Questions for a newbie Delica L300 with hopes of Campervan mods

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

Trewdat
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Delica

Post by Trewdat »

Hi. I Just bought an automatic diesel 1999 Delica L300 GLX Exceed with a low roof. Bought an original roof tray that's getting put on tomorrow and I'm expecting to get a ladder in the next while. Would love some suggestions to optimize this beast as light camper van (I'm not wanting to permanently alter the inside, install plumbing, etc.). I take short road trips to surf, rock climb, snowboard from a few days to a week, maybe two. I'm hoping to get a heads up display and already have a back up cam.

1) What are some basics of owning a diesel vehicle? I've never owned one and am unsure if there's any simple things I need to be aware of in order not to mess up the engine.

2) What's the best sleeping option? I'm thinking I'd like to check out a pop up tent that I can just strap to the rack/tray system I have. Suggestions? I really like the Adventure Kings Kwiky Pop Up Tent but I don't know where to get them in North America.

3) Where can I find replacement weather stripping and window seals?

4) I am utterly inexperienced at doing my own mods (installing a heads up display unit in my Mazda 3 was advance for me), but any reasonable small mods that will make this guy all the better for camping/road trips?

Any and all other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
joebillhill
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: 1989 Mitsubishi Delica l300

Post by joebillhill »

Congrats on the purchase Trewdat! Delica's are a fun little rig to put around in.
1) What are some basics of owning a diesel vehicle? I've never owned one and am unsure if there's any simple things I need to be aware of in order not to mess up the engine.
First thing a lot of people would recommend would be driving it like the old van it is. They're 20+ years old with little engines trying to push close to two tons. A pyrometer is a friend as well since the temp gauge in these can be finicky, slow, or unresponsive all together and an egt gauge will help tell you how hot the engine really is chugging up a hill or into a headwind. Other than that, regular fluid changes (keep the cooling system up to snuff) and letting her warm up and cool down after driving. (I'm looking into getting a turbo timer at some point so I don't keep looking so strange just hanging out in my van for a minute or so after I park it.)

I've built mine up over the years and it has the ability to be returned back to stock.
TheSetup.jpg
TheSetup.jpg (780.83 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Screenshot_2018-06-27-11-06-07.jpg
Screenshot_2018-06-27-11-06-07.jpg (394.68 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
it's not too bad. Drawers underneath and a prep/cook table that extends out the back to make mac and cheese under the huge tailgate. If I redo it I would look into the Westfalia bench seat setup, but if you can get a tent on top then that opens up a lot of room for activities in the interior!
3) Where can I find replacement weather stripping and window seals?
I'd search for it (sorry I'm lazy right now) but there is a post or two talking about replacements either on here or mdocuk.co.uk.
4) I am utterly inexperienced at doing my own mods (installing a heads up display unit in my Mazda 3 was advance for me), but any reasonable small mods that will make this guy all the better for camping/road trips?
I'd recommend blanking out the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. You are taking away a fuels emissions component but I believe the pros outweigh the cons as you get better gas mileage, eliminate exhaust being fed into your engine which increases it's wear and tear, and it's a handy little spot to put a EGT probe.
Replacing the front shocks is a pretty straight forward task as well.

Have fun!
-Joe

Return to “Delica Modifications”