Problems to look out for with 1995 L400

An off topic forum, where you can talk about things other than Delicas. Site Rule 1.1.1 still applies.

Moderators: BCDelica, mark

porcini75
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 95 L400

Problems to look out for with 1995 L400

Post by porcini75 »

Hi
I'm in BC & new to the group & considering to buy a 95 Deli L400 from a dealer importing it from Japan, the photo's I've been sent it looks in good shape both in & out, minor marks on body. The underside looks quite good & clean, no visible rust, just wear expected with a motor of this age. Can i lean on the forums experience of what else to look out for, obviously i'm not committing until I've seen/drove it.

1) I hear the 94-98 models can have some electrical issues & to look out for a mod to the glow plug wiring, standard wiring is to the 1st glow plug & connection to the others is via a plate causing the last to have less power & this can cause elec issues, has anyone else heard of this?

2) any other prob's such as fuel pump, transmission etc?

3) Are these imports properly under sealed for winter use, salt corrosion etc.

4) is the odometer likely to be incorrect?

OK so the dealer, lets me the Deli will be fully inspected & serviced to be brought up BC standards has anyone had any issues with dealers pulling the wool over your eyes or you finding them fairly straight up? i'm guessing the service history wont be translated. I've no reason to not trust the dealer & have to trust the service work is done, filters, all fluids, seals, bushes, brakes etc are done.

thanks for your input.
Cheers
doodah
Vehicle: 96 Delica L400 Exceed

Re: Problems to look out for with 1995 L400

Post by doodah »

I think it is in the dealer's best interest to do the work properly before the sale and it has been my personal experience that this is true (2 delis).

I did have hard starting issues on both vehicles in the first winter which was remedied by Steven at Rising Sun and have had no issues since. Hard starting in cold weather seems to be a regular issue if you search on this forum on that topic.
porcini75
Vehicle: 95 L400

Re: Problems to look out for with 1995 L400

Post by porcini75 »

thanks doodah.
I reckon the cold start issue is a glow plug thing, diesel in general are not a fan of the cold. thanks for thoughts in the dealers, i'll pay a visit to rising sun & silk road (most probably) to check what deli's they have to compare against the one i'm considering from amazing auto's. i have no knowledge of any of these dealers so be good to check them all out & kick a few tires.

Return to “The Last Word Café ~ The Forum.”