How to fit an EGR blanking plate (Photo guide)

Mystery Machine

How to fit an EGR blanking plate (Photo guide)

Post by Mystery Machine »

If you are thinking of doing this job, (highly recommended! :wink: ) then here is a photo guide on one possible way to fit the plate to the EGR valve.

There is another way (removing the drivers seat and drivers side floor panel) but this can be a bit tricky if you're not too confident with unbolting things... :? :wink:

Please note: this guide does not cover the reasons for blanking an EGR valve, but is here purely as a guide for anyone thinking of doing the mod to their L300...

Tools I used:

12mm socket (short extension handy!)
10mm socket
10mm open ended or ring spanner
Short (stubby) crosshead screwdriver
Wide flat bladed screwdriver
(Oh - & some WD40!)

Here we go:

Lift up engine compartment cover & hold open with the strap next to the passenger seatbelt.

Slide drivers seat forward and peel back carpet to expose air filter cover. Remove wingnut (in RED) & remove cover.

Using 10mm socket OR stubby screwdriver, loosen the hose clip (in RED) and pull of end of rubber hose from air filter housing.

From the engine bay, loosen the other 2 hose clips (in RED) A 10mm ring spanner might need to be used for the one on the right because space is tight!! From drivers side, remove the rubber hose by gently twisting & pulling.
Next, using a 12mm socket, undo the two bolts (in BLUE) that hold the metal pipe down. In order to get to the right hand bolt, pull off the breather pipe from the top of the engine (in GREEN) and leave it off until the end.
In order to remove the metal pipe, unclip the hose from its two clips (in YELLOW) to give you more space to move it!

I had GREAT difficulty removing the metal pipe - it was stuck solid to the rubber hose! (in RED) If this is the same for you, lever a flat screwdriver under the lip of the hose to break the join & use WD40 to free it up (try not to knacker your knuckles up as much as I did!! )

If you haven't already, remove the breather pipe from the top of the engine (in RED) (I had to anyway to get to the nut holing the metal pipe)

When removing the metal pipe, I accidentally pulled of this pipe (in RED) from the end of 'another' valve! If this happens to you, make sure you push it fully back on before putting everything back together!

From the drivers side, use a flat bladed screwdriver to CAREFULLY pop out the four plastic lugs that hold the rubber 'curtain' in place (in RED) I lost one (pinged off SOMEWHERE never to be found!) so be careful!

Now you can get to the EGR valve, where you will need a 12mm socket to remove these two bolts (in RED) When the bolts are removed, carefully pull the valve back (towards the left as seen in the photo) and remove the thin gasket. If the valve is oily (as mine was!!! ) clean the surfaces where the gasket was sat, then insert the new blanking plate in it's place.

Make sure the blanking plate is in the right place, then insert the two bolts and tighten them up. You can JUST make out the shiny blanking plate between the oily valve and even more oily inlet manifold!! (in RED)
Once tightened, clean up the valve & manifold if you desire (although I didn't bother - I just wanted to get in & have a cuppa 'cause I was FROZEN!!)

Re-assembly is the reverse of the above steps!

When finished, make sure ALL pipes are properly connected & secured and nothing has been left loose.

Close up the covers, get in & DRIVE!! (after rewarding yourself to a nice cuppa! :D :D )

Hope this helps those who are thinking of doing the job?

Regards,

Bruce.
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Re: How to fit an EGR blanking plate (Photo guide)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

As An Addendum To Mystery Machine's Post:

I dedicate this post to Delicat. Delicat, you were right and I was wrong... smiles.

The reason why I did this is because I noticed that my EGR valve was full of sludge so I decided to clean it out. Delicat had told me that I should block it off but I argued that Mitsubishi had been making machines for sometime, including one of the most beautiful & functional aeroplanes in history ~ the A6 Zero.. so they ought to know what they are talking about. Delicat argued that it wasn't Mitsubishi's idea to put it in but the Japanese Ministry Of Transport's idea, in all their wisdom, God bless them. I cleaned it out, I polished it. This is what happened:

• My city mileage went from 8.5 kilometres per litre to six. My engine was running hotter with less power and pouring black soot out the tailpipe. I was genuinely chuffed. I turned my IP down by just under a quarter turn (a lot) in a bid to rid myself of this excess soot, which only pulled back the power. Fortunately, Delicat had given me a genuine Mystery Machine mild steel blanking plate and I decided to install it.

I acquiesce to Delicat's view, despite that he is arrogant, which I understand is because he is from Quebec. However, If there was one person I could choose to take into the bush with me because of his creative thought and work ethic ~ it would be Delicat. To be honest, I would also insist on Jay & Christine, too ~ I am into my cups, don't mind me ~ cheers!

When I dealt with my EGR blanking plate, unlike Mystery Machine, I decided to remove the driver's seat and the plate that the seat sits on so to have a clear view of what I was doing. Four 12mil bolts removes the seat; six bolts and five screws, the E-brake & fuel hatch cables removes the plate. The first time I did it it took me something like half an hour to execute ~ now it takes me ten minutes to pull out and put back in, maybe 15. Here are two views from the driver's door with the plate & hatch off:

Image Image

So.... The exercise is to replace the gasket with the blanking plate.

This is the gasket and a genuine Mystery Machine fabricated blanking plate (3mil mild steel):

Image Image

Comparative view:

When you remove the intake pipe ~ consider cleaning both it and the blow-by hose, as they likely have blow-by in them in the form of SLUDGE.

With these out of the way you can easily perform the operation.

Some of you will recognise that wall.

So, now you have the EGR Valve away from the mount, in goes the blanking plate.

In the meantime you want to seal off the vacuum hose with a machine screw to keep the pressure contained in the rest of the system.

Then you want to tie it off neatly to keep your engine compartment tidy:

Remember: A tidy Delica is a happy Delica! Have fun!!

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb
FalcoColumbarius
Site Admin
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/index.php?cat=11103
Vehicle: Delica; Chamonix GLX ('92 P25W)

Re: How to fit an EGR blanking plate (Photo guide)

Post by FalcoColumbarius »

Further photo evidence as posted by Lopar; this time demonstrating the complete truncation of the EGR valve.

Falco.
Sent from my smart pad, using a pen.

Seek Beauty... Image Good Ship Miss Lil' Bitchi

...... Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. ~ Japanese Proverb

Return to “Accessories, Modifications & Ideas”