Crimea, River Of Woes (thank god for punctuation).

An off topic forum, where you can talk about things other than Delicas. Site Rule 1.1.1 still applies.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Crimea, River Of Woes (thank god for punctuation).

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Not sure how many of you are following what is going down in the Ukraine. I, myself have been following it on the occasion. One thing that has caught my attention is the comment made by the Kremlin news presenter:
  • Russia could 'turn the US to radioactive dust', says presenter ~ The Independent

Are we heading to another missile crisis? One thing that has stood out to me, despite all the latest references made by various political leaders to the Third Reich and Hitler's annexing of Poland in regards to Putin's walking into Crimea, Ukraine ~ is how much this new century is reflecting the last one. We had an economic recession in 2007, there was an economic recession in 1907. We had another one in 2012, just like 1912. Now here we are in 2014. I really hope this is not going to play out in a similar fashion. Tomorrow, Tuesday the 18th of March, Putin is going to address the nation. Should be interesting.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
DR1665
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 89 USDM Pajero & 91 Galant VR4

Re: Crimea, River Of Woes (thank god for punctuation).

Post by DR1665 »

It's certainly an interesting, if not mildly scary, situation, Falco.

What I find most troubling, however, is not Putin's motives, but those of our elected "representatives" in the West. Despite all the messaging around humanitarian needs, we (America) seldom seem to get involved in places where there is no oil. Not to say I'm in league with the "all about the oil" conspiracy theorists, but it would seem we'd be far more active in Africa, where children are kidnapped, addicted to narcotics, and conscripted into soldiers who ruthlessly kill women and children in the name of whatever. ("Whatever" typically being power of some kind, traditionally a religion or corporate interest.)

I'm embarrassed by all the corporate-controlled shills representing my country in all this. To be sold bold as to chastise Putin for stepping into Crimea - right on their border, where they have an important naval base - after we invaded Iraq because of non-existent weapons of mass destruction, remain in Afghanistan long after eliminating Bin Laden (and knowing full well Al Quaeda, the Taliban, and assorted religious whackadoos will come right back the minute we leave), and swept humanitarian concerns so profound they threatened Formula 1 in Bahrain under the rug because we have a major naval base there, is to say quite a bit.

We can't fully sanction Russia, as the American and EU corporations operating within its borders would see business dry up. Instead, we'll get strong words, posturing, and increasing tensions until, as you suspect, someone does something stupid. Considering the caliber of the hucksters currently in power - and the oligarchs who stand to profit from military escalation - it doesn't look good.

Save the ones you can. Don't lose sleep over the ones you can't.
Brian Driggs | Gearbox Magazine
1989 Pajero 2.6 [rock] | 1991 Galant VR4 [rolla]
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

I see shots have been fired and balaclava clad Russian soldiers have taken a Ukrainian military base by force. I'm wondering what is going to happen if the Ukrainian government asks the West for assistance? Will we have an hemispheric referendum, then sign into law that the Russians are to leave Crimea in 72 hours? Will we have another charge of the light brigade? After all, it was the Battle Of Balaclava when that took place, back in the other Crimean War. Kind of fitting, really? The thing is ~ there's a rumour that Russia has weapons of mass destruction. We know this because we've seen satellite images of them being paraded through Red Square. Perhaps we should all go purchase buckshot in case some terrorists decide to fly a Boeing 777 into our houses. We can stand on our roofs and defend our homes, or perhaps play a fiddle. I guess I'm feeling a little depressed about it all.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
DR1665
Vehicle: 89 USDM Pajero & 91 Galant VR4

Post by DR1665 »

FalcoColumbarius wrote:Perhaps we should all go purchase buckshot in case some terrorists decide to fly a Boeing 777 into our houses. We can stand on our roofs and defend our homes, or perhaps play a fiddle. I guess I'm feeling a little depressed about it all.
And yet, you maintain a sense of humor through it all, mate. Good show.

Much to the chagrin of my red-blooded, right-leaning countrymen (who have, sadly, been led to believe compromise means absolute failure), I laugh at "2nd Amendment Solutions" like this. Should a government decide to wage war against the American people, a handful of NRA members with semi-auto ARs (and 1,000 rounds) are going to do anything when the power, water, and internet are shut down, and drones deliver tactical payloads from above. It's laughable, but whatever. It could be said we're already playing that fiddle.

Sadly, though I always find solace in knowing that, long before climate change gets bad enough to render the continental US a barren desert, my family will have emigrated to Canada, you can't get far enough away from nuclear fallout on such a scale.

The scariest thought in the world is knowing how profitable (cold) war is for those in power.
Brian Driggs | Gearbox Magazine
1989 Pajero 2.6 [rock] | 1991 Galant VR4 [rolla]
NAKAMI
Vehicle: MMC DELICA P35W 1997 Active World

Post by NAKAMI »

I`m sorry. Can`t say more, maybe you understand....

Return to “The Last Word Café ~ The Forum.”