I'm into the fine tuning now. The interaction will be the test. I looked @ that air/fuel ratio meter. What is the highest ratio it will show. It appears 20 may be max. but I thought I read somewhere you had a reading of 24 one time. I have always tried to install meters so that the range you operate it in is about 2/3 it's full scale. I guess that isn't possible here. It looks like a good thing to monitor so changes over time don't go unnoticed. Back to the tinkering.
Growlerbearnz
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica P25W

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by Growlerbearnz »

The Innovate MTX-L Plus has gasoline and diesel modes, and in diesel mode it will go from 7:1 to 99:1. The advertising tends to ignore diesel mode. To switch modes you need a Windows PC with a serial port (at Innovate Motorsports it's always 1995).
Nothing says "poor workmanship" more than wrinkles in the duct tape.
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

That serial port could be a problem. I used to have a dongle that plugged into a USB but I haven't used it for years.
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

Growler this may be another dumb question! During all my adjustments I managed to break one of the wires off on the engine side of the TPS connector. What does this do and should I be concerned. Why does a mechanical engine like this need to know throttle position? I've seen your repair method and think I can do it if necessary.

Thanks.
Growlerbearnz

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by Growlerbearnz »

It's primarily for the exhaust gas recirculation: you only want exhaust gas when the revs are high (ish) and under light throttle (when just cruising along the motorway). If you've removed your EGR you can ignore it.

When the engine is cold it seems to make the glow plugs operate a little more frequently during the first minute of running (the moment you put your foot on the accelerator you can hear them clicking on and off a bit more), but I don't think it does much- mine had a broken wire for a while and I never noticed any difference.
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :-D I don't have an EGR and I now have manual glow plugs so the broken wire shouldn't bother at all! I think I still need a little adjustment with the fuel but it's running good enough to test on a little trip in a couple of weeks. Maybe after that I'll give it a little more fuel. The EGT's are now a lot more control-able that's for sure.

On the mice note I now have some peppermint oil so we'll see if it works on the next trip.
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

On my last trip I soaked some cotton batten with peppermint oil and no mice! I saw evidence of mice some mornings on the table but none on my batteries. Is it the peppermint oil or ---- ?

Engine worked fine but still a little tweaking to do. Need a little more power especially with A/C on. No black smoke yet!
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

I'll post my engine update here Growler as it seems most appropriate and should end my tinkering. I have recently added about a 1/2 turn to the fuel and at a later date moved the diaphragm to the front a little. The EGT's still are a little faster and higher than I would like but the response is great and the boost is still very quick. Any further adjustments I think would be only fine adjustments and until I look @ getting an Air/Fuel meter I likely couldn't tell the difference. Thanks again for your expertise -- as usual!!
Growlerbearnz

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by Growlerbearnz »

Great! And the peppermint oil is keeping the mice away?

Having your feedback during tuning was helpful too. I've since streamlined the tuning process and made a more generic post (without the D4BF specific stuff) here: http://www.delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 58#p139658
Migshaw
Vehicle: 2002 L400 spacegear

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by Migshaw »

Also curious about the peppermint oil. I’ve been putting bounce dryer sheets in and around my vehicle but those give me headaches. :-(
0 to 60 eventually
lrp374

Why Do Mice like Delicas

Post by lrp374 »

The peppermint oil seems to work. I got a small sample from a health foods store. I put a small amount on a wad of cotton batten and place it between the batteries. I now use a rubber glove to hold the wad as that stuff is really strong and if you get it on your fingers it lasts for days. Goggle gives a whole bunch of ideas in any RV section but they always mention peppermint oil. Moth balls are also supposed to work but I can't stand the smell of them! I wouldn't use either one inside the van.

Return to “The Last Word Café ~ The Forum.”